Is whistling wrong?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is whistling wrong?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Come to think about it, how did it come about? Is it unethical?

PhilX
HexHammer

Re: Is whistling wrong?

Post by HexHammer »

You posting your usual utterly stupid posts are wrong! ..it's an endless purgatory!
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Is whistling wrong? Well that depends on teh size of the whistle and how far you can shove it. Most would say that's a feeling of "right".
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

The first whistle was supposedly if history is to be believed discovered by the Babylonians in 2340 BC, but originally they denote in the fable of Gilgamesh they had stolen the whistle from their gods, who could put their lips together and just blow.

Modern historians now think that at some point as yet unknown someone maybe called Steve maybe in the Maltese Falcon, maybe on some sort of Sunday morning put their lips together and blew and a whistling noise came out. Of course historians are in disgfreement of whether it was humpfretias of Bogart a 12th BC detective of the unknown who first whistled when inspired by a conforming concensus of who and who may or may not of whistled.

Often parodied but never really could capture the original moment in history. No more than we can capture when a man first kissed a woman, or indeed really really REALLY loved a woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9P4dU ... freload=10

I think this comes close. Is blowing smoke rings out of your ass immoral, I hope not...
Philosophy Explorer

Blaggard wrote:The first whistle was supposedly if history is to be believed discovered by the Babylonians in 2340 BC, but originally they denote in the fable of Gilgamesh they had stolen the whistle from their gods, who could put their lips together and just blow.

Modern historians now think that at some point as yet unknown someone maybe called Steve maybe in the Maltese Falcon, maybe on some sort of Sunday morning put their lips together and blew and a whistling noise came out. Of course historians are in disgfreement of whether it was humpfretias of Bogart a 12th BC detective of the unknown who first whistled when inspired by a conforming concensus of who and who may or may not of whistled.

Often parodied but never really could capture the original moment in history. No more than we can capture when a man first kissed a woman, or indeed really really REALLY loved a woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9P4dU ... freload=10

I think this comes close. Is blowing smoke rings out of your ass immoral, I hope not...
Hi Blag,

A quick internet check says a possible origin is sailors from the navy. I don't put much stock in that explanation. Why men should express themselves in that manner I think gradually developed IMHO. Why pretty women should get offended is beyond me and is one of the casualties of PC.

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Well to be honest women are bipolar, egomaniacal narcissists. They are quite fragile at times, and when someone gives them slightest hint of rudeness, well just say that they have nothing better to do than gossip about it. You see estrogen kind of promotes a kind of high, a very fragile kind of high, leading to "chip on shoulder" and "dont touch me" behavoirs.

Don't underestimate the power of a woman, they've made many pointless crusades and internet threads making people second guess themselves about nothing. Much ado about nothing. If the right man or the right woman whistled at them, they'd be clapping their hands.

But would a woman devote her time on a crusade to give animals basic ethical liberties? Absolutely not, she only cares about her petty problems. Does she care about the nature of existence? Of course not. Every now and then there's a woman who makes the exception though.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Well to be honest women are bipolar, egomaniacal narcissists. They are quite fragile at times, and when someone gives them slightest hint of rudeness, well just say that they have nothing better to do than gossip about it. You see estrogen kind of promotes a kind of high, a very fragile kind of high, leading to "chip on shoulder" and "dont touch me" behavoirs.

Don't underestimate the power of a woman, they've made many pointless crusades and internet threads making people second guess themselves about nothing. Much ado about nothing. If the right man or the right woman whistled at them, they'd be clapping their hands.

But would a woman devote her time on a crusade to give animals basic ethical liberties? Absolutely not, she only cares about her petty problems. Does she care about the nature of existence? Of course not. Every now and then there's a woman who makes the exception though.
Can't say I disagree. Women make bullshit philosophers.
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Come to think about it, how did it come about? Is it unethical?

