Moral Intuitionism

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Moral Intuitionism

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

I have stated what Henry Quirk expressed about morality [not fully] is intuitive, i.e. from some inherent moral sense within the human self.

Here is some formal study on Moral Intuitionalism:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_intuitionism#
As the aesthetic sense informs us about what is beautiful, we can analogically understand the moral sense as informing us of what is good. People with a functioning moral sense get a clear impression of wrongness when they see puppies being kicked, for example.
Ethical intuitionism (also called Moral Intuitionism) is a view or family of views in moral epistemology (and, on some definitions, metaphysics).
It is at its core foundationalism about moral knowledge; that is, it is committed to the thesis that some moral truths can be known non-inferentially (i.e., known without one needing to infer them from other truths one believes). Such an epistemological view is by definition committed to the existence of knowledge of moral truths; therefore, ethical intuitionism implies cognitivism.

As a foundationalist epistemological position, ethical intuitionism is to be contrasted with coherentist positions in moral epistemology, such as those that depend on reflective equilibrium.[1]

Despite the name "ethical intuitionism", ethical intuitionists need not (though often do) accept that intuitions of value (or of evaluative facts) form the foundation of ethical knowledge; the common commitment of ethical intuitionists is to a non-inferential foundation for ethical knowledge, regardless of whether such a non-inferential foundation consists in intutions as such.[2]

Throughout the philosophical literature, the term "ethical intuitionism" is frequently used with significant variation in its sense. This article's focus on foundationalism reflects the core commitments of contemporary self-identified ethical intuitionists.[1][3]

Sufficiently broadly defined, ethical intuitionism can be taken to encompass cognitivist forms of moral sense theory.[4] It is usually furthermore taken as essential to ethical intuitionism that there be self-evident or a priori moral knowledge; this counts against considering moral sense theory to be a species of intuitionism.
Views?
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Moral Intuitionism

• P1 All FSK produce facts.
    P2 A moral FSK process intuitions
    C1 Intuitions thereafter justified within a Moral FSK are moral facts
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Intuition is the excuse people fall back on when they have neither evidence nor sound argument.

Moral inuition is as useless as religious or spiritual intuition, because both can be used to justify any and all conclusions, Waste of time.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Peter Holmes wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 am Intuition is the excuse people fall back on when they have neither evidence nor sound argument.

Moral inuition is as useless as religious or spiritual intuition, because both can be used to justify any and all conclusions, Waste of time.
It sounds like you are saying that some conclusions OUGHT to be unjustifiable.

Why do you believe that without a sound/valid argument to support it?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

always trust your gut
your brain can be fooled and your heart is an idiot
but your gut doesn't know how to lie
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:42 pm always trust your gut
Right!

Bill: "Hey, Harry, I haven't see Rosalie around recently. You told me you were in love with her."

Harry: "I was, that first night. We went to Hernando's for dinner, then went dancing and she let me kiss her goodnight when I brought her home. I never felt like that before. My gut told me I was in love."

Bill: "So what happened?"

Harry: "Turned out what I thought was love was the beef and bean burrito."

Always trust your gut!
Veritas Aequitas

Peter Holmes wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 am Intuition is the excuse people fall back on when they have neither evidence nor sound argument.

The concept of 'intuition' and its limitations is well understood by the average person.

Except for the theists, I believe any average person [intuitionist] who rely on intuition in the case of significant moral issues, e.g. slavery, murder, and the likes, will not insist they are 100% certain of their intuition, but would rather assign a high probably their intuition is true and self-evident.
As such I have not come across any intuitionist who claim intuitionism is the only way to morality.

Nevertheless the average intuitionist will often compare what is intuited with empirical evidences.
For example those who have the intuition, slavery is wrong, surely would have read to the many sufferings from slaves and the worldwide condemnation of slaves.
Their intuition about slavery is also reinforced by the UN Convention on Slavery and that all sovereign nations at present has banned chattel slavery on a legal basis.
Veritas Aequitas

Not always in every situation,
but only in situation where there is insufficient evidence to reach a solid conclusion and where one must make a decision with limited time.

In such of the above case, then, yes,
'always trust your gut'
which had been "programmed" to make the right decision most of the time in any emergency situation in terms of the species.
Veritas Aequitas

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:13 am
Right!

Bill: "Hey, Harry, I haven't see Rosalie around recently. You told me you were in love with her."

Harry: "I was, that first night. We went to Hernando's for dinner, then went dancing and she let me kiss her goodnight when I brought her home. I never felt like that before. My gut told me I was in love."

Always trust your gut!
Instead of being sarcastic, it is more likely you [with archaic knowledge] are ignorant of what 'gut' refer to and its relevance.

The gut [visceral] is often referred as the earlier brain [from evolution] and has as many neurons as the normal brain within the skull.
There is a critical connection between the visceral brain and the cranial brain, and both work together in making decisions, especially critical ones.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 am
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:13 am
Right!

Always trust your gut!
Instead of being sarcastic, it is more likely you [with archaic knowledge] are ignorant of what 'gut' refer to and its relevance.

The gut [visceral] is often referred as the earlier brain [from evolution] and has as many neurons as the normal brain within the skull.
There is a critical connection between the visceral brain and the cranial brain, and both work together in making decisions, especially critical ones.
Ah, yes. Let us not forget the visceral brain, that widely-acknowledged source of a system and framework of knowledge - of Visceral Facts, justified by Empirical Evidences and Philosophical Reasoning.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 am ... it is more likely you ... are ignorant of what 'gut' refer to and its relevance.

Apparently this is true of some humans, this connection between the brain and viscera, but the viscera in question is a bit lower than the gut. It's what one means when they say someone is talking out of their a.. (viscera).
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:41 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 am ... it is more likely you ... are ignorant of what 'gut' refer to and its relevance.

Apparently this is true of some humans, this connection between the brain and viscera, but the viscera in question is a bit lower than the gut. It's what one means when they say someone is talking out of their a.. (viscera).
Who knew this place could be so entertaining? Mind you, I don't get out much.
Veritas Aequitas

You are changing the subject to something else you are playing around with and thus occupying your mind.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 am

You are changing the subject to something else you are playing around with and thus occupying your mind.
What can I say. You inspired me!