Marriage

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Kayla

Re: Marriage

Post by Kayla »

Blaggard wrote:If it's a Christian Marriage and don't get me wrong, it's all good, please don't invite me to the wedding service, the party afterwards will suffice, it's not that it isn't nice and cozy and so on, but it does tend to go on and on and bloody on, which for something that is supposed to be eternal I suppose is somewhat relevant but jeez, can we have the edited highlights?
the legal - according to human laws - part of our wedding was in montreal where they have no problem with two girls or two guys getting married

my brother and his fiancee got married there as well so that we can have a double wedding in a place that allowed me to get married

the civil part was over pretty quickly

more family and friends took the trip to Montreal than we anticipated so there was a good party afterwards in a place where drinking age is a very reasonable 18

the part covered the hotel bar as well as several hotel rooms and at one point a very nice security guard, speaking with a really cute french accent, informed us that our noise levels are just at the border of where there could be legitimate complaints so please do not cross that border

he then told my wife and i that he is getting off shift soon and would be delighted to have a 3some with us. he managed to do it without being rude or creepy - in a way that could be treated as a lighthearted joke if we were not interested - which we were not. Very few men can do this - those french are so cute.

the religious part was at a no heller baptist church in appalachian backwoods, presided over by a man who looks like Hersche's (from the Walking Dead) twin. the actual religious ceremony was pretty quick but 'herschel', fortified by some appalachian moonshine (yes some stereotypes are true) delivered his thoughts at length before the ceremony

he included his own reasons for changing his views on same -sex marriage. the main argument against same-sex marriage he said, is the orgies that gays and lesbians hold wherever they go. since we have not been hosting any orgies - and he asked that he be informed should that change - this argument does not hold water

And did those men in ancient times walk upon England's, blah fricking, blah, and was the new Jerusalem builded here, la, la, la,la, la and did the lamb of God, la, la England's pleasant and green back yard, etc Amen. Can we go now. Because I am pretty sure England's green and pleasant land has been well fertilised, so we can probably dispense with the second hymn no? Damn, In the garden of Eden Honey... :P

Thinking of watching 4 Weddings and a Funeral now for some reason... ;)[/quote]
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Well it sounds like a good time was had by all and gz on the marriage. Let's hope you have many more welcome parties in future, and no I don't meant the tri party deal. Unless it is welcome of course. And then well it's all just sex, who cares. Sex is an important part of life don't get me wrong, after all it means the species gets to go on (not a dig by the way, if we have learnt anything in the last 100 years is what the world doesn't need is another person throwing out babies from their womb like it's Christmas in babyland, and besides you probably could chose to have children if you want, and that's also fine).

But who and whom you have sex with is such an unimportant issue that we would hope one day no one will care, within legality of course, consensual and so on. But hell you can have sex with a tree for all I care whatever floats your boat. Although it might be good form to apologise to the tree afterwards, I am not sure that tree who sometimes procreates by self fertilisation and usually by cross fertilisation, is all that keen on you as it might be on a bee or a fly or a bird or a mammal that isn't that direct. It's always good to ask. And I think that's the point. Although a rather abstract one to say the least. :)
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Blaggard wrote:(not a dig by the way, if we have learnt anything in the last 100 years is what the world doesn't need is another person throwing out babies from their womb like it's Christmas in babyland, and besides you probably could chose to have children if you want, and that's also fine).
we are in the process of adopting the little girl we are foster moms to - the paperwork is insane and the social workers are a bit sceptical because we have become legal adults not so long ago ourselves - but we are getting there
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Kayla wrote:
Blaggard wrote:(not a dig by the way, if we have learnt anything in the last 100 years is what the world doesn't need is another person throwing out babies from their womb like it's Christmas in babyland, and besides you probably could chose to have children if you want, and that's also fine).
we are in the process of adopting the little girl we are foster moms to - the paperwork is insane and the social workers are a bit sceptical because we have become legal adults not so long ago ourselves - but we are getting there
Well that's cool. Good luck. If it's any consolation I am fairly sure if you were mixed parents it would be much the same, genuinely no idea though. I think when it comes to a child though, and if you want one enough, then you can put up with the bureaucratic shit, I think in a way the more hard it is to do the better chances perhaps the parents are more capable, and less likely to mess it up. After all if it was as simple as getting a dog or a cat...
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Blaggard wrote:
Kayla wrote:
Well that's cool. Good luck. If it's any consolation I am fairly sure if you were mixed parents it would be much the same, genuinely no idea though. I think when it comes to a child though, and if you want one enough, then you can put up with the bureaucratic shit, I think in a way the more hard it is to do the better chances perhaps the parents are more capable, and less likely to mess it up. After all if it was as simple as getting a dog or a cat...
My daughter went to a school that had a lot of same-sex couple parents. They all had really well adjusted children who called both parents 'mum' (they were mostly lesbian couples). They were just normal parents, and if anything the dynamics were more relaxed and healthy than hetero couples.
iMod

Post by iMod »

This thread seemed to degenerate into a 19 page shouting match, and was close to being deleted, However, not wishing it to look as if all the participants were being punished by the moderator for the sins of the few, I have chosen, fairly arbitrarily I must admit, a point at which it was still reasonably well-ordered, and cut it back to there.

Please note that if I have deleted any posts of yours that you were particularly proud of and think were worth preserving, I apologise. Sometimes a little wheat gets thrown out with the chaff when there's a lot of chaff. And there was a lot of chaff.

iMod
uwot

Post by uwot »

iMod wrote:This thread seemed to degenerate into a 19 page shouting match,
iMod
Ha! When has that ever been a cause for action? You must be Melchior.