right to repair

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: right to repair

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:24 pm Don't subject me to your stupid ego games, and maybe we can have an interesting conversation.

Don't come out of the gate flingin' shit at me if you want conversation.

I asked a simple question and you went out of your way to insult me.

Fuck that.

We can talk...I hoped we could...but not if -- from the start -- I gotta wade thru the melodrama that is lace.

So, we gonna start fresh, or are we just gonna ignore each other?

Your call.
:lol: Okay, what would you like to talk about? I will resist the temptation to poke at you, even though it's fun.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Okay, what would you like to talk about?

Right to repair.

As I say, I wasn't aware this was an issue.

I found this...

https://states.repair.org/states/louisiana/

...when I searched for right to repair louisiana and nuthin' else related to the subject, in-state, popped up.

Plenty of hits regardin' tenant rights, but nuthin' beyond the site above as it relates to the thread's subject.

I'm curious what my brother will say on right to repair. Lookin' forward to his opinion.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:38 pm Okay, what would you like to talk about?

Right to repair.
Okay, well I already gave my examples that relate in part to this topic.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

My brother tells me the farmers he works with are a disgruntled lot when it comes to John Deere and Caterpillar equipment.
90% (estimate) of repairs and maintenance on these machines he sez could be done by the farmers or by independent repair-folk. The companies, however, control the parts supply, discourage clone parts, and monopolize diagnostics. Now, accordin' to my brother, there are scofflaws who can and do fabricate clone parts and run backward-engineered diagnostics, but -- like the computer guy I mention upthread -- these folks are flyin', by necessity, under the radar.

There's legislation pending in, I think, 14 states to restore right to repair...all are stalled, not surprisingly, becuz these big manufacturers throw cash at legislators (someone, tell me again how to reform or refurbish gov in such a way as to preserve the legislator but excise the graft).