Formula One Bahrain and the value of a Boycott

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Formula One Bahrain and the value of a Boycott

Post by chaz wyman »

I'm a bit pissed off. I've had allowed myself the sin of following the F1 Grand Prix for years, but it has always been a guilty pleasure.
The 'sport' has shown an increasing obsession with money and in this pursuit it has abandoned any moral credibility it ever had.
Gone are the days when a few enthusiasts and a garage could make a good fist of it and produce a car that was competitive.
Despite that there are some good examples of kids who were far from rich getting all the way to the top to achieve the championship.
Lewis Hamilton is one such guy. But his team has sold its soul to the devil - half of McLaren is owned by Bahrainis. And it is for this reason that despite majority public opinion in the host country the F1 circus has visited this travesty of a country despite it staying away last year.
They have done a great PR job and have allowed Jean Todd, the "crown Prince" and Bernie Ecclestone to have their say in defence of the morally incoherent position of continuing to hold the event. whilst the ordinary people of Bahrain, are made silent. The ordinary Bahraini has no platform, no voice. They do not enjoy the luxury that we all take for granted- free speech and a vote.
The knock on the door in the middle of the night; the disappearances; the killings; the arrests of doctors who treat the victims of the regime - these are the day to day expectations of Bahrainis. All this whilst the drivers (also SILENCED) whose main aims are to win what was once the greatest show on earth impotently ignore the truth and continue to support an evil dictatorship.

So here I sit with my partner - with the TV switched off and we enjoy our own impotent rage in a boycott of F1. I just wanted someone to know that- because so few people seem to be listening, so few people care.
The Voice of Time

Re: Formula One Bahrain and the value of a Boycott

Post by The Voice of Time »

People we hold for immoral controlling financial assets is in no way a new thing in our lives.

Who was it again that bought Manchester United or Liverpool or something? I think the price was something like 3 Billions and I'm wondering if it wasn't one of those sheiks down in Arabia (not voted in sheiks).

The only thing you can comfort yourself with is the possibility of another Arab Spring next year or that your (and all the rest our governments) choose to take a stance on immoral regimes getting their hands on things of value to us.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

The Voice of Time wrote:People we hold for immoral controlling financial assets is in no way a new thing in our lives.

Who was it again that bought Manchester United or Liverpool or something? I think the price was something like 3 Billions and I'm wondering if it wasn't one of those sheiks down in Arabia (not voted in sheiks).

The only thing you can comfort yourself with is the possibility of another Arab Spring next year or that your (and all the rest our governments) choose to take a stance on immoral regimes getting their hands on things of value to us.
One way to act is to do what I have decided to do and that is change my phone provider from Vodaphone who are associated with McLaren. Obviously I have to do more than that. They, at least, have to be aware of why I am doing it.. I would also urge others to do likewise - and also tell them why they are doing it.
It might seem like a small thing to do, but were others to act as we may, responsibly then maybe enough people would be enough to have an effect.
One thing I can't do is nothing at all.

Do you know any Ethical Phone providers???

I've had quite dismissive comments on other Forums. "Its only a race", "I'm sure they will miss your custom". "ethical phone provider: does not compute".
It's only a race? I've been offered a job in a Kylon-B factory, its not for me to say what they do with it - its only a job!
Surely political change can only happen by the collective actions of the many?
Why have people so easily thrown away the only means to improve the political future - by dismissing themselves?
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

chaz wyman wrote:
Do you know any ethical internet providers for that matter? Are you also going to give up going online?

How do we ever know for sure that one company is ethical and the other not? Suppose both are unethical but only one is in the spotlight for it? Also...I think unethical companies are prone for trying to put each other in the "evil" spotlight as a means of propaganda to lift their own company. And while the propaganda may be true...it may not be true that another company is ethical. There may not be such a thing as good and evil in this instance...it could just be that all you have to choose from is "unethical" or "unethical".

What a choice...huh?
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Ethical Phone company? Hmm...

I guess there are some who are just in it for the money, but at the same time are ethically reasonable people, as far as business goes at least.

Try a smaller phone company. There are some smaller phone companies here in Norway and they make quite good deals both economically and if you're afraid that your company is into dirty business or immoral business.

I may note though that they have a tendency of getting bought up if they are successful, and failing if they are unsuccessful.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

artisticsolution wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
Do you know any ethical internet providers for that matter? Are you also going to give up going online?

THere is a growing phenomenon of ethical business. For example I bank with the Co-operative Bank and they guarantee not to put my money into the weapons industry or finance any dictatorships. I do not think that all Internet Providers are unethical - though that would depend on how strict you define ethical and what you regard as ethical.
Although this road might be difficult that is no reason to do nothing.

How do we ever know for sure that one company is ethical and the other not?

There are ways to find out.

Suppose both are unethical but only one is in the spotlight for it? Also...I think unethical companies are prone for trying to put each other in the "evil" spotlight as a means of propaganda to lift their own company. And while the propaganda may be true...it may not be true that another company is ethical. There may not be such a thing as good and evil in this instance...it could just be that all you have to choose from is "unethical" or "unethical".

What a choice...huh?