~ Where Do You Find Meaning in Your Suffering? ~

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

creativesoul

Re: ~ Where Do You Find Meaning in Your Suffering? ~

Post by creativesoul »

ken wrote:
Greta wrote:
creativesoul wrote:The OP asks a nonsensical question. Meaning isn't the sort of thing that is found in a spatiotemporal location. Thus, asking "where" one finds meaning is gibberish. It is prima facie evidence that the speaker is using an emaciated conceptual framework(or they've no clue, or both). All meaning is attributed. It is a direct result of and therefore reflects all the current and past connections, associations, and/or correlations drawn between 'objects' of physiological sensory perception and/or oneself(emotional attitude/state of mind).

Dig in Bill...

:mrgreen:
It can be looked at in that way. However, reading between the lines, it's clear that Bill wants to talk about how we are shaped by our suffering, and how we learn from it.
It is amazing how we each can see completely different things in the exact same written words. What you say "is clear", was in fact NOT clear at all to me, until just now...

It is more helpful to avoid talking in terms of "seeing" when we're actually talking about meaningful translation(s). Greta's take wasn't clear to me either until Greta made it clear by virtue of sharing her conclusion. I'm wondering if Bill agrees with her...
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

Mistake...
Last edited by creativesoul on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

Mistake...
Last edited by creativesoul on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:
Meaning in your suffering.
Apples are in apple pies. The United States are in the Northern Hemisphere. There is water in a toilet. Characters are in a story. Words in a book. There's color in my screen. Trees in my yard. A house in the confines of my property. Several restaurants in my city. All of these examples are readily understood. In each case whatever we're saying is in something, it is also the case that that something also consists of other things besides that which we're claiming is in it. Apple pies consist of more than just apples. The same is true of the Northern Hemisphere, and all the rest of the examples above. So...

If we are to say that meaning is in suffering in the same sense as all these other things are in something, then suffering must consist of more than just meaning. Some others have already skirted around this a bit. Particularly, a poster here mentioned the aspect of many types of suffering involving physical pain. So, it's clear that some examples of suffering consist of more than just meaning.

Meaning is attributed by virtue of drawing correlations, connections, and/or associations between 'objects' of physiological sensory perception and/or oneself(as mentioned earlier). Working from there: In order to make sense of the utterance "Meaning in your suffering", we would need to set out exactly what counts as suffering.
Greta

Post by Greta »

creativesoul wrote:
ken wrote:
Greta wrote: It can be looked at in that way. However, reading between the lines, it's clear that Bill wants to talk about how we are shaped by our suffering, and how we learn from it.
It is amazing how we each can see completely different things in the exact same written words. What you say "is clear", was in fact NOT clear at all to me, until just now...

It is more helpful to avoid talking in terms of "seeing" when we're actually talking about meaningful translation(s). Greta's take wasn't clear to me either until Greta made it clear by virtue of sharing her conclusion. I'm wondering if Bill agrees with her...
If a post is ambiguous I assume that the other is at least aiming to make a valid observation. There is a lot of mistrust online, with people regularly assuming others to be hopeless loonies, yet in real life I notice that people seem nowhere near as hopeless or loony as they are often interpreted to be in print. If so, most wouldn't be able to tie their shoelaces or pay bills. So I assume consider the possible interpretations and first opt for a positive spin.
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

Terrapin Station wrote:
creativesoul wrote:The OP asks a nonsensical question. Meaning isn't the sort of thing that is found in a spatiotemporal location.
Not that I think he's asking for a spatio-temporal location, but I sure don't agree with "meaning isn't the sort of thing that is found in a spatio-temporal location." Meaning is a brain phenomenon, and as such has a spatio-temporal location. On my view, there are no existents that do not have a spatio-temporal location. The idea of that is incoherent on my view.
You've greatly diminished the options available to you...

The idea that a mental correlation has "a" spatiotemporal location is flat out wrong. Meaning consists entirely of mental correlations. As does thought/belief. Truth is presupposed and begins emergence therein. Meaning exists. Thought exists. Belief exists. Mental correlations exist. Truth(correspondence) exists. All of these things except truth require something to be a symbol, something to become symbolized, and an agent capable of associating, correlating and/or connecting the two. Recognizing and/or attributing a casual relationship is one such example of mental correlation in action. Learning that fire hurts when touched is a more specific example. The association(s), correlation(s), and/or connection(s) is(are) drawn between symbol and symbolized. Those things are necessarily required in order to even be able to associate, correlate, and/or connect them. They do not have "a" - as in single - spatiotemporal location. They have multiple... simultaneously. The agent adds yet another. All of those things are necessary for meaning. Where those things are not, meaning cannot be either.

