Womyn and Philosophy

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Throng

Re: Womyn and Philosophy

Post by Throng » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:39 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Throng wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
So in other words your contribution was utterly without merit.
I fail to see how that paraphrases anything I've said.
:roll: I think you might want to look up the word "paraphrase". :lol:
You said "in other words".

Greta

Post by Greta » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:51 am

HexHammer wrote:From nature's side women are highly social and wants educations and jobs that interacts with other humans, besides physics and such requires logical thinking which they are less good at.
A stereotype. I don't fit any of that criteria. I worked as an analyst behind the scenes, crunching numbers, generating reports and highlighting key areas.

Throng

Post by Throng » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:28 am

Greta wrote:
HexHammer wrote:From nature's side women are highly social and wants educations and jobs that interacts with other humans, besides physics and such requires logical thinking which they are less good at.
A stereotype. I don't fit any of that criteria. I worked as an analyst behind the scenes, crunching numbers, generating reports and highlighting key areas.
I think the narrative attached to gender is really just the normalisation project in which 'common-knowledge' is prescribed not as truth, but as descriptive of the imagined dyadic order of gender that organises individuals into reproductive institutions for the sake of cultural replication. Even the individual's name is subsequent to sex, as boys names and girls names. The song, "A Boy Named Sue", reflects the disciplines that regulate the 'defeminisation' that constitutes masculinity. In the song, Sue was continually threatened as his name feminised him, and he had to violently repudiate the femme in order to be manly. It all worked out in the end, though :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pex_ASYQPM

Greta

Post by Greta » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 am

Throng wrote:
Greta wrote:
I think the narrative attached to gender is really just the normalisation project in which 'common-knowledge' is prescribed not as truth, but as descriptive of the imagined dyadic order of gender paradigms that organise individuals into reproductive institutions for the sake of cultural replication. Even the individual's name is subsequent to sex, as boys names and girls names. The song "A Boy Named Sue" reflects the disciplines that regulate the 'defeminisation' that constitutes the masculinity. In the song, Sue was continually threatened as his name feminised him, and he had to violently repudiate the femme in order to be manly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pex_ASYQPM
I know the song. I preferred Mercy Seat personally. Ring of Fire too lol

The "normalisation project" is a piecemeal affair - more stringent here, more relaxed there. While there may be general biological tendencies, gratuitous conditioning also plays a role. Whatever, I have known too many brilliant women, including my mother, to be much impressed with the kinds of patronising stereotypes that we have to push against. Truly, there are plenty of us who aren't stupid and who don't listen to childish music.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Greta wrote:The "normalisation project" is a piecemeal affair - more stringent here, more relaxed there. While there may be general biological tendencies, gratuitous conditioning also plays a role. Whatever, I have known too many brilliant women, including my mother, to be much impressed with the kinds of patronising stereotypes that we have to push against. Truly, there are plenty of us who aren't stupid and who don't listen to childish music.
Because that's how it is? If you see on women's home turf like cosmetology men will usually score highest and become the best, words of a female teacher.
Here in Denmark many feminists has complained that our government TV channel "Danmarks Radio" for the most part only have male analysts, even when the boss is a woman, she explained it's because women only prefer to speak about a specialized area, where men likes to babble about anything out of their field of expertise. Also too many male journalists, it's because men can be send out immediately with no prior notice, and for as long as it takes.

Only about 3% of women uses the logical area of their brain, sorry to state the facts as they are.

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Throng wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Throng wrote:
I fail to see how that paraphrases anything I've said.
It's an idiom, not taken literally.
Is English not your first language.

Let me give you an example.

All Tories members voted for the silly motion.
Paraphrase: Conservative MPS voted yes.

In other words Tories are silly.

Throng

Post by Throng » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 am

HexHammer wrote:
Greta wrote:The "normalisation project" is a piecemeal affair - more stringent here, more relaxed there. While there may be general biological tendencies, gratuitous conditioning also plays a role. Whatever, I have known too many brilliant women, including my mother, to be much impressed with the kinds of patronising stereotypes that we have to push against. Truly, there are plenty of us who aren't stupid and who don't listen to childish music.
Because that's how it is? If you see on women's home turf like cosmetology men will usually score highest and become the best, words of a female teacher.
Here in Denmark many feminists has complained that our government TV channel "Danmarks Radio" for the most part only have male analysts, even when the boss is a woman, she explained it's because women only prefer to speak about a specialized area, where men likes to babble about anything out of their field of expertise. Also too many male journalists, it's because men can be send out immediately with no prior notice, and for as long as it takes.

Only about 3% of women uses the logical area of their brain, sorry to state the facts as they are.
Citation needed.

Throng

Post by Throng » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:45 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Throng wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Is English not your first language.

I'm glad to see that you know what a paraphrase is. You might pay more attention to your punctuation and paragraphs, especially when critiquing another person's English.

