"NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS", HERE'S THE SIMPLE TRUTH ABOUT ABORTION

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Univalence

Re: "NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS", HERE'S THE SIMPLE TRUTH ABOUT ABORTION

Post by Univalence »

Peter Holmes wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 pm No, you're mistaken there. Ostensive explanation of a term such as blue (this is blue) is completely different from pointing at the sky to justify a factual assertion. The context explains the function of the gesture.
How is it different?

You can't define 'blue' - so you are pointing to an example. Sky.
You can't define 'wrong' - so you are pointing to an example. Murder.
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 pm How does pointing at a murder justify the moral claim that murder is wrong?
That's precisely the same epistemic question I have been asking you (and you have been dodging)!

How does pointing at the sky justify your factual claim that sky is blue?
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 pm There seems to be a block somewhere in your thinking
Somewhere? Point it out then.

How come I can point out the inconsistencies in your own thinking, but you can't point out the inconsistencies in mine?
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 pm and since everything I've said, countless times, has failed to shift the block, there's nothing more I can do. Perhaps you can find someone else to talk about it with.
Perhaps it's time to explore the alternative hypothesis then?

You are wrong. And I am the person to help you see/correct your error.

I mean. It was entertaining (in the most ironic and self-defeating way possible) when you (moral relativist) accused me (a moral objectivist) of being "morally bankrupt". Do you even understand the implications of your own position?
Last edited by Univalence on Fri May 31, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Peter Holmes wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm Precisely my point. I don't see where you're disagreeing.
I'm taking a slight issue with this claim:
Peter Holmes wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm So we have a moral argument, not a dispute about facts. If there were facts, there could be no argument...the answers - yea or nay - express moral opinions, not factual claims.
There are two things: firstly, it's not true that "if there were facts, there could be no argument." The abortion issue has facts, and there's still an argument. But secondly, it's not true that moral arguments merely "express opinions." Moral claims can be factual as well. When one says, "Abortion is wrong," one is making a statement of fact. Similarly, if one says, "Abortion is an allowable option," one is saying that it is objectively true that abortion is morally permissible.

And were it not so, then there could be no argument. For opinions are not arguable without factual moral claims. This is why "I like chocolate, but you like vanilla" is not arguable; it only expresses a gustatory opinion, and puts absolutely no obligation on the other. What one "likes" is up to one. But good and evil are not like that. When one speaks of them, one is not saying, "I like abortion, but you don't -- so let's get ice cream." Instead, you're implying something like, "I like abortion, and you should too, because that's the right way for anybody to think," or stronger, "Abortion is evil, no matter what you think."

And that is why there is an argument: both sides know very well what the other is saying, and it's about the factual moral status of abortion, regardless of opinions.

Now, I know, Peter, that you don't think that moral facts (or objective morals) actually exist. But this is not the assumption of the people who are in the debate.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:45 pm
Peter Holmes wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm Precisely my point. I don't see where you're disagreeing.
Peter Holmes wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm So we have a moral argument, not a dispute about facts. If there were facts, there could be no argument...the answers - yea or nay - express moral opinions, not factual claims.
There are two things: firstly, it's not true that "if there were facts, there could be no argument." The abortion issue has facts, and there's still an argument. But secondly, it's not true that moral arguments merely "express opinions." Moral claims can be factual as well. When one says, "Abortion is wrong," one is making a statement of fact. Similarly, if one says, "Abortion is an allowable option," one is saying that it is objectively true that abortion is morally permissible.

And were it not so, then there could be no argument. For opinions are not arguable without factual moral claims. This is why "I like chocolate, but you like vanilla" is not arguable; it only expresses a gustatory opinion, and puts absolutely no obligation on the other. What one "likes" is up to one. But good and evil are not like that. When one speaks of them, one is not saying, "I like abortion, but you don't -- so let's get ice cream." Instead, you're implying something like, "I like abortion, and you should too, because that's the right way for anybody to think," or stronger, "Abortion is evil, no matter what you think."

And that is why there is an argument: both sides know very well what the other is saying, and it's about the factual moral status of abortion, regardless of opinions.

