A good theory of Ethics is emerging.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: A good theory of Ethics is emerging.

Post by Skepdick »

PeteJ wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 am Your ethical theory seems to state that ethics is complicated.
That is strange, since I don't have a theory. I have a principle. Primum non nocere.
PeteJ wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 am Mine states it is simple.
Is it simpler than my principle?
PeteJ wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 am Either way, nothing can be explained to computer.
You mean except for all things that can be explained to a computer? Because all Mathematical models of reality (e.g all the things Physics gives us) are computational and computable. It sure seems to me that we can explain chemistry to a computer

And we can explain to a computer how to diagnose common diseases..
We can also explain to a computer how to outperform human radiologists in diagnosing cancer.

So, by the Primum non nocere principle it seems to me that we should have computers helping diagnosticians do their jobs better?

It's so obvious, surely it requires no theory? Least we forget that in theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Those who insist otherwise seek job security, not anything of human value. Academic 'ethicists', I imagine?
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

I'd like to see you explain a cream bun to a computer.

I take it that what you mean by 'explain' is encode on a set of punch-cards. It's not what I mean so we're at cross-purposes.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

PeteJ wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 pm I'd like to see you explain a cream bun to a computer.
Why? What is the purpose in that?

But I am pretty sure you can't even 'explain' a cream bun to yourself, never mind to a computer.
PeteJ wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 pm I take it that what you mean by 'explain' is encode on a set of punch-cards. It's not what I mean so we're at cross-purposes.
I thought I was clear?

In the context of any particar teleology "explaining" means "telling a computer how to do whatever it is that your purpose requires to be done".

Towards the ethical purpose of curing cancer that entails explaining to a computer how to diagnose it first.

You can tell a human computer how to do it. All the same. Explain HOW to somebody else. Using whatever medium or communication you think will work. English, punch cards or Python.

Up to you.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

But I am pretty sure you can't even 'explain' a cream bun to yourself, never mind to a computer.
Sugar is well known as an addictive substance . The physiology of addiction could in theory be explained to a computer.