A brain is necessary but insufficient for meaning. Meaning requires a plurality of external physical existents. The brain is but one.
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

Greta wrote: If a post is ambiguous I assume that the other is at least aiming to make a valid observation. There is a lot of mistrust online, with people regularly assuming others to be hopeless loonies, yet in real life I notice that people seem nowhere near as hopeless or loony as they are often interpreted to be in print. If so, most wouldn't be able to tie their shoelaces or pay bills. So I assume consider the possible interpretations and first opt for a positive spin.
A nice example of charitable reading in action...
Greta

Post by Greta »

creativesoul wrote:
Greta wrote: If a post is ambiguous I assume that the other is at least aiming to make a valid observation. There is a lot of mistrust online, with people regularly assuming others to be hopeless loonies, yet in real life I notice that people seem nowhere near as hopeless or loony as they are often interpreted to be in print. If so, most wouldn't be able to tie their shoelaces or pay bills. So I assume consider the possible interpretations and first opt for a positive spin.
A nice example of charitable reading in action...
It's more true than charitable IMO. Most people I encounter seem to mean well and just want a nice life, and don't seem especially crazed. I used to assume that people were all kinds of crazy online (the law of averages says that a minority must be) but gradually the penny dropped.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

creativesoul wrote:You've greatly diminished the options available to you...

The idea that a mental correlation has "a" spatiotemporal location is flat out wrong. Meaning consists entirely of mental correlations. As does thought/belief. Truth is presupposed and begins emergence therein. Meaning exists. Thought exists. Belief exists. Mental correlations exist. Truth(correspondence) exists. All of these things except truth require something to be a symbol, something to become symbolized, and an agent capable of associating, correlating and/or connecting the two. Recognizing and/or attributing a casual relationship is one such example of mental correlation in action. Learning that fire hurts when touched is a more specific example. The association(s), correlation(s), and/or connection(s) is(are) drawn between symbol and symbolized. Those things are necessarily required in order to even be able to associate, correlate, and/or connect them. They do not have "a" - as in single - spatiotemporal location. They have multiple... simultaneously. The agent adds yet another. All of those things are necessary for meaning. Where those things are not, meaning cannot be either.

A brain is necessary but insufficient for meaning. Meaning requires a plurality of external physical existents. The brain is but one.
You're conflating what meaning is about, what meaning is in response to, and meaning itself, which is a brain state. (Plus you're going off on long explanations about what meaning, truth, etc. are functionally in your view, which has nothing to do with arguing about whether it has a location.)

You also seem to maybe be creating a straw man a la if we say that something has "a location," we must be saying that it's a (mathematical) "point" and not something like "The location of Kansas is south of Nebraska, west of Missouri, north of Oklahoma and east of Colorado," or "The location of Kansas is the area that falls inside the rectangle defined by <<the latitude and longitude of its four corners>>." (Where, of course, defining non-rectangular states in a similar way would be more complicated, but not impossible.) Those are locations. Parsing it as if it must refer to a mathematical point is a straw man.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.Image

ken

Post by ken »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

.Image

Is that an unambiguous fact, which can not be disputed?

If so, then why put it here?

If not, then why put it here?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

ANYTHING that can be verbalized,or intellectualized, can be disputed.

That is the nature of the intellectual function.

The intellect works within a maze of opposites.

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

creativesoul wrote:
Bill Wiltrack wrote:
Meaning in your suffering.
Apples are in apple pies. The United States are in the Northern Hemisphere. There is water in a toilet. Characters are in a story. Words in a book. There's color in my screen. Trees in my yard. A house in the confines of my property. Several restaurants in my city. All of these examples are readily understood. In each case whatever we're saying is in something, it is also the case that that something also consists of other things besides that which we're claiming is in it. Apple pies consist of more than just apples. The same is true of the Northern Hemisphere, and all the rest of the examples above. So...

If we are to say that meaning is in suffering in the same sense as all these other things are in something, then suffering must consist of more than just meaning. Some others have already skirted around this a bit. Particularly, a poster here mentioned the aspect of many types of suffering involving physical pain. So, it's clear that some examples of suffering consist of more than just meaning.

