, smappropriation

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

, smappropriation

Post by Advocate »

If a black person (for example) accepts only the most generally positive, beautiful, feely-good aspects of their own ethnicity/culture/heritage, they're responsible for at least as heinous an appropriation of culture as a white person (for example) with dreads who legitimately values diversity.

Re: , smappropriation

Post by Age »

Considering there is NO actual "black" nor "white" person, the rest is therefore moot.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Advocate wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:15 pm If a black person (for example) accepts only the most generally positive, beautiful, feely-good aspects of their own ethnicity/culture/heritage, they're responsible for at least as heinous an appropriation of culture as a white person (for example) with dreads who legitimately values diversity.
Heinous? The two examples are not even close to similar in intent, manifestation or effect.
Neither strikes me as wrong - the first is a typical human state of mind; the second, a mere affectation.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skip post_id=499744 time=1614480078 user_id=6255]
[quote=Advocate post_id=499219 time=1614273332 user_id=15238]
If a black person (for example) accepts only the most generally positive, beautiful, feely-good aspects of their own ethnicity/culture/heritage, they're responsible for at least as heinous an appropriation of culture as a white person (for example) with dreads who legitimately values diversity.
[/quote]
Heinous? The two examples are not even close to similar in intent, manifestation or effect.
Neither strikes me as wrong - the first is a typical human state of mind; the second, a mere affectation.
[/quote]

"As heinous" is a comparative term which has no implications for the specific amount of heinousity of either.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Where do yanks come up with this bullshit? Is there a 'ministry of bullshit' somewhere?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Advocate wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:15 pm If a black person (for example) accepts only the most generally positive, beautiful, feely-good aspects of their own ethnicity/culture/heritage, they're responsible for at least as heinous an appropriation of culture as a white person (for example) with dreads who legitimately values diversity.
I don't buy into any of that crap. People present it for two reasons. One is ostensible to mask the getting of something. The other reason is hyperbole, to highlight the absurdity of what passes for ostensible these days. I'm figuring this presentation is the latter.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Walker wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:20 am I don't buy into any of that crap.
Walker wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:43 am Like your opinion matters.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Advocate wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:55 am "As heinous" is a comparative term which has no implications for the specific amount of heinousity of either.
hei·nous
/ˈhānəs/
adjective
(of a person or wrongful act, especially a crime) utterly odious or wicked.
Walker

Post by Walker »

mickthinks wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:45 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:20 am I don't buy into any of that crap.
Walker wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:43 am Like your opinion matters.
That's right. In response to insult, to say your opinion does not matter is a more gentile response than saying, F**k You A**hole, which although an appropriate response to insult, gets rather watered down with tedious, accepted overuse.

You know, it's not healthy for a grown man to carry around a resentment over an appropriate response to insult.

However, back to the topic which extends beyond personal hurt feelings ...

The premise behind identity politics negates the individual, and individualism is fundamental to the USA. Negating the individual is a fundamental, destructive transformation of what defines the mental state of freedom. Identity politics has no place in the greatest country on the face of the earth because the foundation of the USA so values individualism that it almost destroyed itself getting rid of identity-based slavery. So, I don’t bother with the reasoning that gives identity-politics life in any form, and if you knew what’s good for you, you wouldn’t either.