Now, I know, Peter, that you don't think that moral facts (or objective morals) actually exist. But this is not the assumption of the people who are in the debate.
You don't have an argument and you've never had an argument. Your 'argument' is 'it's evil and immoral'. Do you have a god complex? No one cares what you 'think' is 'evil'. You are a bloody joke.

Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:45 pm

vegetariantaxidermy is correct, and obviously already at the hair-tearing-out stage of arguing with you.

The question is whether abortion is moral. You say 'Moral claims can be factual as well. When one says, "Abortion is wrong," one is making a statement of fact.'

This is false, and merely claiming it is true does nothing to demonstrate its truth. I have no intention of engaging with you again - the memories are too painful. You simply have a strongly-held moral opinion about abortion, which is nothing more than that: an opinion.

And in my opinion, forcing a woman to continue her pregnancy to term is an outrageous and wickedly immoral denial of her autonomy and right to control what happens to her own body. That you advocate it is, in my opinion, morally disgusting, and I think you should be ashamed of yourself. But that's just my moral opinion, which is neither verifiable nor falsifiable, because it doesn't make a factual claim.
Walker

Post by Walker »

An opinion is conditioned knowledge.

Life or death is a primal fact independent of conditioned knowledge.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Peter Holmes wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:32 pm The question is whether abortion is moral. You say 'Moral claims can be factual as well. When one says, "Abortion is wrong," one is making a statement of fact.'

This is false,
You may (and I know you do) insist that it is false to say that moral claims are factual. I'm not disputing your saying it. Rather, I'm pointing out to you that when people have moral debates THEY are not sharing your assumption -- they are, in fact, denying it.
You simply have a strongly-held moral opinion about abortion, which is nothing more than that: an opinion.
Is that your mere opinion? Or is it a statement that you feel to be a fact?

Because if it's just a way of saying, "Peter personally doesn't like IC's opinion," then how much of a concern can that be to the general debate? It's only one man's opinion, his expression of how he's feeling about something at the moment, but without objective reality. Peter has said, "I like abortion," and that's all. Worse still for him, he may even change his mind in the next five minutes, and there would be no reason but personal taste that he wouldn't do that.

But if you're saying, "IC is wrong to have a strongly-held moral opinion," then you are making a moral claim yourself, and treating it as an objective fact with which rational others ought to agree. If you meant the first, it's trivial (sorry, but you've said it yourself: it's just an opinion, you said). If it's the second, then you are thinking others ought (a contraction of "owe it" ) to agree with you. And you were making a factual moral claim yourself.

Which way is it, Pete? What did you really mean?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:32 pm The question is whether abortion is moral. You say 'Moral claims can be factual as well. When one says, "Abortion is wrong," one is making a statement of fact.'

This is false,
You may (and I know you do) insist that it is false to say that moral claims are factual. I'm not disputing your saying it. Rather, I'm pointing out to you that when people have moral debates THEY are not sharing your assumption -- they are, in fact, denying it.
You simply have a strongly-held moral opinion about abortion, which is nothing more than that: an opinion.

Because if it's just a way of saying, "Peter personally doesn't like IC's opinion," then how much of a concern can that be to the general debate? It's only one man's opinion, his expression of how he's feeling about something at the moment, but without objective reality. Peter has said, "I like abortion," and that's all. Worse still for him, he may even change his mind in the next five minutes, and there would be no reason but personal taste that he wouldn't do that.

But if you're saying, "IC is wrong to have a strongly-held moral opinion," then you are making a moral claim yourself, and treating it as an objective fact with which rational others ought to agree. If you meant the first, it's trivial (sorry, but you've said it yourself: it's just an opinion, you said). If it's the second, then you are thinking others ought (a contraction of "owe it" ) to agree with you. And you were making a factual moral claim yourself.

Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm

This is false,

1 I think everyone is entitled to hold strong moral opinions, and many of us do on many issues, including abortion. And we express those opinions by means of moral assertions, such as 'abortion is wrong' and 'a woman should have control over what happens to her own body'.

2 If an assertion is a fact, that's because it describes a feature of reality correctly, given the way we use the words involved, because that's what a fact does. Its truth is independent of opinion. And one simple definition of 'objectivity' is 'independence of opinion'.

3 For an assertion to be a fact, in the first place, there must be a feature of reality for it to describe. If that feature of reality can't be shown to exist, there's no reason to believe that the assertion about it is a fact.

4 We can and do deploy facts to try to justify our moral opinions. For example: 'a fetus consists of human DNA and will (normally) become a person outside the womb'. That is a fact, so it's unarguable - its truth is independent of opinion.

5 We can use the fact about DNA to try to justify the opinion 'therefore, abortion is wrong'. But there is no logical connection between the fact and the opinion - the one doesn't follow necessarily from the other, how ever strongly we believe that it does. The opinion remains an opinion, and it rests on another opinion, such as: 'killing a being consisting of human DNA is wrong'.

6 We can deploy different facts to try to justify different moral opinions. For example: 'a fetus uses another human body to survive and grow, possibly risking the host's physical or mental health, and possibly killing the host'. That is also a fact, independent of opinion. And from it, we can conclude that it's wrong to force the host to allow this to happen. But that is also an opinion, which also doesn't necessarily follow from the fact, how ever strongly we believe that it does. And it also rests on an opinion, such as: 'a human should be able to control what happens to its own body'.

7 The distinction between facts (true factual assertions) and assertions that express opinions, is crucial. But we hold strong moral opinions, so we forget or gloss over the distinction, in our determination to justify our opinions. And that's what happens, and has happened here, in the debate over abortion. We believe we're arguing about facts, when we're not. We're just using them, and our interpretations, to fight for our opinions.

8 And this leads to the unjustified claim that there are moral facts (moral objectivism) - that there are moral features of reality, such as 'the wrongness of abortion' that we can describe by means of assertions that are true independent of opinion. And that is a dangerous delusion.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:15 am 1 I think everyone is entitled to hold strong moral opinions, and many of us do on many issues,...
Yes, that's true: anybody can have an opinion about anything. But when I express a preference for chocolate over vanilla, I'm not implying that a) anybody else has reason to agree, and b) that anybody is being wrong for liking vanilla. In other words, it's strictly a private matter of taste.

But moral claims are not like that. Instead, they imply "You ought to as well," or "I am more rational / better / wiser / fairer / more just / etc. for holding my opinion that you are for holding the contrary opinion, and your opinion ought to change." A person may or may not back that claim with force, and may or may not supply reasons; but that is the effect he expects his claim to have on his listener.

And if he doesn't have it, he simply removes the moral claims, and says, "I like X," or "I prefer Y." He doesn't frame it as "X is right" or "Y is less moral." Ethical terms call for, and expect, assent from the recipient. Taste claims do not.
2 And one simple definition of 'objectivity' is 'independence of opinion'.
Well, that not a definition we should perhaps accept, I would say. Because it's pretty obvious that opinion and objectivity are sometimes found in the same situation. It is a fact that drinking turpentine will kill a person; but that doesn't mean it's not my opinion that it's a bad idea from a taste perspective as well. So both can exist in reference to one item. A person can find abortion both disgusting AND recognize it as homicidal. Or they can be delighted by it and say it's perfectly fine. Both are claims of opinion and fact together.
3 For an assertion to be a fact, in the first place, there must be a feature of reality for it to describe.
True. But that's the vexed question, isn't it? "Is the world an inherently amoral place, or is it also a morally-oriented place?" You have said you think the moral elements are not objectively real; I say they are. And our reasons for both come from our basic ontological assumptions: you believe (as far as I can tell) that the world is a product of chance plus time, and rightly conclude that if that is true then it's an objectively amoral place; I believe that it is the deliberate creation of a moral God, and thus comes freighted with rights and wrongs from Him. That's our key difference.

