What could make morality objective?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: What could make morality objective?

Post by Age »

Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm It can be a fact - a feature of reality - that a rule has a causal effect. And that a rule exists and people obey it can be a fact. And objectivity is about facts.

But to say a rule - a command - is or asserts a fact is a category error.
Have I said that 'a rule' is or asserts 'a fact'?

If yes, then WHERE?

But if no, then this has absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with what I SAID and SHOWED.
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm It's like saying that, because people believe something, what they believe is a fact. For example: it's a fact that many benighted people believe there are gods; therefore, there are gods. (This is absurd.)
LOL Talk about providing a great example of one expressing what they BELIEVE to be true as though it is a fact.

But, just because you believe some thing "peter holmes" this does NOT make it a fact.
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm An imperative has no truth-value. The command 'go away' is neither true nor false.
You seem to be MISSING the whole point here.

And the way you respond now, or do not respond, will SHOW just how OPEN and READY you are to LEARNING MORE, or NOT.
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm And obedience to it doesn't make it true, just as disobedience doesn't make it false. The prediction that people will go away can turn out to be true or false, but that doesn't make the command true or false. (I wonder why this needs explaining.)
It does NOT 'need' explaining.

And, the fact that what you think you are explaining here has absolutely ANY thing to do with what I was POINTING OUT and SHOWING, REVEALS just how OUT OF TUNE you REALLY ARE here.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:57 pm
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm It can be a fact - a feature of reality - that a rule has a causal effect. And that a rule exists and people obey it can be a fact. And objectivity is about facts.

If yes, then WHERE?

But if no, then this has absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with what I SAID and SHOWED.
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm It's like saying that, because people believe something, what they believe is a fact. For example: it's a fact that many benighted people believe there are gods; therefore, there are gods. (This is absurd.)
LOL Talk about providing a great example of one expressing what they BELIEVE to be true as though it is a fact.

But, just because you believe some thing "peter holmes" this does NOT make it a fact.
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm An imperative has no truth-value. The command 'go away' is neither true nor false.

And the way you respond now, or do not respond, will SHOW just how OPEN and READY you are to LEARNING MORE, or NOT.
Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm And obedience to it doesn't make it true, just as disobedience doesn't make it false. The prediction that people will go away can turn out to be true or false, but that doesn't make the command true or false. (I wonder why this needs explaining.)

And, the fact that what you think you are explaining here has absolutely ANY thing to do with what I was POINTING OUT and SHOWING, REVEALS just how OUT OF TUNE you REALLY ARE here.
I wasn't responding to what you said.

Post by Age »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:56 pm

If yes, then WHERE?

In a way you were.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:13 am

If yes, then WHERE?

In a way you were.
No. I never understand what you're on about, and I hate your use of block caps - so I've given up reading your comments. Sorry. May have been correlation/not causation.

Post by Age »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:41 am
In a way you were.
No. I never understand what you're on about, and I hate your use of block caps - so I've given up reading your comments. Sorry. May have been correlation/not causation.
"NEVER", LOL.

What 'you' HATE does NOT matter here.

And, you, supposedly, gave up reading my comments BECAUSE I have ALREADY PROVED EXACTLY HOW 'morality' can be and IS objective. Which goes COMPLETELY AGAINST what you BELIEVE is true.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Age wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:22 pm

In a way you were.
"NEVER", LOL.

And, you, supposedly, gave up reading my comments BECAUSE I have ALREADY PROVED EXACTLY HOW 'morality' can be and IS objective. Which goes COMPLETELY AGAINST what you BELIEVE is true.
Perhaps I missed it. Sorry. Please complete the following sentence:

Morality is objective because...

(Maybe I'll get it this time.)

Post by Age »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:11 pm
"NEVER", LOL.

HOW can you have, supposedly, 'given up reading my comments' BUT THEN respond to them?

Morality IS 'objective' in the EXACT SAME WAY that EVERY thing else, which IS 'objective', IS 'objective'.

Now, if one wants to LEARN and UNDERSTAND HOW to FIND 'objectivity', itself, then one has to, at least, NOT BELIEVE that 'objectivity' is IMPOSSIBLE.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Age wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:53 am

"NEVER", LOL.

HOW can you have, supposedly, 'given up reading my comments' BUT THEN respond to them?

Morality IS 'objective' in the EXACT SAME WAY that EVERY thing else, which IS 'objective', IS 'objective'.

Now, if one wants to LEARN and UNDERSTAND HOW to FIND 'objectivity', itself, then one has to, at least, NOT BELIEVE that 'objectivity' is IMPOSSIBLE.
So, this is the best you can do:

Morality is objective in the exact same way that everything else which is objective is objective.

I'm blinded by the light.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night?

Post by Age »

Peter Holmes wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:31 pm

Morality is objective in the exact same way that everything else which is objective is objective.

But I have OBVIOUSLY NOT REVEALED ANY thing of ANY REAL substance here YET. And this is just BECAUSE NO one has shown ANY REAL INTEREST here YET.

Also, I will suggest that you are ACTUALLY BLINDED by your OWN BELIEFS.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:35 am

But I have OBVIOUSLY NOT REVEALED ANY thing of ANY REAL substance here YET. And this is just BECAUSE NO one has shown ANY REAL INTEREST here YET.

Waste of time. Nothing to see here.

Post by Age »

Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:03 am

NO one has asked for ANY thing. So, OBVIOUSLY, there is NOTHING to see here.

But this still does NOT take away the Fact of what 'it' is EXACTLY that makes 'morality' OBJECTIVE.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:25 am

But this still does NOT take away the Fact of what 'it' is EXACTLY that makes 'morality' OBJECTIVE.
Okay. Try again.

'Morality is objective because ...'

Or you can carry on coat-trailing - as if anyone gives a toss.

Post by Age »

Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 pm

Okay. Try again.
Stop lying.
Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 pm 'Morality is objective because ...'
There is NO use, with you, as you are completely and utterly BLIND and DEAF, due to your ABSOLUTE BELIEF here.
Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 pm Or you can carry on coat-trailing - as if anyone gives a toss.
And you can carry on BELIEVING things to be ABSOLUTELY true, as you do here. But just be forewarned, NO one really cares and you WILL BE BLINDED by such, ILLOGICAL and UNSUPPORTED, BELIEFS. As you CLEARLY ARE here.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:40 pm
Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 pm

Okay. Try again.
Stop lying.
Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 pm 'Morality is objective because ...'
There is NO use, with you, as you are completely and utterly BLIND and DEAF, due to your ABSOLUTE BELIEF here.
Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:59 pm Or you can carry on coat-trailing - as if anyone gives a toss.
And you can carry on BELIEVING things to be ABSOLUTELY true, as you do here. But just be forewarned, NO one really cares and you WILL BE BLINDED by such, ILLOGICAL and UNSUPPORTED, BELIEFS. As you CLEARLY ARE here.
I have no idea what absolute truth is, or what distinction the word absolute makes. A truth-claim is always contextual and conventional.

You claim to know what makes morality objective, so you claim that there are moral facts, independent from opinion. Why not produce one example? That would end the discussion.