Independence—Better Than Morality

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RCSaunders

Re: Independence—Better Than Morality

Post by RCSaunders »

IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm By, "dependence," I mean relationships like those between a parasite and its host, a criminal and his victims, or any employee of a government and tax payers.
That's not a sound way of defining "dependence", as well as a silly metaphor and abstraction which has been done to death a million times over.
I was telling you what I mean, not telling you what to think or believe, and you don't have to like it. The only person who was certain everything he said was original was Adam. (It's a joke, in case you mistake me for a theist.)
IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 pm Given that "government" ...
Why did you bring up government. All government is wrong.
IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 pm
Those who are producers and trade with each other, value for value, do so by agreement. Like those agreements between workers selling their service to employers and manufacturers selling their products to their customers.
Right, and if the people disappeared, the "legitimate" employer would be out of work, though he could find new clients.
If the people disappeared where would the employer find new clients. For that matter, where would the employer come from?
IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 pm According to your moral judgment? ...
I do not make moral judgements.
IvoryBlackBishop

Post by IvoryBlackBishop »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:42 am Why did you bring up government. All government is wrong.
You've yet to substantiate that moral judgment without resorting to some archaic cliché which has likely been around since ancient Rome up unto the present day, and been just as inept and impotent then as it is now.

Um... yes, you just did.

"All government is wrong". Just for starters.

As well as making a "moral judgment" about other people making a moral judgment, or making moral judgments even about people who earned their income if they didn't do so through "legitimate means" (e.x. "celebrates" or entertainers who lack real talent or work ethic).
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:54 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:42 am Why did you bring up government. All government is wrong.
You've yet to substantiate that moral judgment without resorting to some archaic cliché which has likely been around since ancient Rome up unto the present day, and been just as inept and impotent then as it is now.

Um... yes, you just did.

"All government is wrong". Just for starters.
Identifying something is wrong is not a moral judgement. "Three plus four is nine" is wrong. "Ice is heavier than water," is wrong. "Feeding sawdust to children is good for them," is wrong. "Using an agency of coercive force (government) can make a good society," is wrong. They are not moral judgements.