Meaning is attributed by virtue of drawing correlations, connections, and/or associations between 'objects' of physiological sensory perception and/or oneself(as mentioned earlier). Working from there: In order to make sense of the utterance "Meaning in your suffering", we would need to set out exactly what counts as suffering.
Actually meaning can imply a creator, as first and foremost it's definition is, "what is intended to be."
creativesoul

Post by creativesoul »

creativesoul:

You've greatly diminished the options available to you...

Terrapin Station:

You're conflating what meaning is about, what meaning is in response to, and meaning itself, which is a brain state.
With appropriate respect Terrapin...

You've no idea what you're talking about. Meaning is - most certainly - not a brain state. Let us look to relevant facts...

A commonly shared observation:Hearing a single utterance can change the brain state of the listener. The same holds good for reading. Those changes couldn't possibly take place if it were the case that meaning itself was a brain state. But they do. Brain states would be causing brain states. The same meaningful statement would necessarily presuppose the same brain state in every utterer and/or reader. But they don't. Thus, meaning cannot be a brain state.

Furthermore...

That observation is adequate evidence for saying that sometimes thought, belief, and utterances thereof have efficacy. Utterances are chock full of meaning. Meaning is a part of what caused the change in brain states. Meaning helped stoke it. We can see this happen to others. These states of affairs involve events that can be readily observed, and thus the facts clearly allow us to know that certain utterances get certain peoples' goats. We've had it happen ourselves. Past memories flood our minds. The waters of which are nothing more and nothing less than the re-cognition of past correlations drawn between 'objects' of physiological sensory perception and/or oneself(one's own state of mind).

Meaning can be and often is a part of what causes brain states. Hence, it makes no sense to say that meaning itself is a brain state, for that claim conflicts with everyday states of affairs;empirical facts;observable events;etc.

Terrapin Station:

...Plus you're going off on long explanations about what meaning, truth, etc. are functionally in your view, which has nothing to do with arguing about whether it has a location.
Well, you're wrong. Arguing about the location of meaning necessarily presupposes the existence of meaning. Meaning is existentially contingent upon things other than itself. Thus, true statements about the location of meaning are bound by the actual location of all of it's elemental constituents.

Understanding is the aim. The position I'm arguing for has everything to do with what meaning consists of and/or what it requires in order to emerge onto the world stage. What meaning consists of determines what can be sensibly said about it's spatiotemporal location. If it's three elemental constituents are fifty thousand miles apart, then it's location would cover an expansive triangle partially wrapping the globe that would easily swallow the continent of Africa. Now...

What good comes of talking about it's location? How does that help us understand what counts as meaning?

I'm setting out what your position necessarily presupposes, regardless of whether or not you're aware of those presuppositions. In other words, I'm setting out the set of necessary and sufficient preconditions which must be in place so that meaning can emerge onto the universal stage. Whatever that takes, so too does this discussion. What this ought tell us is that we need to figure out - as best we can - what does all meaning require in order for any of it to exist? Due attention is irrevocably important here, lest we could potentially lose the power of understanding that only nuance can deliver as affectively/effectively as it does.

Simply putting first things first...

Since it is the case that all statements necessarily presuppose correspondence to fact/reality, then true statements about meaning must as well. Since it is the case that all statements necessarily presuppose symbolic meaning, then true statements must as well. So, we're at a place in our investigations where we are forced to conclude that truth and meaning are both presupposed by statements. It only follows that whatever they require, so too do statements. Truth and meaning are central to everything ever thought, believed, and/or spoken...

That includes the aforementioned brain state changing utterances...
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

creativesoul wrote:With appropriate respect Terrapin...
And likewise with the maximum amount of respect due to you, you seem to reason about as well as a slug.
A commonly shared observation:
A non-nominalistic "manner of speaking" that you're trying to sneak in there by the way. It's superfluous for what follows, though, so we can ignore it for now.
Hearing a single utterance can change the brain state of the listener. The same holds good for reading. Those changes couldn't possibly take place if it were the case that meaning itself was a brain state.
There's no can about it. Listening to something (listening is different than hearing, by the way, but you say "the listener," so let's stick with listening, and it doesn't make a different for my comments here anyway) and reading something do change the brain state of the listener/reader. Why is that? Well, it's because one's ears and eyes, respectively, receive soundwaves and lightwaves, respectively, which they then "turn into" nerve signals that are sent to one's brain. One's brain receiving those signals from one's nervous system is necessarily in a different state at that point than it had been previously.

So there's no disagreement on that part except that it's a "does change brain state" affair rather than a "can (but doesn't always) change brain state" affair.

