Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3885
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by Harbal » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:16 pm

thedoc wrote: But that is VT's stock and trade,
The expression is "stock in trade", doc. Get it right next time.

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by thedoc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: But that is VT's stock and trade,
The expression is "stock in trade", doc. Get it right next time.
I thought of that, but I like my way better, and you knew what I meant.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3885
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by Harbal » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 pm

thedoc wrote: I thought of that,
Of course you did, doc.
but I like my way better,
Yes, I've noticed your judgement has a tendency to leave you looking rather dim witted.
and you knew what I meant.
That's no excuse for you not knowing what you meant.

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by thedoc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote:but I like my way better,
Yes, I've noticed your judgement has a tendency to leave you looking rather dim witted.
And less is expected of me that way.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:14 pm

What 'should' men focus on?

Walker
Posts: 4776
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by Walker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:16 pm

thedoc wrote:
Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: But that is VT's stock and trade,
The expression is "stock in trade", doc. Get it right next time.
I thought of that, but I like my way better, and you knew what I meant.
"What do you mean?" is, without a doubt, the stupidest question in the English language.

Not even "Huh?" comes close.

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by thedoc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:28 pm

Walker wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Harbal wrote: The expression is "stock in trade", doc. Get it right next time.
I thought of that, but I like my way better, and you knew what I meant.
"What do you mean?" is, without a doubt, the stupidest question in the English language.

Not even "Huh?" comes close.
But it is also the most common, so are you saying that most of the human race is stupid? If so, I would agree.

Walker
Posts: 4776
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by Walker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:32 pm

In other words, you're asking what did I mean.

Yes, the irony. Ha ha.

You could have just cut to the chase and said, "Huh?

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by thedoc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Walker wrote:
You could have just cut to the chase and said, "Huh?
Huh? Better now?

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:03 am

thedoc wrote:
Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:You see what I did there?
The same thing you've been doing all along: making a pillock of yourself.
Oh my! Says the blind pot who can't see that he is not talking to a black kettle.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:19 am

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: I thought of that,
Of course you did, doc.
but I like my way better,
Yes, I've noticed your judgement has a tendency to leave you looking rather dim witted.
and you knew what I meant.
That's no excuse for you not knowing what you meant.
Yet again Harbal rides into a post, on his donkey, to tilt at windmills, contributing nothing salient to the thread.

This is a philosophy forum, and you are on a thread about the role of women with regard to employment or children. If you have nothing to say on the subject, bugger off and allow people the space to discuss. Have you run out of toilet walls to write on? No friends to play with, so you'd rather make enemies? Go do it elsewhere, unless you actually have something salient to say.

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:31 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:What 'should' men focus on?
What women want them to focus on? :wink:

Actually it's a good question. It's not as if they have to choose between a job or being a dad, or balancing between the two. Or do they? 'House husbands' are growing in numbers and I'm constantly hearing men talk about how they are the ones to get a family meal on the table, of an evening.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3885
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by Harbal » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:37 am

ForCruxSake wrote: Or do they? '.
I don't know.

Walker
Posts: 4776
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by Walker » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:What 'should' men focus on?
For the man in family, vigilance over truth, ahimsa, cherishing and protecting the precious, calculating implications of action and inaction in light of purpose.

From this focus arises the proper attitudes, occupation, home and activities.

In the end, men don’t say they wish they had spent more time away from their families (of course there are always the exceptions.)

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6916
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Should women focus more on jobs or children?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:25 am

ForCruxSake wrote:
Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: I thought of that,
Of course you did, doc.
but I like my way better,
Yes, I've noticed your judgement has a tendency to leave you looking rather dim witted.
and you knew what I meant.
That's no excuse for you not knowing what you meant.
Yet again Harbal rides into a post, on his donkey, to tilt at windmills, contributing nothing salient to the thread.

This is a philosophy forum, and you are on a thread about the role of women with regard to employment or children. If you have nothing to say on the subject, bugger off and allow people the space to discuss. Have you run out of toilet walls to write on? No friends to play with, so you'd rather make enemies? Go do it elsewhere, unless you actually have something salient to say.
Harbal can say more in one sentence than you can in 100 paragraphs.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest