the gig me with a spoon economy

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

the gig me with a spoon economy

Post by Advocate »

Having one's livelihood be based on gambling is inhumane. The gig economy often requires people to work harder finding work than doing work they get paid for. This also means some of the hardest working people are effectively getting half minimum wage, when they're lucky. Not because of how hard or how smart they're working, but because of the type of society they happen to have been born into. This is not ok.

Civilized societies don't act this way. People need work they can count on, government they can count on, health care they can count on, a justice system they can count on, a home they can count on, nutritious food they can count on, a society they can count on. Only when it's possible for every individual to take these things for granted may we first legitimately call ourselves civilized.
henry quirk

Re: the gig me with a spoon economy

Post by henry quirk »

Having one's livelihood be based on gambling is inhumane. The gig economy often requires people to work harder finding work than doing work they get paid for. This also means some of the hardest working people are effectively getting half minimum wage, when they're lucky. Not because of how hard or how smart they're working, but because of the type of society they happen to have been born into. This is not ok.

I self-employ as a researcher. This is to say: I enter into short-term contracts with folks to find what they can't find for themselves.

In short: I'm a freelancer. I choose to work this way. Every freelancer chooses to live with risk (mostly cuz we don't like bosses and the typically moronic policy & procedure that comes with a 9 to 5 job).

Yes, we tend to work harder for less, sure (not sure where you're gettin' that less than minimum wage notion from [depends on the industry, I guess]): that's our call, our choice.

Yes, we often have to run hard and fast to secure that contract, that project: we know it's hard and we choose to do it anyway.

I could sign on with a firm and have a steady pay check, benefits, security...I'd also be workin' on projects I'm assigned, have to work accordin' to someone else's standard, toe someone else's line.

It's simple thing: you can't have security and *freedom at the same time. You want steady employment, secure, day-in, day-out, employment, you'll give up what some find invaluable.

I don't fault the 9 to 5ers, more power to 'em: I just don't wanna be one of 'em...no freelancer does.

So, while I appreciate your concern, you ought to *ahem* butt out.

*not the only freedom worth havin', anyway
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=503382 time=1616282580 user_id=472]
[b]Having one's livelihood be based on gambling is inhumane. The gig economy often requires people to work harder finding work than doing work they get paid for. This also means some of the hardest working people are effectively getting half minimum wage, when they're lucky. Not because of how hard or how smart they're working, but because of the type of society they happen to have been born into. This is not ok.[/b]

I self-employ as a researcher. This is to say: I enter into short-term contracts with folks to find what they can't find for themselves.

In short: I'm a freelancer. I choose to work this way. Every freelancer chooses to live with risk (mostly cuz we don't like bosses and the typically moronic [i]policy & procedure[/i] that comes with a 9 to 5 job).

Yes, we tend to work harder for less, sure (not sure where you're gettin' that less than minimum wage notion from [depends on the industry, I guess]): that's our call, our choice.

Yes, we often have to run hard and fast to secure that contract, that project: we know it's hard and we choose to do it anyway.

I could sign on with a firm and have a steady pay check, benefits, [i]security[/i]...I'd also be workin' on projects I'm assigned, have to work accordin' to someone else's standard, toe someone else's line.

It's simple thing: you can't have security and *freedom at the same time. You want steady employment, [i]secure[/i], day-in, day-out, employment, you'll give up what some find invaluable.

I don't fault the 9 to 5ers, more power to 'em: I just don't wanna be one of 'em...no freelancer does.

So, while I appreciate your concern, you ought to *ahem* butt out.

*not the only freedom worth havin', anyway
[/quote]

You may pretend that there's plenty of freelance work to go around, and that it's usually a meaningfully free choice, but it still won't be true.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

People need work they can count on

Sure. Encourage free enterprise instead of regulated enterprise and more folks will work and they'll get decent wages.

government they can count on

What we need is minimal, directed, under heel, proxies (minimal, local constabulary; minimal, local arbitration; border-stationed, armed patrols; and the militia). We require no governors/legislators.

health care they can count on

We need an industry (and that's what it is) where service and product are valued according to supply & demand.

a justice system they can count on

Yes. The over-powered, over-reachin', monster we have now is awful.

a home they can count on

Again, we need an industry (and that's what it is) where service and product are valued according to supply & demand.

nutritious food they can count on

ditto

a society they can count on

The only society worth havin' is one arising from the voluntary associations of free people.

Only when it's possible for every individual to take these things for granted may we first legitimately call ourselves civilized.

No. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Someone has to pay. Better it should me, for me and mine, by the sweat of my own brow, than someone else who might wanna say in my business.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:41 am People need work they can count on

Sure. Encourage free enterprise instead of regulated enterprise and more folks will work and they'll get decent wages.
I can't wait to monopolise your market when regulations on "fair competition" (such an oxymoron!) are abandoned!
henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:41 am government they can count on

What we need is minimal, directed, under heel, proxies (minimal, local constabulary; minimal, local arbitration; border-stationed, armed patrols; and the militia). We require no governors/legislators.
If that model worked Central Africa would've prospered by now.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You didn't read, or mebbe understand, what I wrote.

You may pretend that there's plenty of freelance work to go around

Never said that, hinted at just the opposite, in fact.

and that it's usually a meaningfully free choice

Explain to me how my choice to self-employ isn't meaningful.

Explain to any freelancer how his or her choice to self-employ isn't meaningful.

but it still won't be true.

Are you self-employed?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I can't wait to monopolise your market when regulations on "fair competition" (such an oxymoron!) are abandoned!

There ain't nuthin' wrong with natural monopolies, so: knock yourself out.

If that model worked Central Africa would've prospered by now.

I don't believe Central Africa ever had, or has, a natural rights libertarian minarchy.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:50 am There ain't nuthin' wrong with natural monopolies, so: knock yourself out.
All monopolies are natural without laws.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:50 am I don't believe Central Africa ever had, or has, a natural rights libertarian minarchy.
Natural rights libertarian minarchies was ALL we had before we expanded the scope of and role of governments.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

All monopolies are natural without laws.

There are natural monopolies (held by those who produce, or who are perceived to produce, the best best product or service for the best price). These are supported by a minarchist-type government the purpose of which is solely to safeguard life, liberty, and property.

There are artificial monopolies (held by those who buy legislation that favors them and disfavors competitors).

As I've said across multiple threads: I'm not an advocate of anarchism or ancap: sensible, minimal laws for the preservation of life, liberty, and property are a good thing.

Natural rights libertarian minarchies was ALL we had before we expanded the scope of and role of governments.

The closest this world has ever had to a natural rights libertarian minarchy was the Articles of Confederation America. Prior to that we had nuthin' but monarchies and tyrannies.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

spoon gigs?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPETY6 ... WneLosBZ2A

she can play well actually

-Imp