A good theory of Ethics is emerging.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

A good theory of Ethics is emerging.

Post by prof »

I may be wrong but it is my view that very few people, up to now, are aware that there is a system behind considerate and responsible behavior.

A system connects the dots, and it serves to explain what earlier, before we know the theory, seemed chaotic and left people feeling confused.

In this instance the theory is named "Ethics." It deals with how to achieve good human relations, as well as how to make a sound moral decision.

Today, for the most part, people learn ethics by an example, a role model. This example is displayed by one who (in effect) practices the logical theory, one who lives it. Such an individual has an admirable character and thus serves as a positive role model.

See THE BREAKTHROUGH (2018) http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BREAKT ... %20all.pdf

And see: LIVING WELL: How ethics helps us flourish (Nov. 2015)
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/LI ... ourish.pdf

And, for more detail, see:
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ETHICS ... CIENCE.pdf
written in in the year 2000.

Currently, I am writing a book, which hopefully will be out on or before the year 2020, entitled THE STRUCTURE OF ETHICS: Achieving Moral Clarity.

If a country had a criminal as its Chief Executive, one who violates nearly every ethical norm, he would set a bad example. Here in the U.S.A. we have stepped back from the moral policies - and the resulting moral leadership - we once had. It's a shame, but it's true. There is though a good chance that we will eventually go in the right direction again.

Evolution, I would argue, is the opposite of entropy; and we are evolving, on this planet, away from tribalism and toward planetary awareness, toward planetary citizenship. We are all one human family, and some day we will realize it.

Your informed comments are welcome!
Veritas Aequitas

Re: A good theory of Ethics is emerging.

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Prof Katz,
I noticed you are focusing merely on one subject, i.e. ethics, all over the web promoting your views and those of Robert Hartman's scientific axiology.
I agree with most of your views and I would recommend members to read [not necessary agree with] them.

I wonder why posters are not complaining of your single focus while I am receiving very ultra emotional and stinging attacks on my focus on the evil and violent acts [this is morality and ethics] from Islamists.
Btw, my participation in various topics is much wider than your sole attention to only 'ethics'. Btw, I am not complaining.
Noted you are also siding with the Islam apologists and failed to understand the proximate and ultimate root cause of the evil of Islam the ideology.

I believed your ethical views will ultimately fail if you do not address the proximate and ultimate root causes of the real and prevalent terrible evil and violent acts from Islamists.
When you divert attention of Islamic-based evil from its main doctrines [i.e. the Quran] you are pushing the ethical problem to some other superficial causes.

In terms of scientific axiology, one has to assign the evil elements in the Quran as a very critical variable with heavy weightage.

Your views?
prof

Post by prof »

Can you please define "Islamist."

I have several next-door neighbors in my condominium who have Islam as their faith, and who are some of the most loving people I have met. They are an asset to our community.

Be careful not to sweep in too many people, or to use a few factors to judge an individual - for that is the meaning of "prejudice." You don't want to be a bigot, do you?
Veritas Aequitas

prof wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:53 am Can you please define "Islamist."

I have several next-door neighbors in my condominium who have Islam as their faith, and who are some of the most loving people I have met. They are an asset to our community.

Be careful not to sweep in too many people, or to use a few factors to judge an individual - for that is the meaning of "prejudice." You don't want to be a bigot, do you?
I presumed you are academically based thus has reasonable intellectual competence.

Surely you cannot judge the ideology of a religion from few Muslims or even the majority.

Example, the essence and ethos of what is Nazism is contained with Mein Kempf literally, i.e. not based on the subjective opinions of its members.
Thus the essence, ethos and authority of Islam has to be from the immutable direct words of Allah as contained in the Quran.

Academically, you have to read the 6,236 verses of the Quran thoroughly to understand [not necessary agree] to come to any reasonable conclusion of what the ideology of Islam really represent. I believe this is a necessity at least on an ethical basis.
Note I had spent 3 years full time researching the words and authority of Quran to understand Allah's intention therein.