Greta

Post by Greta » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 am

HexHammer wrote:

It seems to me that you have not used the logical part of your brain in presenting those "facts as they are". What is the "logical part of the brain"? The left hemisphere? If we didn't use the left hemisphere we couldn't speak. The frontal lobe?
The study found that parts of the frontal lobe, responsible for problem-solving and decision-making, and the limbic cortex, responsible for regulating emotions, were larger in women [source: Hoag 2008]. In men, the parietal cortex, which is involved in space perception, and the amygdala, which regulates sexual and social behavior, were larger [source: Hoag 2008].
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/i ... rains1.htm

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:27 am

Greta wrote:It seems to me that you have not used the logical part of your brain in presenting those "facts as they are". What is the "logical part of the brain"? The left hemisphere? If we didn't use the left hemisphere we couldn't speak. The frontal lobe?
The study found that parts of the frontal lobe, responsible for problem-solving and decision-making, and the limbic cortex, responsible for regulating emotions, were larger in women [source: Hoag 2008]. In men, the parietal cortex, which is involved in space perception, and the amygdala, which regulates sexual and social behavior, were larger [source: Hoag 2008].
This proves nothing, infact it only proves that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

How does this prove anything? How does this take account that all sports like physical based as mental based are divided? If women really are that smart, then there would be no gender divide in chess, in e-sports etc.

Throng

Post by Throng » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Greta wrote:It seems to me that you have not used the logical part of your brain in presenting those "facts as they are". What is the "logical part of the brain"? The left hemisphere? If we didn't use the left hemisphere we couldn't speak. The frontal lobe?
This proves nothing, infact it only proves that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

How does this prove anything? How does this take account that all sports like physical based as mental based are divided? If women really are that smart, then there would be no gender divide in chess, in e-sports etc.
On the contrary, it provides a basic commentary on the research findings, and rather than prove anything specifically, it's interesting and informative. I didn't see that it does account the things you mentioned, but I could perhaps mention 100 other things that the article did not address (as it only addressed a few things). Since I haven't read on it, and have little to no knowledge about brains, apart from them being zombie food, I simply do not know. I have no idea what "all sports like physical based as mental based are divided?" even means. I have no idea of the statistics of men and women who play chess, and looking at images here of e-sports I do not see a single female competitor (though that might due to their intelligence). Mostly, I don't insinuate that women are of inferior intelligence because that says more about mine than theirs.

Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Throng wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Throng wrote:
Is English not your first language?

I'm glad to see that you know what a paraphrase is. You might pay more attention to your punctuation and paragraphs, especially when critiquing another person's English.
I was not criticising your English.
But I was puzzled why you do not know the phrase "in other words".

Greta

Post by Greta » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:47 pm

HexHammer wrote:This proves nothing, infact it only proves that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I note your emotional response. Is there logic to follow up or are you just an emotional creature, lacking the capacity to use logic?
HexHammer wrote:How does this take account that all sports like physical based as mental based are divided? If women really are that smart, then there would be no gender divide in chess, in e-sports etc.
Many more men like sports and games (esp. war games) than women do.

Regarding cognitive abilities, the differences within genders are far greater than the differences between them. This is common knowledge amongst psychology professionals.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:11 am

Throng wrote:On the contrary, it provides a basic commentary on the research findings, and rather than prove anything specifically, it's interesting and informative. I didn't see that it does account the things you mentioned, but I could perhaps mention 100 other things that the article did not address (as it only addressed a few things). Since I haven't read on it, and have little to no knowledge about brains, apart from them being zombie food, I simply do not know. I have no idea what "all sports like physical based as mental based are divided?" even means. I have no idea of the statistics of men and women who play chess, and looking at images here of e-sports I do not see a single female competitor (though that might due to their intelligence). Mostly, I don't insinuate that women are of inferior intelligence because that says more about mine than theirs.
What we are talking about here is wishful thinking from your part.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:21 am

Greta wrote:
HexHammer wrote:This proves nothing, infact it only proves that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I note your emotional response. Is there logic to follow up or are you just an emotional creature, lacking the capacity to use logic?
What I say is factual and you make a feeble answer.
HexHammer wrote:How does this take account that all sports like physical based as mental based are divided? If women really are that smart, then there would be no gender divide in chess, in e-sports etc.
Greta wrote:Many more men like sports and games (esp. war games) than women do.
Then name me an area where women exceeds men, right now you are only grasping for straws.
Greta wrote:Regarding cognitive abilities, the differences within genders are far greater than the differences between them. This is common knowledge amongst psychology professionals.
That still doesn't explain why sports are gender divided. Even when you compare the best esports women to men, there's a huge skill gap. I think cooking has roughly equal men and women ratio, but still it's dominated by men, even here in Denmark where we have very strict gender equality laws, it's still dominated by men, why are there so few female leaders, because men are more likely to do what it takes.

You are in denial, and only see what you wants to see!