But so long as you hold to your ontological assumptions, you will never bring yourself to believe morality exists objectively. Paradoxically, you label me as a difficult and fractious person, perhaps irrational and obdurate, no? But even were that so, in your world, these things cannot be "bad." There is no objective "bad". So it makes me wonder why you bother to say so -- for after all, it's only one man's opinion, according to your view. And not expecting me or anyone else to have to share such a view, it makes me wonder why you state it.

Well, not really. What I can see is that you're lapsing from an amoral universe into a supposition of a moral one. But from your own ontological assumptions, to do so can make no sense. Thus, you're living as a divided man, in two worlds: in one world, you insist moral judgments are not objective, and in the other, you make moral claims.
4 We can and do deploy facts to try to justify our moral opinions. For example: 'a fetus consists of human DNA and will (normally) become a person outside the womb'. That is a fact, so it's unarguable - its truth is independent of opinion.
Indeed so. The vexed question is whether or not it is also a person in utero. And the answer to that -- one way or another -- will be totally independent of opinion as well. If a child is not a person, no saying of mine will make her one; but if she is, then no explanations of an abortionist will make her any less a person than she objectively is.
5 We can use the fact about DNA to try to justify the opinion 'therefore, abortion is wrong'.

Hume says we cannot. We cannot go from the claim, "This is a human by DNA" to the claim "It is wrong to kill a human," according to him. And he's right: in a world without God, no fact claim can be automatically attached to a value claim, without failing to address the rational connection between the two statements. But by Hume, there is also no rational connector possible between the first and the second statement.
But there is no logical connection between the fact and the opinion - the one doesn't follow necessarily from the other, how ever strongly we believe that it does. The opinion remains an opinion, and it rests on another opinion, such as: 'killing a being consisting of human DNA is wrong'.
That's exactly what Hume says. And I agree...but only if the world is as Hume took it to be: not the product of creation, but of mere chance.

Again, the difference between us is ontological. I believe God grounds moral claims, making them objective; Hume thought He does not. But even Hume could not remain self-consistent, for he implied that to pretend moral claims are objective was wrong -- and that itself is framed as an objective moral claim. Hume did not expect people would disagree with him merely by saying, "Well, I like making such claims." He expected them to feel rebuffed, instead.
6 We can deploy different facts to try to justify different moral opinions. For example: 'a fetus uses another human body to survive and grow, possibly risking the host's physical or mental health, and possibly killing the host'. That is also a fact, independent of opinion. And from it, we can conclude that it's wrong to force the host to allow this to happen.

Hume says no. We don't ever get justification for a moral claim from a factual one, he said.
But that is also an opinion, which also doesn't necessarily follow from the fact, how ever strongly we believe that it does. And it also rests on an opinion, such as: 'a human should be able to control what happens to its own body'.
Right. There is a prior belief that is supposed to back the moral claim. But it goes even farther: for how do we know "A human should be able to control what happens to her own body"? For a "should" is a moral term.

Who is guaranteeing this "should"? And why are we being expected to respond to this alleged "should"? It's very easy to respond: "None of us have control of our bodies. We're born into this world without our control, at the behest of others, we live at the mercy of others and of circumstances over which we have little or no control, and we die without our permission; who says it should be otherwise? Whence this moral imperative to give someone the delusion of control in matters where they actually have none?"

Now, of course, I don't believe that's how the universe is. But from a secular ontological perspective, why not? How are we going to ground this claim that anybody "should" have anything?
7 The distinction between facts (true factual assertions) and assertions that express opinions, is crucial. But we hold strong moral opinions, so we forget or gloss over the distinction, in our determination to justify our opinions.
Exactly what Hume said. He mocked it. We're all fooling ourselves, he said.

But you say "justify." To "justify" is to explain to the rational satisfaction of another's questions. But there can be no rational explanation necessary for a mere opinion. I don't have to "justify" my claim to like chocolate, do I? I'm not even sure how one would do that, in fact. We cannot "justify" a mere opinion, and as Hume said, especially not by calling on facts to do so.
8 And this leads to the unjustified claim that there are moral facts (moral objectivism) - that there are moral features of reality, such as 'the wrongness of abortion' that we can describe by means of assertions that are true independent of opinion. And that is a dangerous delusion.
In saying so, you leap again into objective moral language. Is a "dangerous delusion" a "bad" thing? If it's not, then you've made no claim there. But if it is, you've made an objective moral judgment.

