A Man For Every Lesbian

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

A Man For Every Lesbian

Post by tbieter »

"McCray enrolled at Wellesley College in 1972. While studying at Wellesley College, McCray became a member of the Combahee River Collective,[6] a Black feminist Lesbian organization, which inspired her to write prose and poetry.[7]

After graduation, she moved to New York City to work for Redbook. She published an essay in Essence Magazine in 1979, entitled "I Am a Lesbian",[1][3] an essay described as "groundbreaking" for how a black woman discussed her sexuality in a black magazine.[4] The purpose of the essay was to "dispel the myth that there are no gay black people".[8] Some of her poetry is included in Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology.[9]"

McCray met Bill de Blasio in 1991, when they both worked at New York City Hall for Mayor David Dinkins.[3][10] At the time, de Blasio was the aide to a deputy mayor and McCray was a speechwriter. McCray and de Blasio fell in love and, in 1994, were married in Prospect Park, Brooklyn.[3][15] Asked about her sexuality, McCray has stated that she hates "labels".[16] In 2012, when asked about her 1979 essay, she commented: "In the 1970s, I identified as a lesbian and wrote about it. In 1991, I met the love of my life, married him."[17]
McCray and de Blasio are the parents of a daughter and a son and live in Park Slope, Brooklyn.[3][10]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirlane_McCray

What a man! The mayor turned her!
Arising_uk

Re: A Man For Every Lesbian

Post by Arising_uk »

Or she was just bi-sexual.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

you can just as easily find a story about an ostensibly straight woman who becomes a lesbian
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Lol best thread title ever.

Bookmarking, this should be interesting.

:popcorn: :lol: :P

Just goes to show love can be found in the most unexpected places. :)

Or a straight man becomes gay. It happens all the time, it means usually they were bisexual and just had greater feelings for one sex or the other. The brain is pretty plastic as well, some people will always be straight or gay some wont.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

from what i can tell it is more common for a woman who never felt sexually attracted to other women to suddenly find herself falling for woman - than a having a similar thing happen to a man
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Kayla wrote:from what i can tell it is more common for a woman who never felt sexually attracted to other women to suddenly find herself falling for woman - than a having a similar thing happen to a man
I know an academic philosopher who turned gay. He and his ex-wife were in the same department.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

tbieter wrote:
Kayla wrote:from what i can tell it is more common for a woman who never felt sexually attracted to other women to suddenly find herself falling for woman - than a having a similar thing happen to a man
I know an academic philosopher who turned gay. He and his ex-wife were in the same department.
I doubt he suddenly became gay, but more likely he found out he was attracted to men too, but that's probably what you meant.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

a friend of mine used to think that he is fully straight

but then he met this one guy with whom he immediately wanted to get very cuddly - and he did

but he has no interest in any other guys

is he straight? bi? gay? none of the labels quite work
Blaggard

uit

Post by Blaggard »

Kayla wrote:a friend of mine used to think that he is fully straight

but then he met this one guy with whom he immediately wanted to get very cuddly - and he did

but he has no interest in any other guys

is he straight? bi? gay? none of the labels quite work
Quite, I have always slept with women, but some guys I have noticed, and thought I could sleep with, but is that me being straight or gay or bi or just human nature?

Frankly I don't even know what straight means any more. Being straight I have no comprehension of sexuality beyond the fact that I like putting my penis into women, the other stuff meh, is odd. ;)
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

recently a nice old lady (lots of nice but somewhat batty old people in our neck of the woods) told my fiancee and I that we are not really lesbians

i asked her to elaborate

well in her mind lesbians are butch and have tatoos and short haircuts and are militantly pro-choice etc etc

neither of us fits that mold - we are nice southern girls

this is not the first time i encountered this type of thinking