Of course, it doesn't at all follow from this that the brain states in question are semantic brain states, and the idea that one's brain couldn't possibly receive non-semantic signals from one's visual or auditory nerves is--well, frankly, with all due respect again--apparently just pulled out of your ass. There's zero support for this claim in your comment.

One way we can know that the signals we receive from our visual or auditory nerves are not necessarily semantic is that we can be aware of text (again, where we're talking about visual signals with respect to reading, since that's what you brought up) or sounds as just text or sounds, with no meaning attached. For example, when I read "Truth is presupposed and begins emergence therein" I pretty much just read it as "just text," just a string of words with no meaning attached to the overall sentence, because it seems simply like nonsense--almost as if you were randomly selecting words, or taking something from the random pomo essay generator or some such. I experience this very often with continental literature. It doesn't take me reading Hegel or Heidegger or Sartre or any of those folks very long before it just starts to seem like a string of arbitrary words.

So for one, if we were to claim that the signals we receive from our visual or auditory nerves were necessarily semantic, we'd have to be able to account for how we could read or listen to something, so that we're aware of the words as words or sounds as sounds, yet attach no meaning to it.

Instead, meaning is something that our brains can do (but something they don't always do) once we've received visual and auditory signals (and not only, of course, but that's our example).
Brain states would be causing brain states.
Which certainly happens, and which is well-established. For one example, that's the whole gist of particular chemical imbalances causing particular mental phenomena.
The same meaningful statement would necessarily presuppose the same brain state in every utterer and/or reader.
Now here is definitely someone who is not a nominalist. I'm a nominalist, however.

Another mistake you're making here in your sluggishness is that you're conflating observable expressions correlated to mental content with the mental content itself. For example, let's say that you're in your remedial literature course, and the teacher says, "Write down what you think the 'meaning' of Dr. Seuss's The Sneetches is and pass your paper to your neighbor." And then when your teacher asks, "Billy, what did Joey say the meaning was?" and Billy reads off of Joey's paper, "Not to get tattoos." And then she asks Joey, "What did Billy say the meaning was?" and Joey says, "Billy also said 'Don't get a tattoo," you take that as demonstrating that Billy and Joey have the same mental content. It doesn't show that though. It shows us something about an observable expression correlated in some way to mental content. But Billys "Don't get a tattoo" might be correlated to Billy's mental content @ (merely a symbol to represent something unexpressable "literally") while Joey's "Not to get tattoos" is correlated to Joey's mental content *, where @ and * are not at all similar.
But they don't. Thus, meaning cannot be a brain state.
The problem here is that there's no way to know (via acquaintance) anyone else's mental phenomena. All we know (by acquaintance) is the observable correlations of their mental phenomena, and then we make knowledge claims (a la propositional knowledge) based on those observable correlations, making assumptions about it, etc. But nominalism aside, we don't actually know that anyone else has the same mental content. And nominalism not aside, and it shouldn't be pushed aside, because nominalism is correct, we can know that no one has the same mental content, although it might be similar enough in some cases to be "manner of speaking 'the same'."
Utterances are chock full of meaning.
Actually, as sounds we make, or marks we make on paper or computer screens, etc., they have no meaning. Meaning is only assigned by individuals thinking about as much.
Well, you're wrong. Arguing about the location of meaning necessarily presupposes the existence of meaning. Meaning is existentially contingent upon things other than itself.
Being contingent upon something else tells us nothing about what the thing in question is or where it's located. For example, a particular elm tree in my yard is contingent upon a huge chain of things, including the existence of the Earth, the presence of water on the Earth, etc. But talking about how water obtained on Earth tells us nothing about that elm tree or its location.
true statements about the location of meaning are bound by the actual location of all of it's elemental constituents.
Yeah, constituents, but not contingency-relations. Those are two very different things. There are no non-mental/non-brain-state constituents for meaning.
The position I'm arguing for has everything to do with what meaning consists of
If it posits something other than brain states there, it's wrong about what meaning consists of.
What good comes of talking about it's location?
"What good" has nothing to do with whether it has a location of course. You didn't argue that it does no good to talk about its location. You argued that it has no location.
I'm setting out what your position necessarily presupposes, regardless of whether or not you're aware of those presuppositions.
Hey look, it's not only a box of rocks, it's an arrogant box of rocks. If only the Internet had a shortage of those.
Since it is the case that all statements necessarily presuppose correspondence to fact/reality,
Um, where the hell are you getting that idea from? What balderdash.

Let's see if you can claim something that isn't wrong in your reply.