Has Your Life Been Worth It?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Re: Has Your Life Been Worth It?

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You'll be ecstatic when you can ride in an electric self-driving vehicle...IF you can hang-on just a wee bit longer.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

See what I mean folks! Incapable of answering a sentence ending with a question mark. I'm beginning to think that it is a congenital infliction but it's very handy when one wishes to identify the gnu and internut loon.

Which bit of 'internal combustion engine' and 'drive' did you not understand? As you say, such insanity will probably be denied future generations so it's been well worth this life to have been able to have such a freedom. Laugh is not the word.

Anyhoo, what would make your life of worth to you?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

FYI; There is no folks here. Just you & me.

Well, my life has already been made worthwhile. Because of a philosophical discipline that I followed when I was quite young.

I devoted my life to understanding myself; Devoted mt life to philosophy.

Though outer circumstances are all important, the penultimate moment of my life was when I was sitting in a classroom and because of the all-encompassing devotion that I had practiced within this discipline I had an extended period of self-consciousness that lead to a miracle; A moment of objective consciousness; Cosmic consciousness; Enlightenment...Which is a strangely inner & outer experience at the same time.

Sorry. Impossible to explain. Must be experienced...Which is where the miracle occurred.

Thank you for your input to this thread and THANK YOU for giving me this opportunity to express, in a way, why this life that I have been given was worth it.

tl;dr - philosophy.

artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:
Though outer circumstances are all important, the penultimate moment of my life was when I was sitting in a classroom and because of the all-encompassing devotion that I had practiced within this discipline I had an extended period of self-consciousness that lead to a miracle; A moment of objective consciousness; Cosmic consciousness; Enlightenment...Which is a strangely inner & outer experience at the same time.

Sorry. Impossible to explain. Must be experienced...Which is where the miracle occurred.

But Bill,

What any of us experience in life, we have no way of knowing it is real. at the flip of a switch, whether it is physical or emotional, our minds can play trick on us. A bit of cheese, a glass of wine, a dose of heroin, all can change the way we view reality to varying degrees. And then you have atmospheric disruption of what we see, being sleep deprived, being abused, being in weather conditions such as fog. ect...the list goes on and on.

If, god forbid, you were in an accident tomorrow that affect your brain, you may view things differently depending on the damage done. Does that mean reality has changed for everyone? No. Each of us experiences our own. None of us can know if we are experiencing the one true reality, if such a thing even exists.

Our egos tell us we know when we do not...not for 100% certainty.

It's just impractical and unrealistic and almost embarrassing to say, "I have a higher consciousness than anyone else".

I have the experience of an artist. I know first hand that eyes can deceive. If you doubt, try to make a realistic drawing of something...anything. You will soon see that your eyes/ego can fool you. Why does the drawing look different from the subject? How could my lines be so off? This is how humans relate to the aesthetics they think they see. Ego and emotion and even physical abnormalities play trick with our minds....makes us see/feel things that are not there. It's why a person can fall in love and then years later, realize they never really loved. it's why we can draw the same subject differently each attempt. It's why our perception is not accurate.

We are fools to believe we know with any great certainty.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Excellent post and you are completely correct.

Just to clarify, like our first vacation into heroin, I experienced forays into extended self-consciousness for just a short periods of time in my life. For the most part - during that time in college. I have since been chasing the dragon to no avail...

I have long since returned to normal waking consciousness...or waking sleep, for the most part, for the remainder of my life.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
FYI; There is no folks here. Just you & me.
Nah! You wouldn't be posting then.
Well, my life has already been made worthwhile. Because of a philosophical discipline that I followed when I was quite young.

I devoted my life to understanding myself; Devoted mt life to philosophy.
And yet you say you don't know who you are?
Was this when you were also smoking a lot of weed?
From your description you can get the same experience with acid or shrooms.
Thank you for your input to this thread and THANK YOU for giving me this opportunity to express, in a way, why this life that I have been given was worth it.

tl;dr - philosophy.
My pleasure and glad that you think your life worthwhile.

Bit puzzled by the 'penultimate' bit tho'?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Actually, when I had my deep understanding; my peek into cosmic consciousness I was perfectly sober.

Coffee was my only drug of choice at the time.

Respectfully, you cannot obtain the same experience through LSD, schrooms, or any other drug. It's just a different animal - right off the rip.

penultimate ‎- Next to last, second to last; immediately preceding the end of a sequence, list, etc.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Respectfully, you cannot obtain the same experience through LSD, schrooms, or any other drug. It's just a different animal - right off the rip.
Have you tried LSD or shrooms?

The Catholic church certified LSD as a genuine religious experience.
penultimate ‎- Next to last, second to last; immediately preceding the end of a sequence, list, etc. [/size].
I know what it means, it's in the context of what you said that I'm interested in, so what was the last experience that'll match this penultimate one?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

No. I don't think I've done LSD or magic mushrooms.

I assume you have?

FYI: They're different animals; drugs & a disciplined life of philosophy.

...there are no short cuts in living a philosophical life.

As for the use of the word penultimate, I always leave the door open for another enlightenment though I know I can't expect another miracle today...

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:. No. I don't think I've done LSD or magic mushrooms. ...
You don't know? Although that could account for your experience if you were spiked.
I assume you have?
For my 'sins', yes.
FYI: They're different animals; drugs & a disciplined life of philosophy.

...there are no short cuts in living a philosophical life.
And yet I can find post after post of yours advocating drug usage so your disciplined life of philosophy is not so disciplined?
As for the use of the word penultimate, I always leave the door open for another enlightenment though I know I can't expect another miracle today...[/size].
But by this thinking the next one wouldn't be penultimate either?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

It would become the new, my penultimate moment.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

:lol: No it wouldn't.

Idiot.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

penultimate = Next-to-last.

& um, FEEL FREE to work on your presentation skills...at any time would be a great time to begin.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Next-to-last[/size]
:lol: Last.

Not just the most recent.
& um, FEEL FREE to work on your presentation skills...at any time would be a great time to begin.

And look like a complete dick like you, no thanks.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Again, from the link that apparently you did not make the effort to view:

While the Latinate penultimate is predominant in written works, the traditional English expressions for this idea were last but one and (less often) second last.

Following the 1920s, American use has favored next to last to the point that last but one functions as a Britishism.

While last but one continues to be somewhat more popular in Britain, however, next to last, second to last, etc. have been gaining in popularity.

...you're welcome...