What have you done?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

What have you done?

Post by Blaggard »

A lot of people talk about ethics and don't actually practice what they preach. So a simple question what have you done? Is ethics just theory or..? What have you done to make what you discuss something that you do, if anything, and how?

See I personally think I am a hypocrite like most people are, and maybe always will be, I say a lot but I do little; they talk about morality and the moral codes which they theorise about are little more than punctuation is in a sentence. They do nothing, they say a lot, but they don't practice what they preach and never will.

So what have you done other than talk about moral values? And in that way how do you expect to make things better? Is philosophy to you all talk? Or do you plan to walk at some point, 'cause I don't think anyone does walk the walk, or at least often. Me neither, we perhaps should though, or could we or would we? Is morality and hence the judgement of it just a punctuation mark in a sentence...
thedoc

Re: What have you done?

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote:A lot of people talk about ethics and don't actually practice what they preach. So a simple question what have you done? Is ethics just theory or..? What have you done to make what you discuss something that you do, if anything, and how?

See I personally think I am a hypocrite like most people are, and maybe always will be, I say a lot but I do little; they talk about morality and the moral codes which they theorise about are little more than punctuation is in a sentence. They do nothing, they say a lot, but they don't practice what they preach and never will.

So what have you done other than talk about moral values? And in that way how do you expect to make things better? Is philosophy to you all talk? Or do you plan to walk at some point, 'cause I don't think anyone does walk the walk, or at least often. Me neither, we perhaps should though, or could we or would we? Is morality and hence the judgement of it just a punctuation mark in a sentence...
Just before Thanksgiving a friend of ours called, he was in the hospital with a heart attack, she was fired from her job and lost her benefits, because her knees were bad and she couldn't stand for 8 hours. They are staying with us till they can get things worked out and get a place of their own, BTW they have a 36 year old autistic son living with them also. When she called all she wanted was permission to park in our driveway and sleep in their car, he was still in the hospital. There was no way I was going to let someone sleep in their car in my driveway, so they are now in our extra bedrooms. are you going to say I'm unethical for not sending them on their way and exercising "Tough Love"?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I want to walk the walk...right after I dance the dance!

Join me won't you?

You can attempt to be meaningful later-on.

Pluto

Post by Pluto »

thedoc wrote:
Blaggard wrote:A lot of people talk about ethics and don't actually practice what they preach. So a simple question what have you done? Is ethics just theory or..? What have you done to make what you discuss something that you do, if anything, and how?

Just before Thanksgiving a friend of ours called, he was in the hospital with a heart attack, she was fired from her job and lost her benefits, because her knees were bad and she couldn't stand for 8 hours. They are staying with us till they can get things worked out and get a place of their own, BTW they have a 36 year old autistic son living with them also. When she called all she wanted was permission to park in our driveway and sleep in their car, he was still in the hospital. There was no way I was going to let someone sleep in their car in my driveway, so they are now in our extra bedrooms. are you going to say I'm unethical for not sending them on their way and exercising "Tough Love"?
You are ethical there, according to my book. good on you.