"childish things"

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

"childish things"

Post by Advocate »

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

What were those things for you personally? Which things are inaccurately considered childish? What's the real difference between the negative childish and the positive child-like?
Jori

Re: "childish things"

Post by Jori »

Maybe as a child, he was narcissistic. When he became a man, he put away his narcissism and started thinking of others. Or he lived with the pleasure principle. When he grew up, he put away his pleasure principle and lived according to the reality principle.. Also possible is that as a child, he let his passion rule his life. As a man, he put away his passion and replaced it with reason.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Advocate wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:03 pm "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

What were those things for you personally?
Blind trust. :D
Advocate wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:03 pm Which things are inaccurately considered childish?
Exuberance.
Questioning.
Playing.
Laughing 'til your sides hurt.
Advocate wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:03 pmWhat's the real difference between the negative childish and the positive child-like?
These are good questions. I think negative childish behavior would be like an adult who acts like a demanding or whining cry-baby instead of being responsible for themselves (emotionally and physically). Positive child-like qualities would be those I listed above, as well as having an open-hearted, loving nature and acceptance towards life -- continually seeing newness and wonder -- and wanting to explore and create and see what one can do with it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Childish things discarded: ignorance. sensitivity, disappointment, confusion, god.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Advocate wrote:
Which things are inaccurately considered childish
A natural sense of curiosity may be childish but should never be discarded
Because what Einstein said about asking child like questions is so so true
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:03 pm "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

What were those things for you personally? Which things are inaccurately considered childish? What's the real difference between the negative childish and the positive child-like?
Trying to win for the sake of winning.

My self-centered assertiveness was forcing other people to believe this is a zero-sum game. This is commonly refered to as Toxic Masculinity.

Life's not a zero-sum game. I win even more if you win with me.