The Status of Ethics Today

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: The Status of Ethics Today

Post by -1- »

prof wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:37 am
-1- wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:19 pm
prof wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:36 pm
The Truth is that Individual human life is valuable, takes top priority. Things next, and ideas (and ideologies) last !!!!!

Ethics must be lived, put into practice.

So set a good example, folks.
you decry the value of ideas by working to enforce an idea.

Not very philosophical, but hey.
A very-deep thinker and a profound philosopher, Robert S. Hartman, discovered the Hierarchy of Value. It indicates that Life (which includes Experience) is more important to you than your perceptions; and that your perceptions outrank your conceptions in importance. By "experience" is meant the integration of your perceptions and conceptions into your life as lived.

Yes, he employed a system to put systems in their place, as ranking lower in a Quality Life than other values. This is paradoxical, yes. But background reading would sure help you understand. See: https://www.hartmaninstitute.org/self-k ... aluations/

Look Dr. Hartman up in Wiki. Also look up "Science of Value." Be careful not to ridicule concepts before you have the background to do so meaningfully!

Comments? Questions?
I was not ridiculing the concept. I merely pointed out the philosophical flaw in it. That is not ridicule.

And I understand the concept as presented all right. It is not rocket science. A five-year-old child can understand it. If someone points out that it's flawed, then you must not assume the person is stupid. After all, you, yourself, agreed it's paradoxical. And that was the FULL extent of my criticism of your thesis.