in defense of slavery

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

in defense of slavery

Post by Advocate »

Is it not better to give the most destitute of society a way to be formally recognized and protected than the anarchic alternative that is often as bad or worse a way of life? The lives of the poor today are often worse than the life slavery would typically provide. At least they could be tracked and ensured basic necessities by way of legal responsibility.

It is nothing to do with whether slavery should exist in practice to say that it should be formalized in theory. Should we deny anyone a better life just because we find it abhorrent that such a thing is necessary?
Impenitent

Re: in defense of slavery

Post by Impenitent »

your benevolent government masters will rule your life justly

embrace the utopia

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:03 am Is it not better to give the most destitute of society a way to be formally recognized and protected than the anarchic alternative that is often as bad or worse a way of life? The lives of the poor today are often worse than the life slavery would typically provide. At least they could be tracked and ensured basic necessities by way of legal responsibility.

It is nothing to do with whether slavery should exist in practice to say that it should be formalized in theory. Should we deny anyone a better life just because we find it abhorrent that such a thing is necessary?
No sane man will submit to slavery.

You'll have to dress it up, make it attractive, stay well the hell away from anything that remotely sounds like submission, or servitude, or restriction.

You'll have to redefine freedom, move it from the reality of self-direction, -responsibility, and consequence, and embed it in the fantasy of license and do as thy will.

You'll have to discourage and demonize the individual and promote and celebrate the many.

Obviously, equality must be the bar, not accomplishment, not autonomy.

Uniformity of thinking, of action; oversight by authority and expert: reduce the unruliness of the individual, grind off his idiosyncratic bits, domesticate him.

Then he'll accept whatever well-intentioned leash you care to put on him.

Turn man into Eloi and he'll accept your your basic necessities.

There'll be nuthin' left of him to object...and you can eat.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=506041 time=1617581093 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=506033 time=1617577435 user_id=15238]
Is it not better to give the most destitute of society a way to be formally recognized and protected than the anarchic alternative that is often as bad or worse a way of life? The lives of the poor today are often worse than the life slavery would typically provide. At least they could be tracked and ensured basic necessities by way of legal responsibility.

[/quote]

No sane man will submit to slavery.

You'll have to dress it up, make it attractive, stay well the hell away from anything that remotely sounds like submission, or servitude, or restriction.

You'll have to redefine freedom, move it from the reality of self-direction, -responsibility, and consequence, and embed it in the fantasy of license and [i]do as thy will[/i].

You'll have to discourage and demonize the individual and promote and celebrate the many.

Obviously, equality must be the bar, not accomplishment, not autonomy.

Uniformity of thinking, of action; oversight by authority and expert: reduce the unruliness of the individual, grind off his idiosyncratic bits, [i]domesticate him[/i].

Then he'll accept whatever well-intentioned leash you care to put on him.

Turn man into [i]Eloi[/i] and he'll accept your your [i]basic necessities[/i].

There'll be nuthin' left of him to object...and you can [i]eat[/i].
[/quote]

Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Morlock, but Morlock are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization.

As for sane men, many of those did in fact accept their status as slaves well throughout history.
Last edited by Advocate on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

That's the Morlock.

Yes. They eat the Eloi.

Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Eloi, but Eloi are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization.

Pay attention, folks: Advocate just gave you a taste of Morlock-thinkin'.

As for sane men, many of those did in fact accept their status as slaves well throughout history.

Nope. They became resigned to servitude. They were beaten down. None were, or are, happy with their lot.

As soon as any had the chance: they ran like hell.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

'Defence' you illiterate buffoon.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Fixed Eloi/Morlock discrepancy.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Eloi, but Eloi are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization.

Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Morlock, but Morlock are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization

So, instead of slaves bein' neccessary, it's slavers who are necessary.

Man, you don't know if you're comin' or goin'.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=506134 time=1617632313 user_id=472]
[b]Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Eloi, but Eloi are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization.

Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Morlock, but Morlock are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization[/b]

So, instead of [i]slaves[/i] bein' neccessary, it's [i]slavers[/i] who are necessary.

[/quote]

The fact that i haven't read Wells in a while is irrelevant for any purpose other than attacking me as an individual rather than the strength of my ideas.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:55 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Eloi, but Eloi are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization.

Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Morlock, but Morlock are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization

So, instead of slaves bein' neccessary, it's slavers who are necessary.

The fact that i haven't read Wells in a while is irrelevant for any purpose other than attacking me as an individual rather than the strength of my ideas.
That you don't know the book, don't know Morlock are cannibalistic slavers and Eloi are food/slaves, but write...

...is a damned fine reason to poke you.

Your ideas are cockeye'd, and -- as the idea-meister -- so are you.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=506162 time=1617642323 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=506156 time=1617641725 user_id=15238]
[quote="henry quirk" post_id=506134 time=1617632313 user_id=472]
[b]Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Eloi, but Eloi are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization.

Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Morlock, but Morlock are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization[/b]

So, instead of [i]slaves[/i] bein' neccessary, it's [i]slavers[/i] who are necessary.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That you don't know the book, don't know Morlock are cannibalistic slavers and Eloi are food/slaves, but write...

[b]Some people want nothing to do with the qualities of being Morlock, but Morlock are still necessary to create and sustain a civilization[/b]

...is a damned fine reason to poke you.

Your ideas are cockeye'd, and -- as the idea-meister -- so are you.
[/quote]

As per usual, you are ready, willing, and able to discuss anything that is not relevant. How's that working out for you? I could have a deeper conversation with a random high school student.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Well, okay...

You say a decent life as a slave might be preferable to a wretched life as a free man, yeah?

I say, no.

Bein' property, no matter how well-tended to, is not preferable to bein' cold, hungry, and free.

Your move.