What could make morality objective?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RCSaunders

Re: What could make morality objective?

Post by RCSaunders »

Skip wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:17 pm Only, there are no individuals in nature.
Really. I'm assuming you mean by, "nature," everything except human beings. In fact a great many organism are solitary, especially some of the great cats. But it doesn't really matter since human values are not determine by what animals do.
Humans don't choose a way to live until after they've been taught how to live.
Well, speak for yourself. Most other human beings go on learning long after their initial teaching by parents and other authorities, and once they have discovered how to learn and think for themselves, their initial teaching is often completely rejected. Of course this will not be true if you never learn to think for yourself. Every successful human being makes his choices based on his own knowledge acquired by using his own mind, not on what some authorities have attempted to cram down their throats.

So long as you assume the business of politics concerns "social organization" i.e. social engineering, you are bound to hold these collectivist views. It's fine to hold such views as long as your honest about them.
A feral child has no concept of right and wrong: he just does whatever it takes to survive.
What is a feral child. Since all human beings must consciously choose what they do, and successful choice is not possible without knowledge, how does this imaginary "feral child" who "has no concept of right and wrong,"
know what to do to survive? He would not know whether it was right or wrong to jump off a building, or drink poisoned water, or set himself on fire.

Randy
Skip

Post by Skip »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:06 am []individuals in nature.]
Really. I'm assuming you mean by, "nature," everything except human beings.
Why? Were human beings fabricated off-world and dropped here? I was assuming evolution.
In fact a great many organism are solitary, especially some of the great cats.
In fact, the vast majority of solitary organisms have very little brains - insects and reptiles - or none at all - microbes.
After they reach maturity, and if female, only until giving birth. Until maturity, the mother, and sometimes older sibling(s) taught them how to live. https://www.fatherly.com/news/how-an-ac ... -her-cubs/ And humans not only have a very long maturing period, but are also intensely social, as a rule. Very few choose to be solitary; some become ill if long deprived of contact with other people.
But it doesn't really matter since human values are not determine by what animals do.
Then by what? We are animals: we need to breathe, drink and eat, fight/flee/hide for safety, find shelter, find mates, and most importantly, co-operate with other human beings for mutual protection and security. It is this need which makes a commonly-held code of conduct necessary.
[Humans don't choose a way to live until after they've been taught how to live. ]
Well, speak for yourself.
For myself, I could not have survived without first learning the communication, interpersonal and life skills, information and work skills I needed for the world in which I was expected to operate. For myself, I've never met anyone who sprang full-grown from a god's forehead.
Most other human beings go on learning long after their initial teaching by parents
Of course. I didn't say learning ends at maturity; I said independent choice cannot begin until they're able to fend for themselves. By then, much learning has already taken place, over the content and slant of which the child had no control.
and other authorities,
Those don't all go away when you finish school. There are legal systems and employers, at least; for a ridiculous number of people, the authority of a 'spiritual leader' is still very strong; then there are the entrenched hierarchies of social and political rank.
once they have discovered how to learn and think for themselves,
What percent even try? Nobody succeeds 100%: we are products of our culture and our times, and weirdly prey to illusions and delusions.
Of course this will not be true if you never learn to think for yourself. Every successful human being makes his choices based on his own knowledge acquired by using his own mind, not on what some authorities have attempted to cram down their throats.
Successful at what? By whose standard?
So long as you assume the business of politics concerns "social organization" i.e. social engineering,
I don't know what you mean by "social engineering" but I'm suspicious of the phrase, because it's generally used in a negative - but unexplained - sense. Social organization is not synonymous with social engineering, in any sense. It means exactly that: the organization of individual members of a species into a functional social unit.
you are bound to hold these collectivist views.
Oh. I see. These collectivist views. I've been labelled.
What is a feral child.
That's a human child who was abandoned or orphaned very early in life - they may have acquired language, but with nobody to talk to, lose it again, and have no understanding of how to relate to others of their kind. A wild youngster, who didn't choose this life.
Since all human beings must consciously choose what they do,
Choose from among what? The menu is always finite; for the majority of people, it's limited by all kinds of factors; for many it is very limited.
and successful choice is not possible without knowledge,
There is that word again. Successful. A subjective but undefined value-judgment. But of course, everyone has knowledge - it's just not all the same quality or amount or applicability for all the people all the time.
how does this imaginary "feral child" who "has no concept of right and wrong,"know what to do to survive?
Kill something. Eat it. Something wants to kill you, run and hide. No ethics; just pragmatics.
He would not know whether it was right or wrong to jump off a building, or drink poisoned water, or set himself on fire.
Fortunately, as in most human lives, the choices are more limited than this. He has no buildings, only trees. The water isn't poisoned, because there are no buildings and he's never learned about poison; he very likely doesn't even have fire. What kind of instincts do you think animals have that would prompt them to do such things, anyway?
And what has self-destructive stupidity to do with morals?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:20 pm Thanks for the comments Skip. I have one minor difference with this:
Skip wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:54 pm So, you can say that the need for some standard of social behaviour is necessary.
I think regarding moral principles as social in nature is a mistake. Moral principles only pertain to individuals and how they choose to live. That will necessarily determine how they relate to others, but the philosophical field that deals with human relations in a society is politics, not ethics (or morality).