An Islamist is a Muslim who had entered into a covenant/contract* with Allah and accept Muhammad is Allah's messenger. All the terms of the contract are contain within the 6,236 verses of the Quran.
This contractual obligation is very critical and all Muslims must comply with the immutable terms of the contract within the Quran.
The Quran contains good and evil [loads of it] which a Muslim must comply and act in accordance to them to merit them an eternal life in Paradise.

I believe you will not be giving 'ethics' [good and evil] a sufficient coverage if you do not take into account the very evil elements within the Quran which inspire SOME believers to commit terrible evil and violent acts in the name of the religion.

What is the effectiveness of you discussing ethics [in my case Morality & Ethics] if you do not take into account the root and proximate causes of this critical statistics which will go on and on;
prof

Post by prof »

It is not ethical to think in terms of "Us" versus "Them" [unless you are a Moral Psychologist analyzing a situation. See work by Joshua Greene of Harvard Univ.]

Instead think: How can we together make for widespread prosperity by working cooperatively on some project? How can I be of service, in an ethical way, to this Moslem who I encounter? How can I express personal caring for him or her? How can we reach a consensus on something? ...find a shared goal; make plans to bring it about?

We human beings have far more in common than we have differences. For example, you and this Moslem both like to eat, to be healthy, to have some leisure, to be comfortable in terms of having enough money, etc., etc.

Incidentally, stop hijacking other peole's threads. Start your own, if you want to rant about "evil." The last six terrorist attacks (mass murders and threats of same) were committed by those of other beliefs than Islamic. Every scripture can be interpreted as endorsing violence {or slavery, sex slavery, or something even worse} - since they are written for the most part poetically.

Is it possible you are indulging in confused, inadequate or faulty thinking? I know I do. Study up on the ways the mind is prone to be erroneous. Increase your degree of tolerance!

Be friendly to a Moslem, and you may be surprised: he may treat you the same way. Avoid getting bogged down in ideologies; they are all partly wrong.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Prof,

Probably there are more good people than there are selfish people. Unfortunately the selfish people who intend to eat up all the natural environment before it goes bust are going to do so. I only hope that there will be an unpredictable deus ex machina to save us.
Veritas Aequitas

prof wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 am It is not ethical to think in terms of "Us" versus "Them" [unless you are a Moral Psychologist analyzing a situation. See work by Joshua Greene of Harvard Univ.]

Instead think: How can we together make for widespread prosperity by working cooperatively on some project? How can I be of service, in an ethical way, to this Moslem who I encounter? How can I express personal caring for him or her? How can we reach a consensus on something? ...find a shared goal; make plans to bring it about?

We human beings have far more in common than we have differences. For example, you and this Moslem both like to eat, to be healthy, to have some leisure, to be comfortable in terms of having enough money, etc., etc.

Incidentally, stop hijacking other peole's threads. Start your own, if you want to rant about "evil." The last six terrorist attacks (mass murders and threats of same) were committed by those of other beliefs than Islamic. Every scripture can be interpreted as endorsing violence {or slavery, sex slavery, or something even worse} - since they are written for the most part poetically.

Is it possible you are indulging in confused, inadequate or faulty thinking? I know I do. Study up on the ways the mind is prone to be erroneous. Increase your degree of tolerance!

Be friendly to a Moslem, and you may be surprised: he may treat you the same way. Avoid getting bogged down in ideologies; they are all partly wrong.
There is a slight off topic. It was after I was cursed for critiquing of Islam and in other times too focus on ONE topic.
viewtopic.php?p=382872#p382872
I remembered you are a one topic person, thus my off point. I won't delve into this.

However we cannot deal with 'emerging theory of Ethics' without considering such terrible evils [part of Ethics] from the ideology of Islam.

I am not anti-Muslims [..I have many Muslim friends], note this thread I raised;

Do Not Blame Muslims!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24842

My focus is always on the ideology not the believers.

OK, I will not go further.
prof

Post by prof »

Belinda wrote:
Prof,

Probably there are more good people than there are selfish people. Unfortunately the selfish people who intend to eat up all the natural environment before it goes bust are going to do so. I only hope that there will be an unpredictable deus ex machina to save us.
There will be. We already see one recently-elected citizens of one country, the USA, starting to go in the right direction - on the issue of Climate Change; and working on a stronger safety-net for the less fortunate among us. And, as the recent Congressional election showed, there was a healthy reaction to a President who violated very, very many ethical norms, someone who it seems has no moral compass, no sense of inclusivity, no empathy to the feelings of those he harms, insults, depreciates, tramples upon their dignity.

