Do good people suicide or are they just cruel to the people that love them?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Anthony Bourdain. one of my favourite Americans. Why FFS! I survived because I love my Mum too much.

Maybe he didn't have anyone around that his action would affect too much?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Do good people suicide or are they just cruel to the people that love them?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Pretty selfish of people to expect someone to hang around miserable just because it suits them.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Suicides do it to end an unbearable suffering.

Those who think it's a selfish act should first experience the same level of abject misery before they would pass that judgement.

I support suicide on all levels.

Oh, and whether a person is "good" or "evil" has no bearing whatsoever on the decision to kill one's own self.
vegetariantaxidermy

-1- wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am Suicides do it to end an unbearable suffering.

Those who think it's a selfish act should first experience the same level of abject misery before they would pass that judgement.

Oh, and whether a person is "good" or "evil" has no bearing whatsoever on the decision to kill one's own self.
True. I never understood the concept of 'suicide as a selfish act'. It doesn't even make sense (probably why it always seems to be religious nuts who make that claim--they never make any sense at the best of times).
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:30 am
-1- wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am Suicides do it to end an unbearable suffering.

True. I never understood the concept of 'suicide as a selfish act'. It doesn't even make sense (probably why it always seems to be religious nuts who make that claim--they never make any sense at the best of times).
As a 'religious nut' My sage confirmed that I had suffered more than Christ...i attempted suicide - where God fucked me over too much around 2003, but I did\attempted it in a non-physical way - lots of sleeping pills, a bottle of wine. a car with the exhaust piped to the interior...I decided at that point - if this 'God' wanted me dead, that would confirm it. I loved my mother too much to do it physically.
Rather than taking an angle grinder to my throat, (i could never slit my own throat) which is more physical.

I awoke in bed, feeling great. My car had rolled down and hit the shed. And there was a sketch on my lounge room wall of a wizard, cradling either a child or the solar system. and it was sketched in pencil, as if so fast that no human could have sketched it.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:30 am

As a 'religious nut' My sage confirmed that I had suffered more than Christ...i attempted suicide - where God fucked me over too much around 2003, but I did\attempted it in a non-physical way - lots of sleeping pills, a bottle of wine. a car with the exhaust piped to the interior...I decided at that point - if this 'God' wanted me dead, that would confirm it. I loved my mother too much to do it physically.
Rather than taking an angle grinder to my throat, (i could never slit my own throat) which is more physical.

I awoke in bed, feeling great. My car had rolled down and hit the shed. And there was a sketch on my lounge room wall of a wizard, cradling either a child or the solar system. and it was sketched in pencil, as if so fast that no human could have sketched it.
DTs?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Sometimes people figure that loved ones would be better off without them. They are probably usually wrong in that assumption but they are the kinds of thoughts the suicidal can go through.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 pm Sometimes people figure that loved ones would be better off without them. They are probably usually wrong in that assumption but they are the kinds of thoughts the suicidal can go through.
As usual, good point Greta.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

Do you think a miserable person who wants to commit suicide has a duty to live for those who love them?

I think people shouldn't kill themselves, generally speaking, because it's a really dumb option. The person who does commit suicide, in my opinion, is not able to see that it's a really dumb option because they're desperate and beaten. The obvious answer to your question is that by the standard definition of "good", yes good people commit suicide even when they leave loved ones behind. Their loved ones would be the first ones to attest to that in all likelihood.
vegetariantaxidermy

Judaka wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 pm Do you think a miserable person who wants to commit suicide has a duty to live for those who love them?

I think people shouldn't kill themselves, generally speaking, because it's a really dumb option. The person who does commit suicide, in my opinion, is not able to see that it's a really dumb option because they're desperate and beaten. The obvious answer to your question is that by the standard definition of "good", yes good people commit suicide even when they leave loved ones behind. Their loved ones would be the first ones to attest to that in all likelihood.
How is it a 'dumb' option? It's a very practical option. There should be clinics for it. Not having that option is the only 'dumb' part, leaving people to endure what could be inefficient, painful, messy ways of doing it that might not work and could leave them brain-damaged and completely dependent on others. The only selfish people are the christian fucks who sadistically enjoy the suffering of others (christianity being the inventor of S and M).
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

It would be a sign of civilization if there were suicide clinics that don't require a huge amount of formality to get the deed done. Given that the universe itself is so thoroughly indifferent any human that wishes to end it can't be wrong even though it may be wrong in the reasons for doing it. Animals don't have that option which consciousness grants to humans and in doing so, finds no objection to suicide that option being available.

This is what I hate. In order to maintain human life as sacred we also make it unbearable.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 am Do good people suicide or are they just cruel to the people that love them?
yes to the former.

bullshit to the latter.
attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 amAnthony Bourdain. one of my favourite Americans. Why FFS! I survived because I love my Mum too much.
he was a fookin celebrity!! - unless you are is brother, mom or best friend - he was no more than a celebrity to you either.

and so irrelivent to you personally - same as a bangi kid dying 30 yrs ago on the street of Dacca.

Bourdain smordaine - clearly you never had a best friend die on your ass for loosing the strength to keep on living! - so shove your celebrity ideation.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

indeed, you understand - and have had a friend now dead.

i can tell from your post.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:11 pm
Judaka wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 pm Do you think a miserable person who wants to commit suicide has a duty to live for those who love them?

How is it a 'dumb' option? It's a very practical option. There should be clinics for it. Not having that option is the only 'dumb' part, leaving people to endure what could be inefficient, painful, messy ways of doing it that might not work and could leave them brain-damaged and completely dependent on others. The only selfish people are the christian fucks who sadistically enjoy the suffering of others (christianity being the inventor of S and M).
I'd rather analyse it on a case-by-case basis but generally speaking, suicide is an overreaction caused by despair and hopelessness, not a well thought out and practical solution to suffering. Life is long and your problems aren't as long, even doing nothing would likely be a sufficient solution to most of life's problems compared to suicide. Naturally, most problems actually do have solutions - even extreme solutions - and that's preferable to suicide. I think that you might be focusing on more legitimate reasons why one might commit suicide and I am focusing on the more transient problems, we might find a lot of agreement if it was done case-by-case as I don't think my opinion is all that unreasonable.
vegetariantaxidermy

It's no one else's business. It's only 'taboo' in 'christian' culture anyway. In Japan it was considerable an honourable death.
I don't know why people get so affronted by it, as if it's a personal insult to themselves.