Randy
If morality is not social in nature then Robinson Crusoe as individual, if Man Friday , island wildlife, and all hope of rescue were non-existent, would have no cause to retain moral principles except as ingrained habit of thought.

A child cannot be reared in a cultural vacuum. A man never exists in a cultural vacuum, or if he is cruelly thrust into a cultural vacuum he will go mad and die.

To put it another way, morality is some sort of human behaviour such that men in societies can live together in that society.

Politics is not political philosophy, although moral philosophy and political philosophy have many common interests, such as the study of human nature and the human sciences.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skip wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 am And what has self-destructive stupidity to do with morals?
It has everything to do with morals. Living immorally is immoral precisely because it is living a stupid self-destructive life.

Randy
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 am If morality is not social in nature then Robinson Crusoe as individual, if Man Friday , island wildlife, and all hope of rescue were non-existent, would have no cause to retain moral principles except as ingrained habit of thought.
Moral principles are those we need to know how to live, and live successfully and happily in this world. The world we live in has a particular nature and human beings have a particular nature and all our behavior must conform to the requirements of those natures if we are not to suffer and die. It is on a desert Island that one would need moral principles most.

Before on can even consider how individuals ought to relate to one another in a society, the principles of how individuals must live must first be understood. It is not possible to know what is good for society until one knows what is good for the individuals that make up that society.

Randy
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote:
It is not possible to know what is good for society until one knows what is good for the individuals that make up that society.
But a society is an organised group of individuals. What is good for a specific individual in that group is very much what he has in common with the other individuals. He together with all of them need food, shelter, and clothing. He, and the rest of them may need to protect communal property such as field or township boundaries within which labour has been invested by each individual.

Nearly always what is good for a human individual is being able to call upon the cooperation of others in his in-group, family, or tribe.

In short, what is good for society is to various degrees also good for the individual.

Do you consider it possible that a human might be an individual without a society(read family, tribe, associates, colleagues, and so on) for any appreciable time and survive?
Skip

Post by Skip »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:28 pm
Skip wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 am And what has self-destructive stupidity to do with morals?
It has everything to do with morals. Living immorally is immoral precisely because it is living a stupid self-destructive life.

Randy
Ah! A fine, complete circle, not unlike :Living as God intended is living morally because that's what God intended.

If the objective of morality is survival, then morality is totally redundant.
The humblest fungi attained the highest state of virtue billions of years before man was a gleam in the man-ufacturer's eye.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Skip wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:28 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Randy
Ah! A fine, complete circle, not unlike :Living as God intended is living morally because that's what God intended.

The humblest fungi attained the highest state of virtue billions of years before man was a gleam in the man-ufacturer's eye.
That's a simple counter-refutation.

For a human, life is more than survival.

Life is living it up.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skip wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:28 pm
The objective of morality is not survival. The objective of morality is living successfully and happily as a human being, achieving and being all one can possibly be, because nothing else will make a human being happy.

Randy
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Walker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Life is living it up.
Exactly, except that it is much more than, "living it up." I would say, similarly to what I wrote to Skip, "The objective of morality is living successfully and happily as a human being, enjoying achieving and being all one can possibly achieve and be, because nothing else will make a human being happy."

"Living it up," sounds a bit short-sighted and hedonistic to me. I don't think that is what you meant.

