The Moral Imagination

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"No need to explain it."

As you like.

#

"watch a couple hardcore slaughterhouse videos"

No need. I hunt. That is: I've no need to watch folks kill animals cuz I kill animals.

#

From what I can tell: seems you have a grudge against people cuz of what people do (animal cruelty and such) How do you square this grudge with your view of humans being robots (automatons as blameless for their actions as cows, dogs, platypi, etc)?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re:

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

henry quirk wrote:"No need to explain it."

As you like.

#

"watch a couple hardcore slaughterhouse videos"

No need. I hunt. That is: I've no need to watch folks kill animals cuz I kill animals.

#

From what I can tell: seems you have a grudge against people cuz of what people do (animal cruelty and such) How do you square this grudge with your view of humans being robots (automatons as blameless for their actions as cows, dogs, platypi, etc)?
So, I take it, you hunt cows? Or does the common deer provide you with your beef?

How do I square my grudge? Can't one hate a faulty device? Aren't computer errors a prime source of anger and frustration? And if a computer has faulty programming, well you either toss it out, or reprogram the damn thing.
henry quirk

Re: The Moral Imagination

Post by henry quirk »

"you hunt cows?"

No, but I have shot a few in the head.

That, of course, is not hunting. That's just my making use of my property.

Hunting is when I (attempt to) shoot the venison. There is risk (from the environment, of missing, etc.) and cost in hunting.

The cow is easy; the deer not so much.

#

"Can't one hate a faulty device?"

I expect my eight year old to get pissed when the chain comes off his bike. I have a higher expectation of an adult.

That is: for an adult to get pissed off at a broken machine makes no friggin' sense (cuz, adults should know better...it's a machine...there's no blame to be levied against it, so, if you can't blame it then it's dumb to get angry at it).

#

"if a computer has faulty programming, well you either toss it out, or reprogram the damn thing."

I suspect I would fall into your category of 'broken' or 'mis-programmed'.

If it's all the same to you: I don't think I'll let myself be thrown away or 'fixed'.
GreatandWiseTrixie

henry quirk wrote:"you hunt cows?"

No, but I have shot a few in the head.

That, of course, is not hunting. That's just my making use of my property.

Hunting is when I (attempt to) shoot the venison. There is risk (from the environment, of missing, etc.) and cost in hunting.

The cow is easy; the deer not so much.

#

"Can't one hate a faulty device?"

I expect my eight year old to get pissed when the chain comes off his bike. I have a higher expectation of an adult.

That is: for an adult to get pissed off at a broken machine makes no friggin' sense (cuz, adults should know better...it's a machine...there's no blame to be levied against it, so, if you can't blame it then it's dumb to get angry at it).

#

"if a computer has faulty programming, well you either toss it out, or reprogram the damn thing."

I suspect I would fall into your category of 'broken' or 'mis-programmed'.

If it's all the same to you: I don't think I'll let myself be thrown away or 'fixed'.
A machine yelling at a machine is irrelevant in the whole, unless it interferes with my rest.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

henry quirk wrote: "Can't one hate a faulty device?"

Oh yes, we should treat humans the same as bicycle chains, because bicycle chains can respond to anger. I'm going to try that some time. "Hey bicycle chain do you really think that you breaking down right now is helping the situation?"
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Your first mistake is using the word "better", like it means something. Is an alien race better if it has superior technology and intellect, but no wisdom? Thus, a human is no better than a dog, though it may believe itself so. For without wisdom, it's technology and intellect will be its own bane.
I agree that we have lots of technology with little wisdom, but we do have a capacity for thought which can lead to wisdom if we quit subverting each others capacity for thought.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Systematic wrote:
henry quirk wrote: "Can't one hate a faulty device?"

Oh yes, we should treat humans the same as bicycle chains, because bicycle chains can respond to anger. I'm going to try that some time. "Hey bicycle chain do you really think that you breaking down right now is helping the situation?"
I'm afraid we already do. Why else are there shows like "Weakest Link"?
Systematic wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Your first mistake is using the word "better", like it means something. Is an alien race better if it has superior technology and intellect, but no wisdom? Thus, a human is no better than a dog, though it may believe itself so. For without wisdom, it's technology and intellect will be its own bane.
I agree that we have lots of technology with little wisdom, but we do have a capacity for thought which can lead to wisdom if we quit subverting each others capacity for thought.
You can't subvert someone's capacity for thought just by filling their heads with ape babble. If you wanna subvert someone's capacity for thought you need to fill the food and water with lots of toxins.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

The conservative believes that the individual is foolish, although the species is wise; therefore, unlike the confident intellectual, he declines to undertake the reconstruction of society and human nature.

Russell Kirk