W L Craig: Ought Possible From IS

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

W L Craig: Ought Possible From IS

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

This video presented and discussed William Lane Craig's argument on how it is possible to derive 'ought' from 'is' in the divine context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm91sRPm98Y

Craig's argument;
  • "It seems to me that this theory does derive an 'ought' from an 'is,'
    and justifiably so.. though not in the way you imagine.
    The theory does, as you say, ground moral values in God's unchanging nature.
    God is the paradigm of goodness."

"But that is not to say that 'because God is a certain way we ought to behave in certain ways.
    No, our moral obligations and prohibitions arise as a result of God's command to us.
    God's nature serves to establish values - goodness and badness - while God's command establish moral duties -- what we ought or ought not to do"

"Some might demand, ;Why are we obligated to do something just because it is commanded by God?
    The answer to that question comes, I think, by reflecting on the nature of moral duty.
    Duty arises in response to an imperative from a competent authority"
In principle, I agree with Craig's argument in a way, since his argument is the same with Searle's - but not with the contents therein.

How to Derive "Ought" From "Is" J. Searle
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29824

i.e. the derivation is based on the concept of a Framework and System of Knowledge and its related constitutional facts and the implied ought
within in this case, the theological framework.

While Searle's argument is justified from empirical facts,
the limitation with the theological framework is its foundation and competent authority is grounded on something that is non-existent, i.e. the illusory God which is impossible to exists as real within reality.
God is an Impossible to Exists as Real
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24704

Views?
Veritas Aequitas

Re: W L Craig: Ought Possible From IS

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:52 pm ...........
Immanuel Can,
Any comments on the OP.