What am I describing? Not a puzzle - need help.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SeanDyer

What am I describing? Not a puzzle - need help.

Post by SeanDyer »

Recently I've been getting right down to the basics and thinking about the foundations of my ethical belief. My reasoning has led me down the path of utilitarianism and that is what I'm currently exploring. I seem to have come to an unconventional conclusion. If someone will point me in the right direction and tell me what I am describing below then I'm sure you'll save me a lot of time that would otherwise be spent frustratedly skimming articles on the internet. Thanks.

Is it better that 1000 people experience a 5 on the suffering scale (with a higher number meaning worse suffering), or that 1 person experiences a slightly worse 5.1? If we assume that the 1000 do not know each other and do not have their suffering increased through some such means as sympathy for another of the 1000 people, and that no one observes the subjects mentioned suffering and suffers themselves through compassion then I would say it is better 1000 people suffer at a 5 than 1 person suffers at a 5.1. Suffering is bad because it is negative experience. Once you acknowledge this it becomes clear that it is experience that counts when attempting to reduce suffering. Whilst in the first instance there may be more suffering overall in the universe, it is not being experienced by any one agent. There is less suffering being experienced among the 1000 people than in the 1 person. In the second instance there is a higher level of suffering being experienced, and it is thus the less preferable situation.

As I said above, if someone could point me in the right direction so I can continue my considerations I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time.
SeanDyer

Re: What am I describing? Not a puzzle - need help.

Post by SeanDyer »

No one can give me a name? A theory, or a philosopher? A book, an article?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

utilitarian ethics: mill, spencer, bentham

-Imp
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Rawls develops a similar view in his Theory of Justice, I think, though he isn't primarily concerned so much with physical pain as with fairness.
SeanDyer

Post by SeanDyer »

Thanks for the info guys I'll check it out. Imp, could you be a bit more specific? If not thanks anyway.
SeanDyer

Post by SeanDyer »

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out now.
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

I seem to have come to an unconventional conclusion. If someone will point me in the right direction and tell me what I am describing below then I'm sure you'll save me a lot of time that would otherwise be spent frustratedly skimming articles on the internet
Sure, no problem. Look up: Ethical simpleton.