WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES TO BEHAVING MORALLY?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES TO BEHAVING MORALLY?

Post by uwot »

HexHammer wrote:uwot, it's futile to reason with you, why you get back on ignore.
I quite understand, Mr Hammer. I can think of no more efficient way to improve the quality of your discourse; as Abraham lincoln said: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
HexHammer wrote:You really don't understand very simple problems, and will always give a bad viewpoint that doen't really relate to the points made.
I'm fairly confident that I understand the points you make, as you say, they're very simple; I just happen to disagree with you.
HexHammer wrote:Karl Popper clearly didn't understand the concept of knowledge, experience and intellect.
Can you name one individual whose knowledge, experience and intellect have prevented them being misunderstood?
prof

Post by prof »

Sappho de Miranda wrote:What are the advantages of behaving morally?

Well that depends on what is meant by morality. ...

Justice seems to be the moral measure nowadays...
Hello, Sopho de Miranda

What I meant by "morality" you will find in the first post of these threads: "What is Morality?" - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10207 -
- and its follow-up supplement here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11548 -

Be sure to combine those with the o.p. of this thread: "How to tell what is morally right". viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10826

After reading them over I'd love to get your impressions of them!

You bring up the topic of "Justice." Here is a link to the booklet A Unified Theory of Ethics. - http://wadeharvey.myqol.com/wadeharvey/ ... ETHICS.pdf - Note that on page 23 there you will find definitions of the concepts "justice" and "injustice." Then, in the paper Adventures in Ethics, on pp. 8-12, you see a detailed discussion and analysis of "justice." I'd like to hear your opinion of that analysis, if you are so inclined to share it with us.

Also, if you go ahead and peruse any of the other writings listed as references {which you can easily get to when you click the links - that you will find at the end of the o.p. of the thread "How to Tell What is Morally Right"} then I'd like to discuss that material with you also. You have a good mind, and I feel that you could make a solid contribution to the construction of a better, more sound and more acceptable ethical theory - which is what the world may need now as a step to make progress. ...all toward the ultimate purpose, which is a Quality Life for one and all.
prof

Post by prof »

The theme of this thread: What are the advantages to behaving morally? Has the question been answered satisfactorily?

My latest conclusion is that - considering the potential threats of Climate Change - which has been caused by humans spewing carbon residues into the atmosphere - the survival of the human species is at stake. I believe it is my - and your - self-interest for the species to survive. [For it to thrive would be still better.] To thrive is to have a Quality Life. The latest findings on how this is achieved are to be seen in the first five paragraphs HERE: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13988

That discussion on values, and which of them takes priority, is the most-important thing everyone could learn, if the species is to survive. Because the way we are going is downhill. We have so complicated things that we are in actual danger of extinction. We need to simplify and we need to do it right away. We need to comply with the logical, existential, Hierarchy of Value - and go in the direction of Intrinsic Value.
pljamesone@att.net

Post by pljamesone@att.net »

How many people love emotional pain? How many people love to be happy? I for one choose happiness over emotional pain in my seventy first year. Thoughts? Paul
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

The advantages could be that no one would be offended, but in fact there can never be such a common ground, as morality attempts to create. What is and what is not considered moral can be ridiculous, absurd, yet sometimes smart and fair. What is right and what is wrong can only be answered for ones own life, such that all we can do is "treat others as you would have others treat you, to the extent that all parties knowingly agree at that time." And that's the full extent of it!
prof

Post by prof »

What are the advantages of behaving morally?

If I help you win, I win also. The real winners in life get what they want by helping others get what they want. Aim for a double-win :!: Avoid win/lose situations.

Keep this in mind:

"When I help you, I win too."