Aequitas writes:
OK, I will not go further.
Thank you for not further veering off-topic with a narrow focus [based on four years of scholarship and study of the Koran.]

As an ethicist, I am not that interested in ideology. I also avoid dogma, creeds, and opinions not substantiated by facts. I feel Ethics should be rooted in science, in sound research, and whenever possible in experimentation done with ethics in mind.

What did you Readers think of The Breakthrough essay?
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BREAKT ... %20all.pdf

There is an updated version of it available for the Kindle:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGBP8GZ/re ... in+C.+Katz

See also:
How automation creates jobs:
http://www.siia.net/blog/index/Post/702 ... nk-Tellers

and see:
http://www.siia.net/blog/index/Post/708 ... -is-Coming
And see:
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/01/ ... sic-income

Comments? Suggestions?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

prof wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 am I may be wrong but it is my view that very few people, up to now, are aware that there is a system behind considerate and responsible behavior.

A system connects the dots, and it serves to explain what earlier, before we know the theory, seemed chaotic and left people feeling confused.

In this instance the theory is named "Ethics." It deals with how to achieve good human relations, as well as how to make a sound moral decision.

Today, for the most part, people learn ethics by an example, a role model. This example is displayed by one who (in effect) practices the logical theory, one who lives it. Such an individual has an admirable character and thus serves as a positive role model.

See THE BREAKTHROUGH (2018) http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BREAKT ... %20all.pdf

And see: LIVING WELL: How ethics helps us flourish (Nov. 2015)
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/LI ... ourish.pdf

And, for more detail, see:
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ETHICS ... CIENCE.pdf
written in in the year 2000.

Currently, I am writing a book, which hopefully will be out on or before the year 2020, entitled THE STRUCTURE OF ETHICS: Achieving Moral Clarity.

If a country had a criminal as its Chief Executive, one who violates nearly every ethical norm, he would set a bad example. Here in the U.S.A. we have stepped back from the moral policies - and the resulting moral leadership - we once had. It's a shame, but it's true. There is though a good chance that we will eventually go in the right direction again.

Evolution, I would argue, is the opposite of entropy; and we are evolving, on this planet, away from tribalism and toward planetary awareness, toward planetary citizenship. We are all one human family, and some day we will realize it.

Your informed comments are welcome!
What is the rational metaphysical foundation for this ethics?
prof

Post by prof »

I wrote:
Then Eodnhoj7 wrote:
What is the rational metaphysical foundation for this ethics?
Hi, there
It all depends upon what you mean by "metaphysical." Please define it with some care for us.
If it means what I think it means, you are asking me to reproduce for you here the entire 100-page book I'm wring :!: :roll:

{Actually, it may not turn out to be 100 pages, but maybe only about 80 pages, or so.Still, you are asking a lot: the book isn't even finished yet. I am adding a chapter on "What is an ethical business?" and a chapter on how it all applies to good government.

Once I hear how you define with some precision that vague concept 'metaphysical,' I will be able to respond more intelligently. Okay?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Prof, environment danger is so immediate and so acute that I wonder if your optimistic words are pragmatic , not what you really believe.

Can you really believe that China and India are going to stop their carbon emissions anytime soon? And even in the USA there are many supporters of the cut of Trump. Your optimistic predictions based upon human goodness and reasonableness are perhaps not as global as they should be.
prof

Post by prof »

Hi, Belinda

As you know, China and India are signatories to the Paris Accord on Climate Change, and Trump has dropped out in words only - not in reality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... _Agreement

Here, at this link, we learn that it may take until the yeatr2030 for India to reach its target:

https://ballotpedia.org/Fact_check/Chin ... _Agreement

We have 20 years before we pass a point-of-no-return with regard to repairing a large part of the damage. The melting of the glaciers has already begun, and it will release methane into our atmosphere, making the Greenhouse Effect more of a problem. I believe we already have the technology to pull CO2 and Methane out of the atmosphere in a big way; all we need is the will.

