What is right?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

What is right?

Post by bahman »

Some strive for a Divine Principle, Evil, others strive for another Divine Principle, Good. Some decide to abuse, Divine Beings, others decide to be abused, us. What is right? To act based on the Divine Principle you accepted.
Walker

Re: What is right?

Post by Walker »

Based on that, acting on evil is right.

Why is it right to act on evil?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

bahman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:20 pm
The opposite of left.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Right stems from the necessarily valid relation between the surviving organism and causal reality. For the simplest organisms this is purely physiological rightness to reality; i.e. chemical compatibility, import energy/export waste. Then, organisms capable of behaviours must behave in a way conducive to survival., Surviving animals must necessarily be physiologically and behaviourally right to reality, or die out. Then human beings developed intellectual intelligence - and "right" took on myriad new dimensions. Fundamentally however, we remain subject to the overall principle, that we must be right to reality to survive.
Walker

Post by Walker »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:29 am
The opposite of left.
Shiny shiny! Me like shiny! :lol:

(Just kidding. I enjoy your enthusiasm.)

Hold up your Left hand, closed fist, and look at the knuckles.
Point forefinger to the sky.
Stick thumb out straight.
The digits are shaped like L, for Left.
Right is the other hand.
The right hand is the mirror opposite of the left hand.
Bi-lateral symmetry, yin and yang, duality.
Crazy bad actors need the adults to straighten things out every once in awhile, at least until the particular civilization can't bounce back from the cycle, and dies (Rome, Athens, and perhaps Western.)
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Walker wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:00 am
The opposite of left.

Right is the other hand.
Crazy bad actors need the adults to straighten things out every once in awhile, at least until the particular civilization can't bounce back from the cycle, and dies (Rome, Athens, and perhaps Western.)
I admit the response was intentionally satirical. It's because one cannot take anything bahman writes seriously. When I tried to explain that table salt is a compound of the two element sodium and chlorine, his response was: "Chlorine is another gas unrelated to this discussion. Chloride is not salt." That kind of insistent ignorance is almost breathtaking.

The question of what, "right," means is important. I could have said, "the opposite of wrong," of course, which would have been true. Since for every, "right," answer to any question, there are an infinite number of possible wrong answers, and mankind is bent on discovering them all and believing them, I would enjoy any serious answer to the question.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:20 am Fundamentally however, we remain subject to the overall principle, that we must be right to reality to survive.
If that means what we understand about reality must be right and we have to live in conformance to that understanding, that is absolutely correct. Almost every human problem can be put down to failing or refusing to discover the nature of reality or living in defiance of that nature.
Walker

Post by Walker »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:26 pm ... there are an infinite number of possible wrong answers, and mankind is bent on discovering them all and believing them,...
:lol:

Seems to happen with every fresh crop that's special and better than what came before.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Walker wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:56 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:26 pm ... there are an infinite number of possible wrong answers, and mankind is bent on discovering them all and believing them,...
:lol:

Seems to happen with every fresh crop that's special and better than what came before.
I've always liked the way H.L. Mencken said it:

"The costliest of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind."

There are two institutions dedicated to that occupation--government schools and all institutions of, "higher learning," called academia.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

... That which is not left.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Walker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:15 pm Based on that, acting on evil is right.

Why is it right to act on evil?
Because there is no reason that can give you a preference to choose good over evil. It is a matter of personal choice.
bahman

Post by bahman »

The opposite of left.
What?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:20 am Right stems from the necessarily valid relation between the surviving organism and causal reality. For the simplest organisms this is purely physiological rightness to reality; i.e. chemical compatibility, import energy/export waste. Then, organisms capable of behaviours must behave in a way conducive to survival., Surviving animals must necessarily be physiologically and behaviourally right to reality, or die out. Then human beings developed intellectual intelligence - and "right" took on myriad new dimensions. Fundamentally however, we remain subject to the overall principle, that we must be right to reality to survive.
What if survival requires killing other beings, like animals or humans, which is evil?

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:26 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:00 am
The opposite of left.

Right is the other hand.
I admit the response was intentionally satirical. It's because one cannot take anything bahman writes seriously. When I tried to explain that table salt is a compound of the two element sodium and chlorine, his response was: "Chlorine is another gas unrelated to this discussion. Chloride is not salt." That kind of insistent ignorance is almost breathtaking.

The question of what, "right," means is important. I could have said, "the opposite of wrong," of course, which would have been true. Since for every, "right," answer to any question, there are an infinite number of possible wrong answers, and mankind is bent on discovering them all and believing them, I would enjoy any serious answer to the question.
What is right'is just 'that', what EVERY one could agree with.

Like, for example, if there is no need to kill an animal, then it is wrong to kill animals. The vast majority of human beings, from the days when this is being written, do not need to kill animals. Therefore, very simply, 'what is right', in Life, is to not kill animals.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 am
Vitruvius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:20 am Right stems from the necessarily valid relation between the surviving organism and causal reality. For the simplest organisms this is purely physiological rightness to reality; i.e. chemical compatibility, import energy/export waste. Then, organisms capable of behaviours must behave in a way conducive to survival., Surviving animals must necessarily be physiologically and behaviourally right to reality, or die out. Then human beings developed intellectual intelligence - and "right" took on myriad new dimensions. Fundamentally however, we remain subject to the overall principle, that we must be right to reality to survive.
What if survival requires killing other beings, like animals or humans, which is evil?
But survival, for human beings, does NOT require killing of other beings. But, then again, this all depends on how you define the word 'beings'.