PhilX
It might help if you actually specified what kind of whistling you are talking about. I adore men who whistle as they work and go about their business. It's the most beautiful sound in the Universe if it's done well. There was a whistling man in the supermarket the other day and it nearly sent me into a blissful slumber. I could have hugged him.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Come to think about it, how did it come about? Is it unethical?

PhilX
It might help if you actually specified what kind of whistling you are talking about. I adore men who whistle as they work and go about their business. It's the most beautiful sound in the Universe if it's done well. There was a whistling man in the supermarket the other day and it nearly sent me into a blissful slumber. I could have hugged him.
I'm talking about men who whistle at women in admiration of their beauty (a double whistle in fact, not necessarily a wolf whistle).

In some places, this is outlawed.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

PhilX
I'm talking about men who whistle at women in admiration of their beauty (a double whistle in fact, not necessarily a wolf whistle).

PhilX
I think it's more of a yank 'custom'. I've never heard anyone do it here. It's considered bad manners. I believe even average women over there can't walk down the street without being harassed. There's a video on youtube that deals with it.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Philosophy Explorer wrote: I'm talking about men who whistle at women in admiration of their beauty (a double whistle in fact, not necessarily a wolf whistle).

PhilX
I say, break the rules. In some places it's illegal for a women to wear her scarf off. In some places it's illegal to spit on the sidewalk.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I think it's more of a yank 'custom'. I've never heard anyone do it here. It's considered bad manners. I believe even average women over there can't walk down the street without being harassed. There's a video on youtube that deals with it.
Depends what street. Some streets are so stupid you get shot for wearing the wrong color, male or otherwise. Now that's what I call heavy artistic criticism. Other streets are just fine.

Brits love their manners, but parliament doesn't seem to give a care about basic animal rights last time I checked. Also, I don't see why Americans swoon at the news of the royal family, ridiculous in my opinion, it's not even their country. The British rules have some tyrannical clauses as well, forbidding any talk which is not "patriotic" in their opinion. Some people take manners too far...What's with the royal gaurds having to stand in place all day? Seems abusive and nonsensical to me, but leave it to humans that's what you get.
vegetariantaxidermy

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote: I'm talking about men who whistle at women in admiration of their beauty (a double whistle in fact, not necessarily a wolf whistle).

PhilX
I say, break the rules. In some places it's illegal for a women to wear her scarf off. In some places it's illegal to spit on the sidewalk.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I think it's more of a yank 'custom'. I've never heard anyone do it here. It's considered bad manners. I believe even average women over there can't walk down the street without being harassed. There's a video on youtube that deals with it.
Depends what street. Some streets are so stupid you get shot for wearing the wrong color, male or otherwise. Now that's what I call heavy artistic criticism. Other streets are just fine.

Brits love their manners, but parliament doesn't seem to give a care about basic animal rights last time I checked. Also, I don't see why Americans swoon at the news of the royal family, ridiculous in my opinion, it's not even their country. The British rules have some tyrannical clauses as well, forbidding any talk which is not "patriotic" in their opinion. Some people take manners too far...What's with the royal gaurds having to stand in place all day? Seems abusive and nonsensical to me, but leave it to humans that's what you get.
It's a cultural thing, deeply ingrained in the British. No one does a wedding or funeral like the Brits. Americans make a great job of a different kind of pageantry, like the 4th of July parade.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa7VzfWJQg

Wolf whistling is ok, it's ok to appreciate the female form, sexual harassment, perhaps not.
vegetariantaxidermy

Blaggard wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa7VzfWJQg

Wolf whistling is ok, it's ok to appreciate the female form, sexual harassment, perhaps not.
Well maybe the 'female form' doesn't appreciate being 'appreciated'. Lots of young girls have no idea that their very shape causes spastic fits in certain males. They tend to be highly self-conscious, and embarrassed easily.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa7VzfWJQg

Well maybe the 'female form' doesn't appreciate being 'appreciated'. Lots of young girls have no idea that their very shape causes spastic fits in certain males. They tend to be highly self-conscious, and embarrassed easily.
There's something there about going out in public, or not.