is/ought, final answer

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: is/ought, final answer

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm You can't gain them from outside of yourself. They have to be something you feel or we're not talking about ethics/morality (or any value judgments in general). The environment can influence your value judgments, but it doesn't give them to you.
Great. So you and Flash Dangerdork need to gave a conversation.

Because he opposes moral realism/moral naturalism or any notion of "morality".
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:40 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:40 pm The same old stupid mistake of thinking that if one is saying that value judgments, moral stances, oughts, etc. etc. aren't factual, aren't true/false, then one must be saying that people don't actually hold or act on any value judgments, moral stances, oughts, etc.
You don't even know what a "mistake" means.

If your conception of "factuality" and "truth" excludes what people actually do then your conception of "factuality" and "truth" is incomplete.

So just because you've decided to invent a taxonomy in which humans are not part of "the state of affairs", whose problem is that exactly?
That's a rhetorical question. It's your fucking problem that your've invented some taxonomy which inherently embraces special pleading.
I thought you didn't make claims?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:48 pm I thought you didn't make claims?
I don't and I haven't.

Seems you can't stop imposing your frame on other people's words ,eh?
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:41 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm You can't gain them from outside of yourself. They have to be something you feel or we're not talking about ethics/morality (or any value judgments in general). The environment can influence your value judgments, but it doesn't give them to you.
Great. So you and Flash Dangerdork need to gave a conversation.

Because he opposes moral realism/moral naturalism or any notion of "morality".
We need to have a conversation so we can keep typing "yeah, I agree" at each other or something?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:50 pm We need to have a conversation so we can keep typing "yeah, I agree" at each other or something?
Sure. Whatever floats your boat.

You could agree that you don't know what you are talking about.
Or disagree that you do.

Personally, I think you should settle it by combat. Person who dies first loses.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:48 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:48 pm I thought you didn't make claims?
I don't and I haven't.
Yeah, that's just like Age doesn't have beliefs.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:54 pm Yeah, that's just like Age doesn't have beliefs.
I have said it a dozen times. I believe that I don't have any beliefs.

Go ahead and assign that a truth-value. I am sure your biases will do a fine job.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:54 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:54 pm Yeah, that's just like Age doesn't have beliefs.
I have said it a dozen times. I believe that I don't have any beliefs.

Go ahead and assign that a truth-value. I am sure your biases will do a fine job.
You could be one of Age's split personalities.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:56 pm You could be one of Age's split personalities.
Anything's possible.
Terrapin Station

Seriously, by the way, I've often wished that Skepdick, Age, etc.--everyone with a personality in that vein--I've often wished that it was one really manic asshole posting as a bunch of different people on a bunch of different boards, in a bunch of different chat rooms, etc., over the past 25 years because it's too depressing to think that there are a bunch of people around with the same more or less carbon copy unduly arrogant jerkwad personality.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:02 pm Seriously, by the way, I've often wished that Skepdick, Age, etc.--everyone with a personality in that vein--I've often wished that it was one really manic asshole posting as a bunch of different people on a bunch of different boards, in a bunch of different chat rooms, etc., over the past 25 years because it's too depressing to think that there are a bunch of people around with the same more or less carbon copy unduly arrogant jerkwad personality.
I share this exact sentiment about philosophers.

Carbon copies. The lot of you. Predictable in every aspect.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:12 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:02 pm Seriously, by the way, I've often wished that Skepdick, Age, etc.--everyone with a personality in that vein--I've often wished that it was one really manic asshole posting as a bunch of different people on a bunch of different boards, in a bunch of different chat rooms, etc., over the past 25 years because it's too depressing to think that there are a bunch of people around with the same more or less carbon copy unduly arrogant jerkwad personality.
I share this exact sentiment about philosophers.

Carbon copies. The lot of you. Predictable in every aspect.
That explains why you appeal to them so often in your comments, sure.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:15 pm That explains why you appeal to them so often in your comments, sure.
You don't have another explanation? Say... I don't have to write out what's already written?

I used to appeal to Mathematical theories/theorems but those went over your head. Target your audience at their level of understanding.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:18 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:15 pm That explains why you appeal to them so often in your comments, sure.
You don't have another explanation? Say... I don't have to write out what's already written?

I used to appeal to Mathematical theories/theorems but those went over your head. Target your audience at their level of understanding.
Yeah, definitely that would explain appealing to stuff you don't agree with.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 pm Yeah, definitely that would explain appealing to stuff you don't agree with.
Thought we covered this too? As long as it pisses you off/contradicts/undermines your interpretation - it's always worth appealing to.