PH: What is Your Definition of 'What is Fact'

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

PH: What is Your Definition of 'What is Fact'

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes, I noted you have defined 'What is a fact' but it is all over the forum, thus it is difficult when I want to refer to what you meant by 'fact'.

Suggest you start a thread or in this thread to define 'what is fact' in your perspective.
This thread is solely to understand what you meant by 'what is fact' so I will not counter your views here.
I will bookmark this link for future reference.

In addition, provide relevant references in supporting of 'what is fact'.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: PH: What is Your Definition of 'What is Fact'

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holme's definition of 'what is fact'.
Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:34 amPH's Views
".................
To repeat, there are three separate things:
1. features of reality that are or were the case;
2. what we believe and know about them; and
3. what we say about them.

To simplify:
1. facts /
2. knowledge /
3. description.

In this methodological taxonomy, features of reality (facts or states of affairs) have nothing to do with what we know and say.

So I reject your claim that we somehow invent or create reality through what you call FSKs - though it's true that a description is always contextual and conventional.

And, obviously, I reject the idea that features of reality are, somehow, inside language - that they are linguistic phenomena.
(As I've pointed out many times, that we also use the word 'fact' to mean 'true factual assertion' is very confusing.)

.................."
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:29 am Peter Holmes, I noted you have defined 'What is a fact' but it is all over the forum, thus it is difficult when I want to refer to what you meant by 'fact'.

Suggest you start a thread or in this thread to define 'what is fact' in your perspective.
This thread is solely to understand what you meant by 'what is fact' so I will not counter your views here.
I will bookmark this link for future reference.

In addition, provide relevant references in supporting of 'what is fact'.
Perception is always true to biology experiencing that factual truth, but not being infallible it is only truly factual until successfully challenged. This might be from other similar biologizes not experiencing the same thing, or from a closer detailed inspection correcting one's previous judgment. In cases of delusion, it would need to be a differing biology that finds the error or the same biology in a different biological state.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas has started 25 threads with Fact in the title.
Three of these also have Peter Holmes named (in some way) in the title
All of them are aimed at Peter.

Instead of using a single thread to explore Fact and his disagreement with Peter, Veritas Aequitas aims at the most noise possible.