Philosophy of Food

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jori

Philosophy of Food

Post by Jori »

I have this crazy idea that food is only for nourishment, and not for enjoyment. Therefore, we should order food based on nutrition, not on taste. Also we should exert effort to make food healthy, not delicious in preparing them. Is this really crazy?
Impenitent

Re: Philosophy of Food

Post by Impenitent »

reveling in gruel is not necessarily virtuous

-Imp
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Jori wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:37 am I have this crazy idea that food is only for nourishment, and not for enjoyment. Therefore, we should order food based on nutrition, not on taste. Also we should exert effort to make food healthy, not delicious in preparing them. Is this really crazy?
If you do not enjoy what you eat you are eating something wrong. Our nature makes food that is good for us also give us pleasure. Of course one has to know which food is nourishing and which might be harmful, but if all you eat gives you no pleasure it is definitely not good for you.
Jori

Post by Jori »

I see what you mean. Terrible tasting food is bad for you because it may be poisonous. What about mild tasting healthy food that are not so tasty. I saw someone who prefer to eat her steamed vegetables with nothing. I guess one can also experience pleasure in eating low SFS (salt, fat, sugar) food.
If foos is for nutrition, is it bad to eat high SFS food.