A basis for discussing ethics with an intelligent layman.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

A basis for discussing ethics with an intelligent layman.

Post by prof »

:idea: For all those who would like some discussion material to use with your family, friends, fellow-students, and neighbors (even with precocious kids) here is an important announcement:

Just out :!: Hot off the press :!: A paper you may enjoy reading on topics relating to Ethics, and the living of the ethical life – the why? the what? and the how?

In late October of this year I wrote a couple of blogs here which I've incorporated into this little brochure. 8)

You may wish to consider studying this essay which is relatively-short {only 11 pages, if printed out on both sides of the sheet}; critics have spoken of it as “persuasive.”

Its title is LIVING WELL: how ethics helps us flourish.

Here, free of charge, safe to open in your favorite Reader program, is a link to it: http://tinyurl.com/nrnb4t4

If you do look it over, your suggestions as to how it might be upgraded or improved will be most welcome.) (Some of it may sound familiar to those who have paid attention to blogs here at the forum, for the writer borrowed some ideas from them. So let’s hear your responses once you are acquainted with the concepts it contains. Okay?

http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/LI ... ourish.pdf
prof

Re: A basis for discussing ethics with an intelligent layman.

Post by prof »

Here [unformatted ] is the table of contents of the brochure, LIVING WELL: How ethics helps us flourish. See this link for the properly-formatted version, and the rest of it: http://tinyurl.com/nrnb4t4

Table of Contents .........................Page

Is ethics necessary in today's world? 3
Defining Ethics 5
On having a good character 7
How the various schools of ethics can benefit you 9
Ends and Means to the ends 13
Technical theory and a fun experiment 14
On achieving emotional peace 16
How Ethics spreads over the world 17
Bibliography 22

Comments?
Questions?
prof

Post by prof »

What follows are some wise quotes relevant to Ethics - to optimal living - as well as some declarative prose that will very likely appear in my next essay:

"I think that only a small percentage of people subscribe to the violent discourse. We are human beings, and there is no basis or justification for killing others. If you consider others as brothers and sisters and respect their rights, then there is no room for violence.
Furthermore, the problems that we are facing today are the result of superficial differences over religious faiths and nationalities. We are one people.

People want to lead peaceful lives. The terrorists are short-sighted, and this is one of the causes of rampant suicide bombings. We cannot solve this problem only through prayers. God would say, solve it yourself because you humans created it in the first place.
Our troubles will increase if we don't put moral principles over money. Morality is important for everyone ... including politicians.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ------- Dalai Lama.

For more moral principles, see: pp. 26-27 of http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ET ... ENTURY.pdf

Here are some more wise quotes:

“How can you avoid looking back at the end of your life with too many regrets?”
“Being ‘good’, or living well, is all about balance. Balance between reason and emotion, and between your needs and those of others, and between pragmatism and ‘the perfect solution’.”

“‘Right’ is not used here to describe a pre-determined course of action, but the one that is correct for you, in that it is consistent with both moral principles and your own personal values.”

For thousands of years these properties of a self-image [a Self] that is highly moral were accepted as those which make us fully human, and not just a wild animal:

Courage, and not cowardice or impulsiveness and extreme risk-taking;
Self-control, instead of self-indulgence or selfishness;
Generosity, and not wasted resources or opportunities;
Friendliness and politeness, not rudeness, flattery, or other unpleasantness towards others;
Tact and discretion;
Truthfulness and integrity;
Good temper, even in the face of provocation;
and Fairness. [Fair-dealing with others, rather than cheating. The Justice principle includes this.]

These qualities or traits are among those Aristotle spoke of as the ‘virtues.’

“If the properties of a moral self-image generally are a guide or map for how to live. ‘(moral) goodness’ is the compass that enables us to read the map the right way up, and work out which way to go.”

Either science works, or it does not – and this truth applies to Ethics as science. The findings and principles derived by a science of Ethics will be pragmatic in the sense that they will enhance human life on Earth. If when it is applied it fails to do this then it was a mistake to give it much credence or consideration. So let’s not let Ethics waste our time if it doesn’t work when tried. First, understand it; then give it a real try – and see what happens.
Let’s devote ourselves to living well, that is, to the ethical life: to continuous self-improvement, towards striving for excellence, towards developing the properties of a Self that is highly moral. Let’s maximize value and work to avoid disvalue; this will be living optimally; this will be getting us closer to a Quality Life for one and all.

