Critical thinking on new age beliefs required please

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeker36

Critical thinking on new age beliefs required please

Post by seeker36 »

Hello,
I am researching a book i would like to write about spirituality and idealism in general. I would very much appreaciate it if philosophy now message board users could offer me their thoughts and constructive criticisms on the new age beliefs that thoughts create reality, morality is a relative phenomenon and collective consciousness can create a kinder more humane world. Rational criticism only please,no blanket “it’s stupid,they’re stupid” or simple insults will be helpful to me.

Thank you for you time and energy,
Chris.
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Critical thinking on new age beliefs required please

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Is there a specific New Age belief that you are researching?

Is there a conclusion to the future book that you are looking to support?

Do you have a publisher yet?

Have you made a query page?

How old are you?

What is your background?

How would you describe The Philosophy Now Forums?

What country do you live in?

seeker36

Post by seeker36 »

Hello Bill,
Sorry, I have not been clear about what i mean specifically. I want to look at the weak version of the idea that "thoughts create reality". The notion that beliefs create human behaviours and that becoming aware of “the meaning of our meanings” through meditative practices or psychotherapy enables people to change their beliefs/behaviours in ways that embody compassion and generally pro social behaviours. Additionally, I’ve noticed a tendancy for critics of new age beliefs to “bash” new agers through accusing them of being amoral or ignoring “the reality of evil.” It is in this context that i wanted to discuss moral relativity. I hope that’s clearer.

In answer to your other questions:

-I guess it's impossible for me not to have a point of view from the outset, allthough i hope i am openminded enough to change my mind as evidence accumulates. When i look at the world from my current perspective i observe a colossal misanthropic, pessimistic and cynical attiitude to humanity and our potential to create a kinder more humane world. It seems to me that humanity does not believe in the power of compassion and kindness. I want to argue for belief in the human spirit that is grounded in reality, not dogma or pure idealism.

-No i do not have i publisher, it is the seed of a idea, nothing more at this time.

-Excuse my ignorance, but what is a query page?

- I am 38 on saturday.

-In live near london England.

-I would describe the philsophy now forum as a useful resource and and interesting meeting of ideas, worldviews and people.

-My background is pretty ordinary. I studied psychology and religious studies in Canterbury and i work at a plastics recycling plant in Dagenham.

Hope that helps,
Chris.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Hello Chris.

This is what I meant by a query page.

Sometimes a query page will help you focus upon a specific argument that you wish to explore or support.

Is this what you meant by New Age thought?

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Chris, you sound like a nice person.

I too would describe the Philosophy Now forum as a useful resource and and interesting meeting of ideas, worldviews and people.

If your background is pretty ordinary you will tower here!

Ordinary excels in this venue!

Your studies of psychology and religious studies in Canterbury could slow you down but your work at a plastics recycling plant in Dagenham will definitely be of value to you here. Pay attention at work!

Hope that helps.

One other thing...

Do you think that you may possibly enjoy more rewards by just posting here at the Philosophy Now forums and discussing points of interest rather than going through the discipline and stress of writing an entire book?

seeker36

Post by seeker36 »

Hello again bill,
I am delighted to meet you. I think i see what you mean by query page. A place to ask questions and clarify your thinking? As a matter of fact these posts have allready been of tremendous help to me in doing precisly that. I think i'll avoid the rather murky philosophical waters of realism/idealism and cut straight to the main thrust of where my thinking is going on this book idea. I now want to look at ethical theory and applied ethics(A dubious distinction to my mind) As far as using the term "new age thought" goes, i think i'll ditch that too. I'm finding it's an overly provocative and deeply loaded term.

Do you think that you may possibly enjoy more rewards by just posting here at the Philosophy Now forums and discussing points of interest rather than going through the discipline and stress of writing an entire book?
An excellent suggestion, allthough i don't think it has to be either/or. I notice you spend some time lurking in the moral philosophy sections, so i guess i'll be seeing you!
Chris.
John

Post by John »

seeker36 wrote:
An excellent suggestion, allthough i don't think it has to be either/or. I notice you spend some time lurking in the moral philosophy sections, so i guess i'll be seeing you!
Bill's just worried you might expect him to read your book because he's steadfastly refused to ready any philosophy books anyone has suggested so far. That's why he thinks your studies will hamper you but your work in the recycling plant will be of benefit. Not that I'm denying your work may be of benefit mind you.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Seeker36,

Would it not be better if you decide what the purpose of your book is first?

What are you trying to achieve by writing it?
seeker36

Post by seeker36 »

Hi all,
If i write a book, whether anyone chooses to read it is entirely up to them. As a matter of fact, Bill is right about my work. It's an excellent venue for thinking and contemplation because the work is fairly menial. The space to think creatively is one of the things i most enjoy about it. Arising uk, in answer to your questions, yes i want to get clear in my head exactly what my book will consist of and how to organise it. As a more general answer, I just want to get my thoughts on ethics out there because i enjoy the creative process and i feel i have something important and meaningful to say about the ethical debate. Thanks,

Chris.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

could you be a little less vague please

when someone says 'thoughts create reality" they can mean any of a large number of different things from the very reasonable view that reality as we comprehend it could not exist without us - basically more or less a standard Kant view - to a flaky new age view that the world exists because we think it does and when everyone thought the world was flat it was in fact flat
Notvacka

Post by Notvacka »

seeker36 wrote:I would very much appreaciate it if philosophy now message board users could offer me their thoughts and constructive criticisms on the new age beliefs that thoughts create reality...
I think that the most relevant argument against such magical thinking is that the notion itself is cruel.

Barbara Ehrenreich explains it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo

The argument I'm referring to appears five minutes into the video if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Notvacka wrote:
seeker36 wrote:I would very much appreaciate it if philosophy now message board users could offer me their thoughts and constructive criticisms on the new age beliefs that thoughts create reality...
I think that the most relevant argument against such magical thinking is that the notion itself is cruel.

Barbara Ehrenreich explains it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo

The argument I'm referring to appears five minutes into the video if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing.
I love those RSAnimates,thanks for linking that one. It explains at lot about the US.

Have a Nice Day!!!
seeker36

Post by seeker36 »

Hi everyone. I'm bugging out of this Idealism/realism thing anyway. The waters are way too murky for me. Just quicky though on the thoughts create reality thing, I thought I did clarify after my initial post:
Sorry, I have not been clear about what i mean specifically. I want to look at the weak version of the idea that "thoughts create reality". The notion that beliefs create human behaviours and that becoming aware of “the meaning of our meanings” through meditative practices or psychotherapy enables people to change their beliefs/behaviours in ways that embody compassion and generally pro social behaviours. Additionally, I’ve noticed a tendancy for critics of new age beliefs to “bash” new agers through accusing them of being amoral or ignoring “the reality of evil.” It is in this context that i wanted to discuss moral relativity. I hope that’s clearer.