Our oughtness-not-to-kill is weak!!

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Our oughtness-not-to-kill is weak!!

Post by Iwannaplato »

From...
posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=622841
Since the past to the present [same in the near future], the majority has a weak oughtness-not-to-kill-humans thus not able to control the inherent oughtness-to-kill which when directed to human beings results in evil acts.
Oh, God, it's so funny it's sad, or perhaps the other way around.

There are objective morals because if we look in brains we find neurons for empathy (mirror neurons). This shows that ought-not-to-kill is an objective moral fact.

BUT!!!!

Right now and in the past and in the near future, the oughtness to kill has the upper hand.

But somehow it isn't an objective moral fact.

How do we know which neurons to enhance?

Well, we know to enhance the oughtness-not-to-kill neurons because they exist in brains.

Wait, how do we know not to enhance the oughtness-to-kill ones? They exist in brains.

Because those are bad neurons.

How do you know this?

Because it is an objective fact that oughtness-not-to-kill neurons are there in the brain?

OK, but it seems like you are bringing your already formed morality to brains when you look at them and you choose which neurons to make objective facts by focusing on the neurons you like. Which would make it subjective.

No, killing is bad. We all agree about that.

If we did, there wouldn't be a problemand we wouldn't need to dream about being able to use genetic engineering, AIs and other technological interventions to make people the way you like them. Is it possible that you have preferences not an objective position

You and your whole PH gang are shallow and morally primitive. Nobel Prize winners said the Moon doesn't exist when we don't look at it, so nothing is objective or my stuff is objective too. You don't get to tell me my stuff isn't objective or I'll keep starting threads that seem to burn your house down too.

OK. So, your mirror neurons seem to not need enhancing. I just hope you understand why I don't want people who agree with you to change homo sapian DNA and/or control us with AI generated moral heuristics.

Even if this means I am passé.

And in your own assessment we are weak in oughtness-not-to-kill, which means....there is less than enough of what you consider objective evidence it is a moral fact. How could that possibly be?

But then. He don't read my posts.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Holmes

Re: Our oughtness-not-to-kill is weak!!

Post by Peter Holmes »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:53 pm From...
posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=622841
Since the past to the present [same in the near future], the majority has a weak oughtness-not-to-kill-humans thus not able to control the inherent oughtness-to-kill which when directed to human beings results in evil acts.
Oh, God, it's so funny it's sad, or perhaps the other way around.

There are objective morals because if we look in brains we find neurons for empathy (mirror neurons). This shows that ought-not-to-kill is an objective moral fact.

BUT!!!!

Right now and in the past and in the near future, the oughtness to kill has the upper hand.

But somehow it isn't an objective moral fact.

How do we know which neurons to enhance?

Well, we know to enhance the oughtness-not-to-kill neurons because they exist in brains.

Wait, how do we know not to enhance the oughtness-to-kill ones? They exist in brains.

Because those are bad neurons.

How do you know this?

Because it is an objective fact that oughtness-not-to-kill neurons are there in the brain?

OK, but it seems like you are bringing your already formed morality to brains when you look at them and you choose which neurons to make objective facts by focusing on the neurons you like. Which would make it subjective.

No, killing is bad. We all agree about that.

If we did, there wouldn't be a problemand we wouldn't need to dream about being able to use genetic engineering, AIs and other technological interventions to make people the way you like them. Is it possible that you have preferences not an objective position

You and your whole PH gang are shallow and morally primitive. Nobel Prize winners said the Moon doesn't exist when we don't look at it, so nothing is objective or my stuff is objective too. You don't get to tell me my stuff isn't objective or I'll keep starting threads that seem to burn your house down too.

OK. So, your mirror neurons seem to not need enhancing. I just hope you understand why I don't want people who agree with you to change homo sapian DNA and/or control us with AI generated moral heuristics.

Even if this means I am passé.
Nice one. VA won't have a clue, of course.
Iwannaplato

Re: Our oughtness-not-to-kill is weak!!

Post by Iwannaplato »

Our oughtness-not-to-kill-humans neurons are weak.*
But as evidence it is so strong it makes for an objective moral fact.**
Even though it is so weak it cannot control our oughtness-to-kill neurons which do not constitute an objective moral fact.
It's odd that my oughtness-not-to-be-manipulated neurons manage to control my gullible neurons so effectively they don't buy this 'logic'.

* According to Veritas Aequitas.
** According to Veritas Aequitas.