Teleology and Life Goals

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

wisdomlover

Teleology and Life Goals

Post by wisdomlover »

I find it meaningful to think that an important goal is to “be myself” or to “fulfill my nature”. That sounds a lot like what used to be called teleology.

Yet I also believe that I and all life arose as the result of natural processes without direction by a cosmic intelligence. I don't think I’m here to fulfill someone else’s purpose.

Are these compatible? Is there such a thing as discovering and living up to your potential? Or your “real” or “true” potential? -- because we all have the potential to do all kinds of things: overdose on drugs, commit mass murder, and so on. A resolution of this problem would have to deal satisfactorily with that issue.

Do we just adopt or create purposes as we wish, and pursue them, or is there such a thing as finding our purpose?
Lacewing

Re: Teleology and Life Goals

Post by Lacewing »

wisdomlover wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:30 pm Do we just adopt or create purposes as we wish, and pursue them, or is there such a thing as finding our purpose?
I think it's a combination of expressing and exploring creative potential by coming into this life in a physical form... while also on the wings/currents of spirit. :) Something about the "spirit" knows more (I think) than the physical manifestation... so the physical form might feel pulled or driven to accomplish/do things beyond its "view". But there is no precise agenda or directive for it to do so. It's just in the realm of possibility! That's my GUESS!

I've never felt that there was anything for me to fulfill beyond authentically treasuring this life/experience and loving as much as I can. That vibration has felt more real than anything played out on the stage of the material world. It just hasn't made sense (to me) that the cosmic web has rules/demands/agendas for us. Therefore, it's not about what we DO... rather, (I think) it's about how we vibrate. The vibration inspires/drives the doing.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

I'm not sure why anyone thinks I would have any greater purpose in life if a God created me. How would that work? What if God wanted me to be a violin player and I wanted to play the harmonica instead?

I think the whole question about the purpose of life simply involves what we value. If we see ourselves doing something that we think of as valuable, then we think our lives are meaningful. I don't see the topic as any broader than that.
wisdomlover

Post by wisdomlover »

These two replies are like the yin and the yang! How awesome!

Lacewing, what comes to mind when I read your post is the idea of the Tao. There is no god or cosmic anything in Taoism, the Tao is the Way or Path. I think if Lao Tsu had known about vibration, he may have considered the Tao to be the Vibration of the Universe. The meaning of life is just to follow the path and live in tune with the vibration.

Science Fan, I totally agree. I refuse to accept someone else (even if he is called god) presuming to give me a purpose. It seems pretty straightforwardly true that "if we see ourselves doing something that's valuable, then we think our lives are meaningful."

I was probably a bit remiss in not connecting my initial post better to Ethical Theory. I want to pursue what the ancient philosophers called "The Good". I want what I value to be what is truly valuable, not just something I picked out of a hat.

I reject the Kantian imperative and G. E. Moore's non-naturalism -- what our "conscience" tells us is right and wrong is just a function of memory and conditioning. I also disagree with the utilitarian view that happiness is the goal to be valued. I inclined to some version of Stoicism, except that the teleological overtones bother me.