Moral laws are not imposed. This they have in common with natural law. People can attempt to violate them, but there is a price to be paid. In the case of disregarding the logical existential hierarchy of Value (which is explained early on in this science) the price is a more-chaotic society, needing more-expensive repairs than is necessary. If one personally (because his or her conscience is asleep) does not experience the stress and aggravation, one's children, or those that one may care about, will experience the avoidable strife and tension, the dysfunctional world.

You will want to see the vital and relevant links on how to live well and how to flourish by other writers on this topic that are offered below, several posts later !!!
Comments? Questions? Impressions?
Last edited by prof on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Comments? Questions? Impressions?
You’re preaching to the choir.

For any worth of preaching, preach to killers.
Walker

Post by Walker »

prof wrote:What follows are some wise quotes relevant to Ethics - to optimal living - as well as some declarative prose that will very likely appear in my next essay:

"I think that only a small percentage of people subscribe to the violent discourse. We are human beings, and there is no basis or justification for killing others. If you consider others as brothers and sisters and respect their rights, then there is no room for violence.
Furthermore, the problems that we are facing today are the result of superficial differences over religious faiths and nationalities. We are one people.

This man offers a justification for killing at 2:18 in the video.

Is it an ethical, or unethical justification?

MALCOLM X: WHO TAUGHT YOU TO HATE YOURSELF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSgUTWffMQ
prof

Post by prof »

Hi, Walker

Malcolm is saying that a Muslim man will protect his woman when someone "puts his filthy hand out to molest our women." He is ready to kill a molester.

No. It is not ethical to murder. It violates the very definition of Ethics, as you can discern from studying the second chapter in the recent pamphlet: LIVING WELL. Empirically, by observation, it is a fact that murder is almost-universally rejected. Even in so-called uncivilized regions of the globe, we note that while killing a human may be part of a sanctioned ritual, murder itself is not condoned.

The ethical way to handle a molester (of women, of transgenders, or of anyone) is to remove them - by a nonviolent arrest - from society, and work actively on rehabilitation of the individual molester, meanwhile keeping him or her locked up, until a parole board of psychologists is convinced that the perpetrator has given up his unethical conduct. Arresting them is why we have police; taking the law into your own hands is not advisable. Vigilantes or poorly=trained or unqualified police assume the role of judge, jury, and executioner. This is an ethical mistake ! Killing a molester is immoral because it creates a disvalue, and makes the killer into a living contradiction, one who affirms Life (if merely his own, or his beloved) while at the same time desecrating Life. The ethical principle known as The Law of
Consistency, which tells us to avoid having a double standard, one for ourselves and one for others, is thus violated also.

Your comments?
prof

Post by prof »

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_living

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/ ... thics.html

http://www.carroll.edu/msmillie/bioethics/happiness.htm

We can learn how to be better than we are from websites such as these.

What I write is not only for people who are well-off. but also for the poor, the captive or the stranger in the land.

Let's make "the choir" stronger
:!:

"Being ethical provides the greatest chance of happiness in life."

What say you?
prof

Post by prof »

Walker wrote: You’re preaching to the choir.

Mo, Walker, I am providing a basis for discussing Ethics with an intelligent layman out there, be he or she a "conservative" or a "liberal," a" populist", a "libertarian," a "progressive," or a "Nietzschean." Can we find any areas of agreement with these types? Or with those who want to limit government, or those who want a strong social safety net; can we build common ground - and then expand it?

I am not addressing those whose main ambition in life is to acquire power, fame, or influence, or m o n e y. I am not addressing those with the greed compulsion, or those with a criminal mind, or the beliefs of a warrior, nor those who believe "Might is Right."

My audience includes students and teachers of ethics: are we as ethical and moral as we might be? Can we set a better example?

Your views, Readers?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Ethical system:
- "there is no basis or justification for killing others."

Effect:
“If you live peacefully you will have no problem at all. You may be imprisoned because you refuse to join the army or shot because you refuse to fight - but that is not a problem; you will be shot. It is extraordinarily important to understand this.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti

Principle presented by Malcolm X:

- A human being is not bound by an ethical system that denies him his inalienable rights. Such a system is imbalanced in favor of the denier, and is thus inherently immoral.
Walker

Post by Walker »

prof wrote:"I think that only a small percentage of people subscribe to the violent discourse. We are human beings, and there is no basis or justification for killing others. If you consider others as brothers and sisters and respect their rights, then there is no room for violence.
Life, and by inference the taking of life, is the fundamental basis of all Ethics.
prof

Post by prof »

Walker wrote:Ethical system:
- "there is no basis or justification for killing others."

