Privacy

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Privacy

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I worked at the lab of this paint manufacturer. One day the manager called the head office to say he fired one of his workers because he figured this worker was planted as a spy to report on what was going on at the factory.

I find it interesting that the owner didn't trust the manager to give him reports and went behind his back. I would side with the owner who owned the business and had a right to know what was going on. I think though the owner could have handled it better and let the manager in on the owner's investigation (whatever had prompted the investigation in the first place).

Since I don't have further detail, I can only speculate. Do you think that what the owner did was ethical?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
gaffo

Re: Privacy

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 am I worked at the lab of this paint manufacturer. One day the manager called the head office to say he fired one of his workers because he figured this worker was planted as a spy to report on what was going on at the factory.

I find it interesting that the owner didn't trust the manager to give him reports and went behind his back.
???

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 am I would side with the owner who owned the business and had a right to know what was going on. I think though the owner could have handled it better and let the manager in on the owner's investigation (whatever had prompted the investigation in the first place).

Since I don't have further detail, I can only speculate. Do you think that what the owner did was ethical?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
sorry, you post seems contradictory.

can't follow it.

clarification welcomed.
Philosophy Explorer

gaffo wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 am I worked at the lab of this paint manufacturer. One day the manager called the head office to say he fired one of his workers because he figured this worker was planted as a spy to report on what was going on at the factory.

I find it interesting that the owner didn't trust the manager to give him reports and went behind his back.
???

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 am I would side with the owner who owned the business and had a right to know what was going on. I think though the owner could have handled it better and let the manager in on the owner's investigation (whatever had prompted the investigation in the first place).

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

can't follow it.

clarification welcomed.
Disregard the title to this thread.

I'm trying to describe an unusual situation. Normally you're supposed to have confidence in the people who work for you. Apparently the owner had no confidence in his manager and the owner found out about a factory incident through his spy so I'm asking is what the owner did ethical? If you were the owner, how would you keep tabs on what was going on at the factory (besides using a spy?)

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Walker

Post by Walker »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 am Disregard the title to this thread.
I thought it was the foundation of Roe vs. Wade.

Disregarding that does require a rational construct of premises.
Last edited by Walker on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Folks have lost profitable, well-respected businesses because of trusting employees, who may also pass themselves off as friends at social events. The owner can be highly energetic, charismatic, talented, with a great work ethic, and lose it all because of trusting, without verifying in an impartial, business-like, professional, and kind manner.

:)
Philosophy Explorer

Walker wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:07 pm Folks have lost profitable, well-respected businesses because of trusting employees, who may also pass themselves off as friends at social events. The owner can be highly energetic, charismatic, talented, with a great work ethic, and lose it all because of trusting, without verifying in an impartial, business-like, professional, and kind manner.

:)
The answer is simple Walker. Replace that manager with someone else you can trust. What I'm interested in is that spy the owner sent in (assuming the manager is right). I think the owner should have had a meeting with the manager.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 am
gaffo wrote: ↑Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 am

???

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

can't follow it.

clarification welcomed.
Disregard the title to this thread.

I'm trying to describe an unusual situation. Normally you're supposed to have confidence in the people who work for you. Apparently the owner had no confidence in his manager and the owner found out about a factory incident through his spy so I'm asking is what the owner did ethical? If you were the owner, how would you keep tabs on what was going on at the factory (besides using a spy?)

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
i guess i'll wish for a better owner, one that would hire a manager he'd trust, and then go from there.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I find it interesting that the owner didn't trust the manager to give him reports and went behind his back. I would side with the owner who owned the business and had a right to know what was going on. I think though the owner could have handled it better and let the manager in on the owner's investigation (whatever had prompted the investigation in the first place).

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
He's the owner. It's his business. Lots of loonies out there though, and it sucks when you work for someone not quite stable.