Basic questions of the moral life

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Basic questions of the moral life

Post by thedoc »

Read it, so much BullShit, the "Realist-Idealist" does not exist he is just an idealist, who wants to make everyone else behave like he does, in disguise.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"a super-intelligence module"

Yeah, sounds like an artificial conscience to me, a little niggling voice (not my own) poking and prodding and pushing. And who programs this module, Prof?

Who's voice will live in my head?

No thanks.

I'm a most zealous gatekeeper, Prof. My head belongs to me.
prof

Post by prof »

I agree with you, Henry. I wouldn't waqnt an implant in my head either.

Yet I am happy to hear about the development of a computer that learns, one that keeps improving on its own original programming to become ever-more intelligent. Because then it will eventually arrive at the same conclusions as the Hartman/Katz Ethical Theory. :wink:

The academic notables, and the powers-that-be, and the proxies you have volunteered to step up, may consult this Watson type computer, asking it to solve major human problems. And that could be helpful. The leader-of-the-free-world is quite incompetent when it comes to leadership.

I agree with you that, ideally, everyone should be his own leader. The first paper I ever published was on the topic of self-management (i.e., self leadership.)
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"I agree with you, Henry. I wouldn't want an implant in my head either."

I guess I misunderstood you then, cuz that's what I thought you were advocating with that 'super-intelligent module'.

Lots of folks -- the transhumanist crowd -- promote such things.

#

"consulting this Watson type computer"

I'll pass on machine advice...seems to me reasoning creatures and rational pseudo-creatures aren't compatible.

Simply: Gort needs to butt out.
prof

Post by prof »

Walker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:01 am
prof wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:50 am How can we attain widespread prosperity?
Vote for Trump. :wink:
In case you are not kidding about being a Trump supporter, here is another perspective to consider:

See: https://hightowerlowdown.org/podcast/ex ... plutocrat/

and see: https://hightowerlowdown.org/podcast/am ... ashington/

This is a good study in Political Philosophy. The latter has some relevance to ethical theory.

Furthermore, the Chief Executive in the White House is only a symptom - of a sick society. Here is what goes on behind the scenes, quietly, to finance it all. This link offers an analysis of the concept "the Common Good." The motto of the United States is: E Pluribus Unum ....out of the many, one. A coup has taken place. The social structure is being destroyed. Check out these facts: https://hightowerlowdown.org/article/ko ... mmon-good/

Comments?
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

I think the simple answer to all questions of moral life is that we live a moral and not immoral life, we do the right thing in life. Right will bring right our way and then we have everything right in our life. Right means looking into the situation and then doing the right thing. Jesus', "Turning the other cheek," meaning don't slap back no matter what, the reason being that the slap if it came, came justified, so a slap back will only invite more slaps in the future because consequence is according to action, so Jesus said get working(mistake free and vice free and wickedness free work) and that will stall the slaps of life coming our way. This is why, "Work is worship," the only prayer to do. Why work helps, because empty mind or lazy mind makes us make mistakes or have vices or be wicked, so then not keeping an empty mind nor keeping a lazy mind, but working instead resolves issues, helps us, lessens the slaps of life, answers prayers.
prof

Post by prof »

Beauty wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:23 am ... simple answer to ... questions of moral life is: live a moral ... life, do the right thing in life. ...means looking into the situation.

[If life slaps you],don't slap back no matter what....a slap back will only invite more slaps in the future ... get working... work helps, because empty mind or lazy mind [which] makes us make mistakes, or have vices ... working instead resolves issues, helps us, lessens the slaps of life.
I agree with this. Find a way to work together, to cooperate.

Right on, Beauty!