How construct a sound Ethical Theory?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: How construct a sound Ethical Theory?

Post by Age »

gaffo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:52 am
Age wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:42 am
gaffo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 am

as i thought, thanks for answering my inquiry
I do NOT know what answer you "got", and do NOT really care.

But anyway what is a 'troll', to you?
you
Okay, so according to your own "logic"; 'you' are a troll (whatever that may well be, only 'you' know).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

I do not value trolls, but yes i reply to one as a troll in reply to me.

i do value discussion over trolish invective though.

and so will reply with honest civility to you if you'd like to talk about the "matter to things" - and if you and i dissagree about such things - fine my me.

I await discussion with you about the matters of the World, sir.
prof

Post by prof »

Logik wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:20 pm
prof wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:02 am The fact that The Golden Rule (when correctly understood) is completely compatible with the fresh, new paradigm for Ethics, the Hartman/Katz approach

Logik wrote: But you don't understand The Golden Rule correctly.
That's your opinion.

The Golden Rule is about reciprocity.

If you show kindness - I will reciprocate it.

This is correct, in a sense. "Reciprocity is suggested in the rule -- reciprocity of decent treatment. I want people to be kind to me. I certainly don't want them to be violent toward me.

If you show me violence - I will reciprocate that too.

The Prince of Peace (as this wise rabbi was known, he was the one who proposed to his disciples and followers this formulation of The Golden Rule: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.) would never advocate violence against another human being!

In response to violence you preach pacifism.

That is a false charge. And it is a smear, a slander.

The truth is that I believe if one's country is militarily invaded, the invader ought to efficiently be driven out. Other than that I have no use for military force. If an internal riot needs to be quelled, the police, if at all possible, ought to use nonviolent means to control it.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

prof wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 pm The truth is that I believe if one's country is militarily invaded, the invader ought to efficiently be driven out. Other than that I have no use for military force.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That IS the primary purpose of a military!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military
The main task of the military is usually defined as defence of the state and its interests against external armed threats

I am sure that other than getting from A to B you have no use for transportation either.
prof wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 pm If an internal riot needs to be quelled, the police, if at all possible, ought to use nonviolent means to control it.
....BUT violence is always an option of last resort.

Why do you keep forgetting to mention that, prof? Do you want to get accused of lying by omission?
prof wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 pm That is a false charge. And it is a smear, a slander.
Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who aren't.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war...
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 pm Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who aren't.
... the thug says just before slitting your throat and taking your money.

There is nothing wrong with violence. How else would rock get blasted for quarries and mining? It's the means to all powerful internal combustion engines.

It's the thugs who live to kill people and destroy their property, while using the cover lie of, "protecting others," for no other purpose than to serve some government's ambitions to have and control more, that are objectionable.

Anyone who believes governments, or military, or police, or any other agencie of force are interested in their welfare are self-deceived and will end up being victims of the very agencies they worship as their protectors.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:40 pm
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 pm Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who aren't.
So you wouldn't resort to violence in order to prevent your throat from being slit?

Strange mindset...

If you are unwilling or incapable to be violent when necessary, who should do violence on your behalf?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:43 pm
So you wouldn't resort to violence in order to prevent your throat from being slit?
If you really concluded that from what I wrote, you have a reading comprehension problem. But I don't believe you, it is just another of our disingenuous questions, and we've already had that discussion.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I received our latest CWPs. That's what a concealed carry permit is called in South Carolina. We're both packing, so be careful whose declaration of non-violence you think makes it safe to threaten them.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:43 pm If you are unwilling or incapable to be violent when necessary, who should do violence on your behalf?
Obviously I do not need anyone else to protect me, especially not a warmonger, cop, or any other thug, (as if they could).
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:58 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:43 pm
If you really concluded that from what I wrote, you have a reading comprehension problem. But I don't believe you, it is just another of our disingenuous questions, and we've already had that discussion.
It is not clear whether you agree or disagree with my comment. You seem to be disagreeing, but then you go on to demonstrate that you aren't opposed to violence.

Are you too embarrassed to agree or what?

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:58 pm Two weeks ago, my wife and I received our latest CWPs. That's what a concealed carry permit is called in South Carolina. We're both packing, so be careful whose declaration of non-violence you think makes it safe to threaten them.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:43 pm If you are unwilling or incapable to be violent when necessary, who should do violence on your behalf?
Obviously I do not need anyone else to protect me, especially not a warmonger, cop, or any other thug, (as if they could).
It's one thing to own a gun. It's entirely another to know how to use it under duress.

Far too many talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. What's your training regimen like?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 pm It's one thing to own a gun. It's entirely another to know how to use it under duress.

Far too many talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. What's your training regimen like?
Once a week my wife and I hunt down a skeptical philosopher and shoot her.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:52 pm Once a week my wife and I hunt down a skeptical philosopher and shoot her.
Unless you get shot first?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:52 pm Once a week my wife and I hunt down a skeptical philosopher and shoot her.
Unless you get shot first?
Obviously, we didn't. We don't telegraph our intentions. You'll never see us coming.

You're perfectly safe, though! Really! Trust me!
frosteagle

Post by frosteagle »

Don't. Focus on learning how to accurately record and observe instead. Then and only then is it possible to construct a sound ethical theory. Ethics is based on perception. https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for- ... -apr09.pdf
prof

Post by prof »

frosteagle wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:56 pm Don't. Focus on learning how to accurately record and observe instead. Then and only then is it possible to construct a sound ethical theory. Ethics is based on perception. https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for- ... -apr09.pdf
Greetings, frosteagle

I read the Tradecraft Primer for improving Intelligence analysis. And I read Waldrop, on Complexity: introducing the new science... And I read Gladwell's book The Tipping Point.

I realize there could be a practical-infinity of perspectives. I am aware that there are on this planet many distinctive cultures, each with their own point-of-view. I have "put myself in the shoes" of maybe five of them - as a kind of "Red Team analysis -- although there may be (for me) 80 to 150 more to go.

What I don't understand is what you mean by your use of the word "ethics." Can you be more precise about that; and also tell us what the relationship is between "ethics" as you use the term, and "perspective," as you understand it.

My first attempt at trying to grasp what you are driving at is to state that if I were clear about your major perspective on things, I would better know how to be kind to you in a way you would find acceptable.
And I would better know how to encourage our mutual moral development, our moral growth.

So the first requirement is to 'get on the same page' as the other person, to find out what values we share in common, and then build a relationship from there.

Please correct me if I'm way off in my thinking. Okay?
prof

Post by prof »

At the end of my last post I spoke of "my thinking."

It would be proper to give readers a larger sample of my way of thinking - a piece of writing relevant to the Forum topic: Ethical Theory.

Here is a safe-to-open, free-of-charge link to it:

THE STRUCTURE OF ETHICS (2019)
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/TH ... ETHICS.pdf

Let me know your impressions ...okay?

Was this contribution to the field of theory rational, coherent, of practical use, useful and sound?

All comments, questions, and ideas for improvement or upgrades are most welcome!