Do we need Ethics at all?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

Do we need Ethics at all?

Post by prof »

As my argument on this topic I shall start with nature: let us consider human nature as our focus. We have hormones that activate at puberty. They serve to encourage the propagation of the species; boys are attracted to girls, and vice versa. Without this, the species would die off. A certain amount of births are needed and sexual desire is the vehicle; it attracts us to one another. As a result, we form families. If family members are ignorant in human-relation skills, or decline to defer to one another, or to cooperate, we witness some conflicts arising.

If selfishness dominates over the will to harmonious relations, then tension and serious conflict is inevitable. We expect children to be self-centered; yet wise parents shape and socialize the child into maturity, into becoming a responsible adult.

Tribalism starts with an extended family. The first tribe was an extended family. From tribes ethnic groups derive. And such groups result in distinctive cultures. When one culture’s values are incompatible with another culture’s values we are liable to see some tension and some conflict. It is known as “culture clash.”

When a tribe gets large enough to form a small town, the first building they want to build is a meeting hall – or a building for ceremonial rituals that will encourage bonding. The meeting hall is where the tribal chief, or the most-respected elders of the tribe, will set up government and assign a police force; this will later evolve into an army or guard for the authorities. [Today, every city has a mayor. The local police answer to him or her.]

In earlier times the king, or queen, was considered to be sovereign. Many of them encouraged the spreading of the idea that the sovereign was divine and had a closer connection to the gods than the common folk did. Eventually priests became emperors, and tribal chiefs became shamans. They were the authority that informed ordinary people how to be ‘moral’ and ‘ethical.’ [Today, in Moral Philosophy, we note that one school of thought, one ideology, is known as The Divine Command Theory. …another possible source of conflict.]

We have examined how strife and conflict can originate – even in our intimate settings if we don’t know our Ethics. Is it not about time that we studied, and learned the fundamentals of this body of useful knowledge? Yes, to restore harmony and for each of us to attain a quality life Ethics is definitely needed in today’s world. Need I argue any further in support of this? In a future thread I will explain just how the concepts of Ethics can spread around the world and find wide acceptance.

{You see, Skip, I don't agree with the pessimistic view that it is already too late for the human race. Sure, we may undergo a bankruptcy and reorganization of a sort; or we may support leaders who are willing and ready to tax the billionaires - perhaps to the level of taxation that prevailed during the Eisenhower administration, when the USA was thriving and people were flourishing compared with today - but if we do elect such leaders, who want to go ahead with all deliberate speed in developing clean, green, decentralized energy, and who encourage profit-sharing businesses, there is still hope for us.}

To learn what I mean by "Ethics" or to get further details in re this field, see these two links:
ETHICS FOR THE 21st CENTURY: Keys to the good life (2015)
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ET ... ENTURY.pdf

BASIC ETHICS: a systematic approach (2014) http://tinyurl.com/mfcgzfz

Your comments?
Last edited by prof on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
prof

Re: Do we need Ethics at all?

Post by prof »

Here is another presentation as to why we need ethics. Check out this site:

https://www.globalethics.org/What-We-Do/Approach.aspx

The tools they use to "streamline" an ethical choice - where both sides of a dilemma are right ways to go - are these: they teach that the "right choice" [the correct way to resolve the dilemma] may be rule-based; ends-based; or empathy-based. Their descriptions of these will sound familiar to you. {In my system they are applications of S, E, and I.} See BASIC ETHICS - http://tinyurl.com/mfcgzfz
Once they, in their seminars and workshops, impart this insight, they then would advocate that those having the dilemma should consider all three, but eventually give the most emphasis to the empathy considerations. Thus they avoid technical jargon, but in effect are teaching that we should Intrinsically value one another.

The cases where the ethical dilemma consists of Right versus Wrong are, they explain, cases of "moral temptation." In these instances, always choose the alternative you believe is (morally) right.

My latest approach to explaining Ethics both to lay persons and to students of moral philosophy is this: ETHICS FOR THE 21st CENTURY: Keys to the good life (2015)
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ET ... ENTURY.pdf

Comments?
annieoroberts00

Post by annieoroberts00 »

There are times when the right and wrong decisions are obvious, but what about the times where the outcome is less clear? Situations where, if nobody knew you made the wrong decision, you would benefit financially, emotionally, or otherwise. Ethics help us navigate the gray area between absolute right and morally wrong. They provide the structure that helps us make a decision we can be proud of. For me personally, ethics are the rules that society must adhere to. Descartes may have said “I think, therefore I am” but it is not only thinking that makes mankind sentient, it’s the ability to think and act ethically. Without ethics, society would be reduced to the type of animal behaviour that is seen in nature. Hunt, kill, feed, fornicate. When mankind started to think about the outcome of their action, or inaction, ethics were born. Mankind demonstrates its difference from the rest of the animal kingdom by being imaginative enough to follow a concept through the various possible outcomes, and then deciding on the action that best suits the personal beliefs of the person in question.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

As long as everyone follows the same rules, both privately and publicly. Start breaking trust with me though, and I'll screw you right back.
osgart

Post by osgart »

ethics or chaos. Trust is a pillar of society. So is mutual necessity. I desire quality of life so i must be ethical. I desire safety so i must practice safety.
It benefits everyone.
Is it our moral responsibility to make people employable vs. Leaving them to rot or take from others?
Or should everyone be only self interested? A moral is needed and it reflects who you are.
But everyone benefits from ethics.
Ask yourself what kind of reality do i wish to live in? And ethics and morality is the builder of it.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

The more I hear people taking about ethics, the more I want to become a bigger bastard.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

TSBU wrote:The more I hear people taking about ethics, the more I want to become a bigger bastard.
too late.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

thedoc wrote:
TSBU wrote:The more I hear people taking about ethics, the more I want to become a bigger bastard.
too late.
The extremes are those who change "too late"
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

TSBU wrote:
thedoc wrote:
too late.
The extremes are those who change "too late"
Yep, welcome to the club.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Ethics is self-preservation, without which we'd always have to be on guard for the next person's wants, needs and desires which will inevitably cross our's, and our's, their's. It's about resolving conflict, before it occurs, that we may carry on as a species, and as individuals, in the best possible circumstances.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Something to think about in our spare time. In the meantime it's just a questionable question.