Effect:
“If you live peacefully you will have no problem at all. You may be imprisoned because you refuse to join the army ... It is extraordinarily important to understand this.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti[/i

Principle presented by Malcolm X:

- A human being is not bound by an ethical system that denies him his inalienable rights. Such a system is imbalanced in favor of the denier, and is thus inherently immoral.

I agree with both. I was a Conscientious Objector when I was 20 and I did time for it. While I was in the correctional facility I taught myself the Calculus of Finite Differences, and enjoyed learning it from a book entitled Mathematics for the Millions. I made the experience into a productive use of my time. And I had several chances there to demonstrate nonviolent direct action, and see its marvelous effects when attackers held back because I showed no fear but instead projected vibes of love and peace.

I agree entirely with Malcolm X here: no justice, no peace. Here is an excerpt of what you will find on page 28 of the paper, 21st Century Ethics which I scribbled off, after quoting some moral principles from The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

"• Principle of lawfulness: do not violate the law.

• Principle of autonomy: acknowledge a person’s freedom over his/her actions or physical body.

• Principle of justice: acknowledge a person’s right
to due process, fair compensation for harm done, and fair distribution of benefits.

• Rights: acknowledge a person’s rights to life, information, privacy, free
expression, and safety. Etc."

With regard to the Principle of lawfulness this upgrade needs to be added: Do not violate the law unless it is an unjust law, a law that can be shown to violate one or more principles of Ethics. The Moral Law is to be the foundation of statute law and will be, once legislators understand their ethics.

The Principle of Justice within Individual Ethics directs individuals to lead a balanced life; within Social Ethics it directs folks to uphold social justice and to elect for public office only those who will work for social justice and for
the common good.

For more, see http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ET ... ENTURY.pdf
prof

Post by prof »

Walker wrote:
prof wrote:"... We are human beings, and there is no basis or justification for killing others. If you consider others as brothers and sisters and respect their rights, then there is no room for violence.
.... We are one people ----- the Dalai Lama
Life, and by inference the taking of life, is the fundamental basis of all Ethics.
I believe you will agree that ethics is about human relations, honesty, fairness, taking responsibility having a good character, living the good life, getting along harmoniously with a minimum of quarrels, cooperating like the members of a symphony orchestra do, or like a great sports team does. Behind all this is caring about the life of those with whom you are interacting. If you care about life, you will not want to harm it; hence you will very probably not commit violence against it, starting especially with members of your own species.

Many would find that to be a reasonable proposition.

What say you?
Walker

Post by Walker »

prof wrote:
Walker wrote:
prof wrote:"... We are human beings, and there is no basis or justification for killing others. If you consider others as brothers and sisters and respect their rights, then there is no room for violence.
.... We are one people ----- the Dalai Lama
I believe you will agree that ethics is about human relations, honesty, fairness, taking responsibility having a good character, living the good life, getting along harmoniously with a minimum of quarrels, cooperating like the members of a symphony orchestra do, or like a great sports team does. Behind all this is caring about the life of those with whom you are interacting. If you care about life, you will not want to harm it; hence you will very probably not commit violence against it, starting especially with members of your own species.

Many would find that to be a reasonable proposition.

What say you?
Hello. I think you have good intentions.

Jiddu Krishnamurti often contemplated relationship. He is a fine compliment to any contemplation.

On Relationship
http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishnamur ... &chid=4665
prof

Post by prof »

:idea: “Flourishing,” by definition, is living "within an optimal range of human functioning..."

When people are not clear about their moral values, chaos results.

When chaos is present there is, as a consequence, dysfunction in the individual, the family, the nation.

To avoid this, the study of Moral Philosophy, especially Ethics, is recommended. For those who are already practicing Ethics, whose lives are a shining example of empathy, compassion, kindness, and dedication to the welfare of others - while taking care of themselves as well - it is not necessary to study the latest (and best?) theory [namely the one alluded to in the reading selections offered ....] since their conduct speaks louder than any words :!:
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

prof, I must praise you on your persistence. Your deeds are good and with persistence even greater!

This speaks of you, of course, and I want to say it out loud!

So, now it's done! :D

Necro