The rule of thumb

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: The rule of thumb

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:22 pm
Age wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:18 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:44 am

Cuz you never know what nutjob is behind the wheel. You might hitch 99 times and never have a problem. The 100th time: you end up as maggot chow in a gulley.
The same could be said for going to school, to work, to the pub, or to church. You NEVER know who was/is going to be there, correct?

You might do these things 99 times, ALSO, and never have a problem. But the 100th time, you end up as maggot chow in a gully, AS WELL.

Or, are these somehow DIFFERENT?
What does any of that have to do with hitchhikin'?
You SAID, "hitch hiking a ride was NEVER a good thing".

I just asked you, 'WHY NOT?'

You SAID, "because you NEVER know what "nutjob" is behind the wheel".

I was just POINTING OUT that you ALSO NEVER know what "nutjob" is AT school, AT work, AT the pub, NOR AT church AS WELL. But people STILL do those 'things' without considering nor saying that they are NEVER good things.

So, if you STILL can NOT YET work out what I WROTE had to do with hitch hitch hiking, then so be it.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:26 pm
What happens when you STEAL "another's" property "henry quirk"? Do "others" have a 'right' to SHOOT you DEAD also?
If I were dumb enough, greedy enough, or crazy enough to attempt to rob the other guy, then -- yeah -- I ought to expect to get shot.
Here is FURTHER PROOF of just how STUPID some people REALLY ARE.

They were either completely BLIND or just living in complete DENIAL. Either way STUPIDITY prevailed.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I was just POINTING OUT that you ALSO NEVER know what "nutjob" is AT school, AT work, AT the pub, NOR AT church AS WELL. But people STILL do those 'things' without considering nor saying that they are NEVER good things.
You don't see the difference between being in a fast-movin' car with a stranger and being in a room with a stranger?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Age wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:30 pm
What happens when you STEAL "another's" property "henry quirk"? Do "others" have a 'right' to SHOOT you DEAD also?
If I were dumb enough, greedy enough, or crazy enough to attempt to rob the other guy, then -- yeah -- I ought to expect to get shot.

They were either completely BLIND or just living in complete DENIAL. Either way STUPIDITY prevailed.
explain...if you can

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:33 pm
Age wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:30 pm

explain...if you can
Explain 'what' for you, EXACTLY?

Or, in other words, what is 'it' that you can NOT YET comprehend and/or understand?

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:32 pm
You don't see the difference between being in a fast-movin' car with a stranger and being in a room with a stranger?
YES I CAN.

One is being in a fast moving car with a stranger and one is being in a room with a stranger. BUT SO WHAT?

This, well to me anyway, does NOT make one NEVER good anymore than the other.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

BUT SO WHAT?
If things get dicey AT school, AT work, AT the pub, AT church you can make your way to an exit...try that with a fast-movin' car.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

what is 'it' that you can NOT YET comprehend and/or understand?
You asked...
I responded...
Your assessment is...

I wanna know how my acknowledgin' that I might get shot while robbin' another is STUPID, and that I'm BLIND or in DENIAL.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:43 pm
BUT SO WHAT?
If things get dicey AT school, AT work, AT the pub, AT church you can make your way to an exit...try that with a fast-movin' car.
So, how exactly do you make your way to an exit in a room with someone with a gun?

Also, the exit in a fast moving car, which HAS TO slow down eventually, could be a LOT closer than in a room.

By the way, how much more DETRACTING are you going to ATTEMPT?

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:51 pm
what is 'it' that you can NOT YET comprehend and/or understand?
You asked...
I responded...
Your assessment is...

I wanna know how my acknowledgin' that I might get shot while robbin' another is STUPID, and that I'm BLIND or in DENIAL.
The Fact that you might get SHOT while robbing "another", especially in a country where the people are OBSESSED with guns, and killing, is NOT STUPID. Being aware of that Fact is somewhat a sign of intelligence actually.

The Fact, however, that you are UNAWARE of the stealing that you have done and are doing is what is REALLY STUPID.

And this is WHY you are either completely BLIND or just living in DENIAL.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:43 pm
BUT SO WHAT?
So, you don't ride in elevators if there are others in it? There's no exit and you never know who's riding with you.

Through the 60s and early 70s, hitchhiking was pretty safe, safer than going to a Mall today. Millions of service men relied on hitchhiking on leaves and between bases and it was common for young adventurers to hitchhike across the entire country. I don't think it is safe today, but it's not hitchhiking, but the change in the kind of people there are. Nothing is ever perfectly safe, of course, but even today there are a great many things more dangerous than hitchhiking, I think.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

even today there are a great many things more dangerous than hitchhiking, I think.
no doubt
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

you don't ride in elevators if there are others in it?
not quite the same as bein' a passenger with someone else drivin' (callin' the shots)...but, yeah, I prefer the stairs
Walker

Post by Walker »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:07 pm So, you don't ride in elevators if there are others in it? There's no exit and you never know who's riding with you.
Bingo. It's either ride alone, or check 'em out real good.

Through the 60s and early 70s, hitchhiking was pretty safe, safer than going to a Mall today.
Yep. I hitchhiked a lot before I could drive, and I checked 'em out real good. A surprising number of middle-aged women would give rides. Motherly instinct.
Walker

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:14 pm
High-diddly-dee, a scofflaw's life for me...

0FD48E06-D683-4EA4-BEDE-056AE1E1A9F2.jpeg
:lol: