Morality

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: Morality

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:51 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:53 am The bottom line is, where are one's justified and sound arguments.
Well I have never seen an argument here that was sound enough to make the other guy admit he was wrong.
It is not so much about 'wronging' the other guy's argument, but taking the trouble to present one's own sound arguments.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:28 pm
Self contradiction!.

"Quote"?? Says who?
Say's no one.

No one...is self contratictory. Except the no one is one, in that there is no such thing as one because there is no other than one.

Hope you get the gist.
It's either a quote or it aint
It can be whatever no thing aka mind puts there. Makes no difference, the concept is known by no mind.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

So back to the concept of Morality...

...knowing what we know about morality..it is our moral duty to stop procreating. And also is it immoral to carry on procreating, knowing what we know about morality....is imposing immorality onto the unborn by dragging their innocent ass-holes into a world of immorality when we know we don't have to do that based on our capacity to make a moral judgement...those questions go to Harbal.
? ?

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:55 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 pm This discussion group on the whole does not discuss philosophy as an academic discipline. but it has certain standards. There is no point in coming to a discussion that purports to be philosophy unless you risk your favourite biases.
I like to think I have a realistic idea of what can be achieved here, Belinda. :)
Looking at material I disagree with whether because it's nonsense or for whatever is useful for my education as people's opinions make me think and sometimes revise what I previously thought.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am
It can be whatever no thing aka mind puts there. Makes no difference, the concept is known by no mind.
I've not spent much time here for quite a while. I just look in from time to time. When I do look in, you are alway still here, still saying exactly the same thing, which basically amounts to nothing, so at least you are sticking to your own principles, I suppose.

Just reading your comments very occasionally is tiresome, but that is not your concern and I am not criticising you. But if I find them tiresome when I only see them now and then, I just wondered how you managed to keep constantly doing it without the tedium driving you nuts. Do you find your endeavours rewarding in any way?

On the other hand, it can be reassuring to know that some things never change. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:02 am So back to the concept of Morality...

...knowing what we know about morality..it is our moral duty to stop procreating. And also is it immoral to carry on procreating, knowing what we know about morality....is imposing immorality onto the unborn by dragging their innocent ass-holes into a world of immorality when we know we don't have to do that based on our capacity to make a moral judgement...those questions go to Harbal.
? ?
I don't see why you think that we human beings deserve to be spared from being subjected to immorality. The drive to "procreate" is at the very core of our nature. Perhaps going against our nature would be failing to perform our moral duty.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:02 am So back to the concept of Morality...

? ?
I don't see why you think that we human beings deserve to be spared from being subjected to immorality. The drive to "procreate" is at the very core of our nature. Perhaps going against our nature would be failing to perform our moral duty.
Not really, there is no one to perform a moral duty to anything here, except the illusory idea that there is, born of knowledge. There is no one here that has overall authority over natures ways. Nature doesn't have any concept of morality. What I mean is, Lions don't have a sense of morality when they are ripping their jaws through the flesh of another animal, causing that animal untold unimaginable fear and suffering. Another example is the Chinese people see no problem with keeping live animals locked in confined rusty cages, including domesticated cats and dogs, chickens, birds and monkies etc...So where is their morality when it comes to the fate of these innocent creatures that are subjected to the most horrendous torture and suffering, by literally being cooked alive.

What makes you think the morals of a human is any different than the morals of an animal, except to say humans have attained the capacity for knowledge of the meaning of the word MORAL...in that they wouldn't necessarily cause harm to another person for that would be immoral to do so in the context of what moral means to them. But then they don't think twice about morality when it comes to slaughtering animals inhumanely.

So going back to morality, couldn't we just see that it would be a moral thing to stop procreating, because of all that we know via our knowledge. Do you not see this as a good and moral thing to do, knowing how risky it is to bring a new innocent life into a world where the difference between immorality and morality is bascially a very blurry line ?

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:16 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am
I've not spent much time here for quite a while. I just look in from time to time. When I do look in, you are alway still here, still saying exactly the same thing, which basically amounts to nothing, so at least you are sticking to your own principles, I suppose.

Just reading your comments very occasionally is tiresome, but that is not your concern and I am not criticising you. But if I find them tiresome when I only see them now and then, I just wondered how you managed to keep constantly doing it without the tedium driving you nuts. Do you find your endeavours rewarding in any way?

On the other hand, it can be reassuring to know that some things never change. :)

Well I guess you are right about one thing, and I'm pretty certain it is very reassuring that you are able to predict your own predictions, that some things never do change. Like your capacity to be an extremely RUDE and arrogant fucktard, who starts a thread and then gets all uppity and condescending when the invite to particpate on it by other posters actually happens.

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm Like your capacity to be an extremely RUDE and arrogant fucktard, who starts a thread and then gets all uppity and condescending when the invite to particpate on it by other posters actually happens.
Yes you are quite right, Dontask, I am the thing you accuse me of. Please forgive me, in a moment of absent mindedness, I forgot not to be my usual self.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 pm

? ?
Not really, there is no one to perform a moral duty to anything here, except the illusory idea that there is, born of knowledge. There is no one here that has overall authority over natures ways. Nature doesn't have any concept of morality. What I mean is, Lions don't have a sense of morality when they are ripping their jaws through the flesh of another animal, causing that animal untold unimaginable fear and suffering. Another example is the Chinese people see no problem with keeping live animals locked in confined rusty cages, including domesticated cats and dogs, chickens, birds and monkies etc...So where is their morality when it comes to the fate of these innocent creatures that are subjected to the most horrendous torture and suffering, by literally being cooked alive.

What makes you think the morals of a human is any different than the morals of an animal, except to say humans have attained the capacity for knowledge of the meaning of the word MORAL...in that they wouldn't necessarily cause harm to another person for that would be immoral to do so in the context of what moral means to them. But then they don't think twice about morality when it comes to slaughtering animals inhumanely.

So going back to morality, couldn't we just see that it would be a moral thing to stop procreating, because of all that we know via our knowledge. Do you not see this as a good and moral thing to do, knowing how risky it is to bring a new innocent life into a world where the difference between immorality and morality is bascially a very blurry line ?

Perhaps you are right, but I'm not sure our sense of moral duty is strong enough for us to put it above our own existence.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm Like your capacity to be an extremely RUDE and arrogant fucktard, who starts a thread and then gets all uppity and condescending when the invite to particpate on it by other posters actually happens.
Yes you are quite right, Dontask, I am the thing you accuse me of. Please forgive me, in a moment of absent mindedness, I forgot not to be my usual self.
Forget about the egos...just answer the god dam questions, and concentrate on the message.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:32 pm
Perhaps you are right, but I'm not sure our sense of moral duty is strong enough for us to put it above our own existence.
Then you need to examine more closely as to who's existence you are talking about here?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Belinda wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:09 am Looking at material I disagree with whether because it's nonsense or for whatever is useful for my education as people's opinions make me think and sometimes revise what I previously thought.
I (too) can find value in seeing and interacting with other paths of thought, including what I may disagree with. (Of course I have my limits for what I'll wade through, but I'm pretty flexible. :D ) I see it as "information" and potential... which can be useful for expanding conscious/thinking scope and perspective, as well as questioning/examining the things I think (or have thought) too.

At times in my life when I felt like I was stuck or hanging/waiting in limbo... I preferred to get "more information" I could work with, even if it wasn't to my liking. I prefer to keep moving, and information (even if unpleasant) enables me to move "through" and "beyond" static spaces... and that is empowering/inspiring even without a specific destination.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:32 pm
Then you need to examine more closely as to who's existence you are talking about here?
I don't think I do need to. It's not really an issue for me; I don't mind whether people procreate or not. I would rather leave the matter to those who care.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

? ?
I agree with you on this.

We need to define and differentiate Morality from Ethics. Morality is the PURE while Ethics is the APPLIED aspects as in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Geometry, Science, etc.

It is so evident, natural and intrinsic to human nature, it is our moral duty to procreate to produce the next generation.
This moral duty which is justified, thus objective is merely to be adopted as GUIDE and should never be enforced.

However, whilst it is our moral duty to procreate, it is not necessary our ethical duty to procreate produce the next generation if there are sound justifications for it.
An infertile person cannot be blamed for not being able to procreate to produce the next generation.

It is also immoral not to exercise our intrinsic intelligence and wisdom to ensure whatever our acts, they contribute to the optimal well being of humanity. E.g. moral duty to procreate does not mean an unrestricted passport to produce like rabbits ending with the evil of rising from over-population.