Randy
Skip

Post by Skip »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:55 pm The objective of morality is not survival.
And yet, in previous post, you said
He would not know whether it was right or wrong to jump off a building, or drink poisoned water, or set himself on fire.
Those are matters of survival, which you conflated with right and wrong. Then you said pragmatic self-preservation
has everything to do with morals. Living immorally is immoral precisely because it is living a stupid self-destructive life.
So now, you change it from survival to personal success and happiness
living successfully and happily as a human being,
two value-judgments and one state of existence that have not been defined, let alone explained in the context of reality.
achieving and being all one can possibly be
All? I suppose one can possibly be a successful mass murderer, but not a successful policeman; a star skater, but not the goalie of a winning NHL team, because team effort requires interpersonal relations, and the morality of self-fulfillment doesn't cover those.
I guess then the prime virtue is selfishness.
If the fungi hadn't got morals down pat, the broadnose sevengill shark has - all but the "as a human being" part. Maybe these people get it
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/601 ... nd_of_Time
Which hardly requires a whole branch of philosophy.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skip wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:45 pm So now, you change it from survival to personal success and happiness
What I wrote was, "The objective of morality is not survival. The objective of morality is living successfully and happily as a human being, achieving and being all one can possibly be, because nothing else will make a human being happy."

Perhaps I should have written, the objective of morality is not survival alone. It should be obvious if one is to live successfully as a human being, they must survive.

You quoted me,
achieving and being all one can possibly be
then wrote,
All? I suppose one can possibly be a successful mass murderer, ...
Do you really regard being a murderer as a virtue to achieve consistent with human nature? I regard it as despicable precisely because it is a defiance of the requirements of human nature.

Randy
Skip

Post by Skip »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:30 pm Do you really regard being a murderer as a virtue to achieve consistent with human nature?
No, but then "human nature" is yet another new undefined concept you've suddenly conjured into the mix. I can have no idea what-all you consider consistent with a uniquely human attribute that you previously separated from the rest of nature.
Anyway, I have a completely different definition of morality and a totally different notion of its objective, so my opinion regarding any one item on the possible list of rights and wrongs is irrelevant.
If the moral thing to do achieve the maximum capability and happiness of a human being, then it must logically include all the various aspirations that human beings have. Since mass murderers are undeniably* human ...
...* well, no; people do deny it and call them "animals", and the innocent animals have no recourse against this defamation.
I regard it as despicable precisely because it is a defiance of the requirements of human nature.
Now human nature has requirements? Yet another undefined term... What are we up to now? Five or six undefined but crucial terms that you've introduced?
If killing other people makes a solitary individual happy and he attains the very top skill level, wouldn't that meet the earlier criteria?
The "requirements" of human nature are even more mysterious than "human nature" itself.
So then, morality is whatever you regard as appropriate.
That seems even more subjective and arbitrary than the God hypothesis.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

The phrase "objective of morality" . I take it that RC Saunders and Skip intend by that phrase that morality is a necessary function of any society. Would RC and Skip please comment on morality as a necessary structural component of society.
Walker

Post by Walker »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:03 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Life is living it up.
Exactly, except that it is much more than, "living it up." I would say, similarly to what I wrote to Skip, "The objective of morality is living successfully and happily as a human being, enjoying achieving and being all one can possibly achieve and be, because nothing else will make a human being happy."

"Living it up," sounds a bit short-sighted and hedonistic to me. I don't think that is what you meant.

Randy
I completely understand your point. And in the spirit of amplification, my statement was only a partial tongue-in-cheek, and chosen for the catchiness of the phrase in placing attention upon the principle.

Consider the baseline … which is a human in nature, outside of society, stripped bare of the survival essentials provided in society: food, shelter, and clothing.

Anything over and above that baseline is living it up, that is, turning circumstances to advantage, no matter what they may be. For instance: a blanket, a cup of soup, a warm bed, or stacking river rocks into chairs and tables around a modest campfire.

As Skip demonstrates with the fungi reference, such a stark baseline of being stripped of all that society offers is necessary when examining principles and alternatives. The complexity of human shading, nuance, and qualifications that round out practical life then follow.

The point is: living it up is defined by one’s means and values. No matter the mileau, the human tendency is to live it up. The impetus for any physical movement is towards pleasure and away from suffering when one’s identity is rooted in the body. Pleasure is personally defined, and this includes the pleasures of altruism. Admitting this to oneself is a step in realizing the equanimity which underlies all experience.

Equanimity is the stillness around which any experience turns, no matter the pleasure or suffering assigned to the experience by conditioning.

This of course gives rise to the question, is there a specific experience that is inherently pleasurable, and of course the answer to this is yes because life is the measure and specific physical pleasures are universal to humans.