Equity, morality

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: Equity, morality

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 am
I understand what you are trying to say. I am talking that the act of a serial killer is moral for him/her so s/he should not be kept guilty for his/her action. Considering them guilty is my problem since their action is right from their point of view. The majority follow another morality and has the power and can keep them in a safe place.
So do you maybe agree with "the consequences of any behavior should always be in accord with the actor's moral views, and no one else's"?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:38 am
I understand what you are trying to say. I am talking that the act of a serial killer is moral for him/her so s/he should not be kept guilty for his/her action. Considering them guilty is my problem since their action is right from their point of view. The majority follow another morality and has the power and can keep them in a safe place.
So do you maybe agree with "the consequences of any behavior should always be in accord with the actor's moral views, and no one else's"?
Yes, ultimately.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:58 am
Yes, ultimately.
I don't agree with that. Would you say that it's a foundational disposition for you more or less, or is there some reason you feel that the consequences of any behavior should always be in accord with the actor's moral views, and no one else's?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:00 am
Yes, ultimately.
I don't agree with that. Would you say that it's a foundational disposition for you more or less, or is there some reason you feel that the consequences of any behavior should always be in accord with the actor's moral views, and no one else's?
What I feel is irrelevant. I have to put myself in the shoes of the murderer to see how s/he feels when I want to make a proper judgment about him/her.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:09 am
Yes, ultimately.
What I feel is irrelevant. I have to put myself in the shoes of the murderer to see how s/he feels when I want to make a proper judgment about him/her.
"the consequences of any behavior should always be in accord with the actor's moral views, and no one else's" is nothing other than a way that one can feel about what the approach should be. So you can't say that what you feel is irrelevant. If you agree with it, that is how you feel about it.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:07 am
"the consequences of any behavior should always be in accord with the actor's moral views, and no one else's" is nothing other than a way that one can feel about what the approach should be. So you can't say that what you feel is irrelevant. If you agree with it, that is how you feel about it.
If what you said was correct then I should consider the murder guilty which should not as I discussed it. I feel bad when a person is killed though.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:43 am
If what you said was correct then I should consider the murder guilty which should not as I discussed it. I feel bad when a person is killed though.
This comment makes no sense to me.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 am
Is a murderer guilty for killing a person?
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:46 am
Are they guilty in the sense of "did they kill a person" do you mean? Yes, of course.

Or are you asking if they're guilty in the sense of violating a law that they'll be punished for? Aside from the fact that "murder" conventionally denotes "illegal killing," it just depends on the laws a society has.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:22 am

Are they guilty in the sense of "did they kill a person" do you mean? Yes, of course.

Or are you asking if they're guilty in the sense of violating a law that they'll be punished for? Aside from the fact that "murder" conventionally denotes "illegal killing," it just depends on the laws a society has.
I mean they haven't done an immoral act but an offense one.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:40 pm

What it amounts to to do an immoral act to S ("moral"/"immoral" is always to someone) is that S doesn't approve of the interpersonal behavior in question. Whether any act is moral or immoral depends on who we ask.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:39 am

What it amounts to to do an immoral act to S ("moral"/"immoral" is always to someone) is that S doesn't approve of the interpersonal behavior in question. Whether any act is moral or immoral depends on who we ask.
I agree.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:41 am
I agree.
So killing a person is going to be an immoral act in the opinion of many people.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 am

I agree.
So killing a person is going to be an immoral act in the opinion of many people.
Of course. But people have no right to call the murderer guilty. In fact, any individual would do what a murderer does if s/he is in the same circumstances.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:54 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 am
I agree.
Of course. But people have no right to call the murderer guilty. In fact, any individual would do what a murderer does if s/he is in the same circumstances.
We create rights. So we do have a right to call a murderer guilty, because we created the right to do so.