Again, it's all too easy to argue I ought to be allowed my "delusions," no matter how "dangerous" they might be. Who says "delusions" are wrong -- particularly if they please someone -- and why should any "danger" to other people concern him? We do plenty of "dangerous" things, in life, from driving a car to rock climbing, and none of them are obviously immoral.

The point is simple, Pete: nobody lives like what you're saying is true. And while, in a Godless world, such a point of view would indeed be right (as I'll quite happily concede) an interesting empirical fact is that nobody -- including yourself -- can act as if that's really true. We all make, and depend on, moral judgment we take to be objective.

Now there's an objective fact with which we ought to reckon!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm But if you're saying, "IC is wrong to have a strongly-held moral opinion,"
I don't think anyone is saying that. But it is only an opinion, it carries no more or less weight than the opposite opinion; I think that is the point that is being made.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Immanuel Can

We've been here before, many times.

If you accept Hume's claim - an 'is' can't entail and 'ought' - then that is true whether or not there's a god with moral opinions. So your position is hopeless for two reasons: you can't show there is a god, let alone which one is the right one, let alone what its moral opinions are; and even if you could, that would still not mean that morality is objective.

Your claim that subjective morality means no morality is simply false. A secular humanist morality is vastly superior to a theistic morality, which amounts to obeying orders. And your claim that when people have moral values and behave morally, that means that they believe morality is objective, is also simply false.

Nothing's changed in your position or argument since we last debated this. Let's leave it for others to decide.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:24 pm But it is only an opinion, it carries no more or less weight than the opposite opinion; I think that is the point that is being made.
Yes, I think that's what Peter's trying to say.

But the problem with that point is that one doesn't state things that one expects to have "no weight." Why bother? But where is any "weight" at all coming from, and why should any of us agree to pick it up, if Peter's opinion simply "has no more weight" than its total opposite?
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:25 pm Immanuel Can

If you accept Hume's claim - an 'is' can't entail and 'ought' - then that is true whether or not there's a god with moral opinions. So your position is hopeless for two reasons: you can't show there is a god, let alone which one is the right one, let alone what its moral opinions are; and even if you could, that would still not mean that morality is objective.

Your claim that subjective morality means no morality is simply false. And as it happens, I believe a secular humanist morality is vastly superior to a theistic morality, which amounts to obeying orders. And your claim that when people have moral values and behave morally, that means that they believe morality is objective, is also simply false.

Nothing's changed in your position or argument since we last debated this. Let's leave it for others to decide.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:25 pm Immanuel Can

If you accept Hume's claim - an 'is' can't entail and 'ought' - then that is true whether or not there's a god with moral opinions.
Actually, no, it's not.

If the universe was created for purpose, then "good" is what serves that purpose, and "bad" is what does not. The factual comes already bundled with the value.
Your claim that subjective morality means no morality is simply false.
It does not mean one cannot make moral statements. It would mean that when one does, those statements refer to nothing but the temporary feelings of the one speaking them, and that they have no implication at all for anyone else.
A secular humanist morality is vastly superior to a theistic morality,
That's a value judgment.

If it's not, then you're merely saying, "Yay, humanist morality." And anybody who says, "Boo, humanist morality" is your equal, then.

There is no "superiority" without moral hierarchy...lower, higher, superior..., and your claim makes objective moral hierarchy impossible. Nothing, then, can be "superior": it can only be "presently preferred by Peter," which isn't the strength of the claim you wished to make, I would think.
...which amounts to obeying orders.
Actually, it does in the assumptions of some forms of Theism (collectively referred to as forms of "legalism"), but certainly not for others. It depends on how one sees "Law" as functioning.
Let's leave it for others to decide.
As you wish. I'm content, if you are.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Immanuel Can

I'm content. Others can assess our arguments. Thanks.