Philosophy of Sex

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jori

Philosophy of Sex

Post by Jori »

I have another crazy idea. The purpose of sex is procreation, not pleasure. If so, then we must only have sex to have a child, and not to have a good time. Furthermore if sex is fo reproduction, then we should only engage in sex if the conditions for raising a child well exist. Well, what's on your mind?
surreptitious57

Re: Philosophy of Sex

Post by surreptitious57 »

Procreation and pleasure are not mutually incompatible
Also the reason why human beings have recreational sex is because of endorphin release
Endorphins create positive mood and sex is one of the most natural ways to achieve this
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Jori wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 am I have another crazy idea. The purpose of sex is procreation, not pleasure. If so, then we must only have sex to have a child, and not to have a good time. Furthermore if sex is fo reproduction, then we should only engage in sex if the conditions for raising a child well exist. Well, what's on your mind?
So much for evolutionary psychology then!
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:45 pm Procreation and pleasure are not mutually incompatible
Also the reason why human beings have recreational sex is because of endorphin release
Endorphins create positive mood and sex is one of the most natural ways to achieve this
Why involve other humans, though?
What is the evolutionary purpose of wanking?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Masturbation results in endorphin release just like any sexual activity
So whether that activity is singular or multiple makes no difference
The objective is to achieve orgasm - how its achieved is academic
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:23 pm Masturbation results in endorphin release just like any sexual activity
So whether that activity is singular or multiple makes no difference
The objective is to achieve orgasm - how its achieved is academic
So sex is just a happy accident and one does not have give any thought to how they use it?

But if you did decide to give it some thought, wouldn't you begin with why human beings have a sexual nature? If human beings reproduced some other way, there would be no genitals, for example.

Eating gives human beings pleasure too, but eating only for pleasure causes a lot problems.
Jori

Post by Jori »

Medicines may produce side effects, but experienceing side effcets is generally not the purpose of taking medicines. Similarly, sex produces pleasure, but that is not the purpose of having sex. As

I read somwhere that sex is not just for reproducton but also for the expression of total and real love. I disagree because you can express total and true love without engaging in sexual intercourse.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Jori wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 am I read somwhere that sex is not just for reproducton but also for the expression of total and real love. I disagree because you can express total and true love without engaging in sexual intercourse.
I agree that one can express total and true love without sex. However, I disagree that sex is just about reproduction -- I think it's about merging and combining energy in a physical way. Looking into "another's" eyes while you're merging bodies can be an eye-opening experience. :) Although pleasure is often a goal, it can also be said that pleasure can be a side-effect of the goal of merging.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:06 pm
What is the evolutionary purpose of wanking?

Ask this character?

Would this character be able to answer the question?
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Jori wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 am I have another crazy idea. The purpose of sex is procreation, not pleasure. If so, then we must only have sex to have a child, and not to have a good time. Furthermore if sex is fo reproduction, then we should only engage in sex if the conditions for raising a child well exist. Well, what's on your mind?
1. All humans [living things] are "programmed" with programs to ensure the survival of the species.
2. One of the strategy of the above is via reproduction of the next generation.
3. And one strategy of reproduction is via sex, i.e. sexual reproduction.
4. In order to induce sex so to meet 2 and 1, the act of sex is linked with the reward of 'pleasure'.

5. One of the fundamental elements to facilitate survival is pleasure vs pain.
6. Being humans, not everyone will comply with 4 to 1, so there will be many who will just exploit the pleasure itself [5] and avoiding the reproducing the next generation [2].

7. But nature is very smart in employment the strategy of large numbers, i.e. it does not expect 100% of humans to fuck for the sake of producing the next generation. It is expected some % will merely focus on the pleasure but the intensity is such that reproduction is likely to happen despite their avoidance. This is why abortion is so prevalent but some % will keep the child due to the 'accident'.

8. In addition nature also induce humans to reproduce the next generations with other impulses, e.g. maternal and paternal instincts, etc.

The above is how the Philosophy of Sex is played out in relation to other philosophies of life.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Walker

Post by Walker »

Sex effortlessly leads to a moment of total, non-intellectual attention. This moment, rather than celibacy, is the actual purpose of brahmacharya.

Brahmacharya practice leads to total, non-intellectual attention upon all moments. Celibacy provides the energy required to fuel attention upon all moments.

Spontaneously arising, effortless brahmacharya, a.k.a. bliss (ananda,) is the goal of brahmacharya practice, for the energy of celibacy combined with intimate knowledge of ever-present still mind around which activity swirls, fuels the attention that awakens the bliss of still mind.

This is also known as connecting with “universal energy,” which is much like the second wind runners experience. Runners know that at first the ego says stop, stop, but with the intent to never stop, a marathoner soon finds the seemingly miraculous fountain of “second-wind,” that enables the body to run much farther than anticipated.

So too with the physical energy of celibacy that leads to the “second wind,” of brahmacharya in which even fatigue, boredom, gluttony, hunger, all aspects of living, including sex, become pleasurably fascinating until one realizes the hour-long eternity referenced by Blake.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:00 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Python was good

-Imp
Good? I say brilliant!
Walker

Post by Walker »

In inexperienced youth the energy of brahmacharya can overwhelm rather than fuel rationality, and ethics.

This is why young men are advised to have a good wank before going out on a date, for that sets conditions for the young man to enjoy the company of a woman with more than just anticipation for a happy ending.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Kim was great. The studios pumped her up to replace the Marilyn fantasy.

Sweat, and no sweat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oivcG31tDY