China is way ahead of us in switching over to alternative sources of energy other than fossil fuels. India is a natural place to make massive use of solar energy, once they get moving with their program to do so.

As Buckminster (Bucky) Fuller pointed out and explained in his book, CRITICAL PATH, there are immense hidden costs in the drilling and mining to get fossil fuels for us to burn; these off-the-book costs are the abuse of nature: the despoiling of our habitat, the planet, Earth. {It took many centuries for nature to deposit the vegetation that becomes natural gas and petroleum.} With our polluting of the air and waters (the ocean and seas) we have abused nature!!

Nature is getting back at us for that: note that each super hurricane and each record-breaking fire, and each massive flood cost us more than ever before. The damage is very extremely expensive to us!

Some day soon, those in a leadership position who have power to govern, will wake up and do something about the danger. Plan for this. Work out the necessary steps. Lobby and campaign for this. Mobilize.

It does not help your mental health, and moral health, for you to worry about it so much and for you to 'live in the future,' instead of making the most of the present. [Perhaps what I just said does not apply to you, since you are already an environmental activist, in which case don't take it personally.]
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Prof wrote:

Some day soon, those in a leadership position who have power to govern, will wake up and do something about the danger. Plan for this. Work out the necessary steps. Lobby and campaign for this. Mobilize.

It does not help your mental health, and moral health, for you to worry about it so much and for you to 'live in the future,' instead of making the most of the present. [Perhaps what I just said does not apply to you, since you are already an environmental activist, in which case don't take it personally.]
You are right, Prof, that it does not help moral or environmental health to worry about it so much. I think that the amount of worrying about it that I do is about right.I do believe that that a degree of neuroticism is beneficial for learning and for getting things done.

I do indeed take sensible opinions seriously, including yours as I believe that your heart is in the right place. I hope that your popular style of writing will be popular, especially as the devil sometimes seems to have the good tunes which enchant large sections of the public. It is amazing that Mr Trump has not had a change of heart about the reality of climate change as he views the destructions in California. It's not amazing , not really; a Mafia boss is not expected to be other than out for himself and maybe his cronies.

I note especially your optimism regarding the power of good people to make beneficial changes. I fear that the political history and the increasing desertification of subSaharan Africa is too much for the best of its inhabitants to cope with and as we see there is increasing desperation to escape to Europe. Similarly with the enterprising people who are so desperate to brave Trump's wall. Still all this is no reason to do nothing and not worry.
prof

Post by prof »

We need more programs in the model of The Marshall Plan, this time to install solar panels for the people of sub-Saharan Africa where a desert exists; and, to hold back further desertification, this program of aid ought turn their deserts into gardens. Some Israeli showed how it could be done when he did it in the Negev Desert as a demonstration of possibility.

Once the West, and the OCD (the richer developed countries) return to sanity - if they ever had it - once they learn their Ethics, they will launch programs like those I mentioned. It would not be pure Good Will, but rather it would be enlightened self-interest driving it. For the fact is that if we well-off folks help reduce poverty anywhere we are benefiting ourselves. Let's be aware of that!.

How does it work? It reduces potential threats ...of diseases, revolts, terrorist acts, etc. In that way we are benefited.

This is realistic as well as idealistic.

p.s. When I spoke of Ethics above, I was referring to the teachings of The Hartman/Katz paradigm expressed in A Unified Theory of Ethics - and developed further in other writings by M. C. Katz, Ph.D.
prof

Post by prof »

Belinda wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:52 pm
I
do indeed take sensible opinions seriously, including yours as I believe that your heart is in the right place. I hope that your popular style of writing will be popular...

I note especially your optimism regarding the power of good people to make beneficial changes.

Thanks for those kind words, Belinda.

The writings will be popular if you help make them so by spreading them around, emailing them out to interested parties, calling attention to them, using the ideas in them in your own work and advocacy. {Giving me credit is completely unnecessary.}

I am always open to someone improving on the theory, upgrading it, and enhancing it. Especially helpful would be showing the ideas and concepts to educators, and to parents, who have the capacity to understand the ideas - people who can think. They will take the concepts and adapt them to their own situations

I encourage them to learn and also think for themselves..