Hypocrisy against women

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FrankGSterleJr

Re: Hypocrisy against women

Post by FrankGSterleJr »

Even in this day and age, there remains a mentality out there, albeit perhaps subconscious: Men can take care of themselves against sexual perpetrators, and boys are basically little men.

Also, I've noticed over many years of news-media consumption that when the victims are girls their gender is readily reported as such; however, when they're boys, they're usually referred to gender-neutrally as children. It’s as though, as a news product made to sell the best, the child victims being female is somehow more shocking than if male.

I’ve heard and read news-media references to a 19-year-old female victim as a ‘girl’, while (in an unrelated case) a 17 year old male perpetrator was described as a ‘man’.

I wonder whether the above may help explain why the book Childhood Disrupted was only able to include one man among its six interviewed adult subjects, there presumably being such a small pool of ACE-traumatized men willing to come forward for the book? Could it be evidence of a continuing subtle societal take-it-like-a-man mindset? (Note: I sent the book's author a query on this matter, thrice, but received no reply.)
Eugene Glus

Post by Eugene Glus »

Aren't women hypocritical themselves? Seems they've always been. Plenty of images during the history happen out there.
Women weren't enlightened, so dummy leads to dummy behaviour.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:01 pm I've never understood the mentality of calling women "whores" as if that's some terrible insult. What is wrong with a woman having a lot of sex... even if she does it for money? So what? It's business. If a man did it, would HE be a whore... and would that be bad? Or would HE be a good businessman?

A lot of men WANT whores, yet they speak of them in such disparaging terms.

Also, how is it that so many men want their woman to be sexually unlimited like a "personal whore", yet they will still insult such behavior in women in general?

Furthermore, men often hurl the label at women they don't even know, as if it's simply the worst insult they can think of.

It just doesn't make sense to me. It seems archaic and primitive and ignorant. Can anyone here offer more perspective and personal opinion about this?
Prostitution is an important, though dangerous public service which should be fully protected by the law, and not vilified, as it is, by people of all genders.

I'm sure you can think of a few phrases, you yourself have used against men in a similar vein.