Great savings, though at grave cost ...

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FrankGSterleJr

Great savings, though at grave cost ...

Post by FrankGSterleJr »

Now that yet more mass graves have recently enough been found in Mexico, I can imagine that the travel package prices for Mexican vacations advertised in our metro-dailies will be even cheaper than they have been since the last discovery of such graves. This time the graves contain several “savagely slaughtered” burnt human remains, perhaps those of 43 arrested protester students missing since last week near Iguala city.
And, yes, there will be plenty of more-northern-continent daily readers who’ll take advantage of such deals, irregardless.
Indeed, about a year ago when I first read about such mass graves becoming fairly common in Mexico -- although the ones about which I’d read were alleged to hold the remains of drug dealers and innocent bystanders -- I overheard a couple of people I know well, borderline bragging about which of the two had managed to score the best deal for their then-just-recent Mexican vacation. I became sufficiently bothered to feel compelled to slip into their exchange a brief albeit smart-ass commentary to perhaps rain just a tiny bit on their apparent parade: “Did you happen to trip over any mass graves while you were there?” Their awareness of and apparent apathy towards the dire conditions in parts of that mostly impoverished nation -- great turmoil that has caused countless citizens to flee northwards into the U.S. -- was made clear to me by their continuation of the same sentence but a half second after my admittedly unflattering comment.
Yet I’m still not sure which bothered me more: That both are well-educated health care professionals, or that neither felt any compulsion to rebut my implicit rebuke of what seemed to me to be a form of ugly profiteering on their part. They could’ve at least replied with something conveniently along the lines of having left behind much-needed tourist dollars with the merchants and dirt-poor street peddlers (whose own goods, I can imagine, may also be even cheaper now).
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Great savings, though at grave cost ...

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I wonder who's buying all those drugs?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

disappointed leftists

-Imp
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Impenitent wrote:disappointed leftists

-Imp
The leftist(s) doth protest too much, me thinks.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...the beauty of capitalism.