"He did it first!"

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re:

Post by gaffo »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:50 pm Gaffo,

I'm no conservative.
no? - you just floored me - being here for a year or so and noting you posts.

welcome your view and how you are not a conservative.

mind you - though i think i insulted you as "heartless 6 months ago" - i do value discussion over invective and would welcome undertsanding your views.

--lower case please, monicure(sp- fk dyslexia) dates back 20 yrs per Ars Technica membership monicure.
gaffo

Re: "He did it first!"

Post by gaffo »

utterly off topic (per films - not per theme - so quazi off topic).

as one that values the concept of Rule of Law - if of opposite parties- i'd like to recommend one of the top 20 moives of all time.

"A man of all seasons" - think YT removed it yrs ago- refer to your local library.

I bought the Bluray of - after viewing the DVD encode on YT years ago.

its all about Secular Humanism - which i fully affirm - great story and great actor - with a moral theme (such lacking today in the crap offered on tv/netficks/etc............
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Me: I'm no conservative.

Gaffo: no? - you just floored me - being here for a year or so and noting you posts. welcome your view and how you are not a conservative.

As I say elsewhere, I skew toward the anarchic (leave me be and I'll leave you be) with preferably no moderating agencies. However, I know that won't fly with most folks (cuz most folks apparently aren't capable of consistent self-direction and don't want to self-rely). So I advocate for minarchy (minimal, watchman-like, governance).

#

"mind you - though i think i insulted you as "heartless 6 months ago""

I don't remember that, but don't worry about. Compared to most here, I probably am heartless.
TimeSeeker

Re:

Post by TimeSeeker »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 pm cuz most folks apparently aren't capable of consistent self-direction and don't want to self-rely). So I advocate for minarchy (minimal, watchman-like, governance).
When last did you self-rely for electricity, water purification, sanitation, medicine, food production, fire fighting? Do you make your own clothes, tools, cars? Did you build your own house? Your own roads and infrastructure? Did you acquire all your knowledge from first principles?

The moment you outsource your “self-reliance” to any of those institutions who do offer those services you give them power. Money and influence!

And when they grow more influential than your “minarchy” they become your government.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"And when they grow more influential than your “minarchy” they become your government."

Yep. That one reason (as I just said in another thread) I'll never see a minarchy.

But that may not be so bad.

What you describe (probably without intention) is Ancap heaven.

I'm not overly fond of Ancap but -- in my view -- it's a damn sight better than what's runnin' now (not as good as the Watchman, though).