The most important Rights of Man

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

There's a difference: Mannie's god (mebbe) gets you in the afterlfe; the marxists defintely want you right now.
henry quirk

and Crom? Crom doesn't give a flip now or after

Post by henry quirk »

:|
Immanuel Can

Re:

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 am There's a difference: Mannie's god (mebbe) gets you in the afterlfe; the marxists defintely want you right now.
If we accept the supposition (for argument's sake) that God exists, then autonomy of the will would necessarily be His invention.

The Marxists...they're not so keen on that. They prefer indoctrination, group-think, re-education camps, gulags -- and should those fail, the killing fields.
Arising_uk

Re: The most important Rights of Man

Post by Arising_uk »

Even funnier as if I remember my Bible Mr can and his 'God' will also be coming to kill billions of us who don't want to follow 'its' authority and live in 'its' 'utopia' and then appoint elite overseers to rule of what's left of us with a 'rod of iron'.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, if Mannie's god wants to go to war, then we'll war. At the moment, however, Mannie's god seem content leavin' me to my own devices.

If Mannie, in service to his god, wants to go to war, then we'll war. At the moment, however, he seems content leavin' me to my own devices.

The commies, the marxists, the communitarians, the progressives, these folks seem unwilling to leave me be. They've declared war. I'm happy to oblige them.

In short: Jehovah and Mannie ain't the ones ridin' my ass.
Immanuel Can

Re:

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:53 pm
If Mannie, in service to his god, wants to go to war, then we'll war. At the moment, however, he seems content leavin' me to my own devices.
I'm neither Inquistor nor Jihadi. Those are alien practices to me, and don't reconcile with my worldview. I'm a Lockean classical liberal when it comes to leaving you to your own devices, Henry, and a firm proponent of your absolute right to freedom of conscience.

So right you are.

Now, I wouldn't say I won't ever try to persuade anybody that their genuine interests lie in the direction of considering rather than ignoring God; :wink: because I happen to believe quite genuinely that that is true, and it would be rather callous of me to say nothing if that's what I really thought. But you can count on me being 100% against compulsion.

Religious wars are somebody else's problem, not mine.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Except at the end IC's 'God' will be slaughtering with the best of them and presumably he'd have no problem with this.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Except at the end IC's 'God' will be slaughtering with the best of them and presumably he'd have no problem with this."

Thing is (and no offense, Mannie): Jehovah (probably) isn't real.

The motherfuckers who'd hobble me are most definitely real.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

philosopher wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:01 pm Do you agree with me in saying that the right to inactivity is the most important right of all rights?

Examples of this could be the right to refuse conscription - wether it be military as well as alternative service.

Summed and generalized I would say:

The state should never enforce any obligation to participate in any particular activity - no matter what!

Examples of obligation to participate in a particular activity includes:

Work duty (if you do not work you're punished, ie. by imprisonment).
Conscription (if you do not become conscript you're punished, ie. by imprisonment).
Jury Duty (if you do not become a jury when selected, you're punished, ie. by imprisonment).

I say all of the above are ethically immoral, wrong and should be banned!
Natural Law rights of men would be primary.

of those three - the right not to be killed by other men (*right to be alive" - outside of nature's right to allow you starve, have a heart attack/etc..) would be the Primary Right of all living beings in the present moment.