Pride

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Re: Pride

Post by Blaggard »

madera wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
madera wrote:
"Pride cometh before the fall".
No it doesn't not in the Bible and hence nowhere it should actually matter if you use that quote: no matter how many times I see that misquoted it never gets old. :P

"Pride cometh before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the fall."

It's as Quoted that verbatum in the OT kind of but allowing for the lacksidaisicle transaltion of KJV aka KJC, allowing for the language in which it was written as.

That pride cometh before the fall thing is something else, more pride cometh before the sheer gall of misquoting Bible people who do so for who know's what reason, pride maybe? Pride comes in package even the itinerant, and sometimes settled peasants in the Old testament recognised, but apparently can't be recognised by those in modern times who misquote the Bible, for what reason who knows?

Makes you think really, have we ever really progressed?

"Pride goes before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. When pride comes, then comes shame: but with the lowly is wisdom."

Proverbs 11:2

Stick it in context for God's sake, if you are a Christian it behooves you to know something about your religion. :P

To put it in a simple language apart from the odd way the middle English spoke, it means this:

When pride comes, then comes often disgrace (might also be translated as dishonour but meh semantics), and to translate the next bit into non Bible gibberish: if you are haughty and of spirit and most often prideful you might expect destruction follows too, (and the most important bit), but with humility comes wisdom. English is an absurd language that often had the verbs about face, and then reversed them back, but that is the gist of it.

x years later pride is evil and one of the 89273589346538953268923 deadly sins, and never has any reason to exist. That's religion for you. It talks cavernous ass all the time throughout time, and the more you know about it and its history the more you see it. There's nowt wrong with being a Christian but it is not Christianity any more and you perhaps should have realised it sooner than I did as an atheist. ;)
You people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Woes to Scribes and Pharisees
…23"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. 24"You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! 25"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-
And that is from where, Matthew?

EDIT: Oh by the way I get what you mean, quite agree btw, just saying you should quote your sources, I know we all know it's from that weighty old tome, just a post of the passage bkx:vx:chx so we can read it for ourselves, get some context maybe might be nice, kinda what I was going on about before with the pride comes before the fall thing. It's nice to be able to check stuff, it's if nothing else polite to be able to give people the chance without having to spend way too much time on google than they need to. It's after all that sort of world where you time is precious now. It was indeed from Matthew, thought I recognised the literary style: 23:23 it took me far longer than it should of done, and now I don't have time t
Last edited by Blaggard on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Arising wrote:
:lol: Not much of a 'alpha male' then.

You think he'll be listening to advice, let alone a woman's?

Coming from the quintessential "alpha female," he will. :wink:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

reasonvemotion wrote:Coming from the quintessential "alpha female," he will. :wink:
Not if he's an Alpha Male he won't. Your role is to lead the women.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Arising:
Not if he's an Alpha Male he won't. Your role is to lead the women.
I am a woman.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

reasonvemotion wrote:I am a woman.
Dur! And one who winks at herself as the quintessential "alpha female" I thought? As such he won't be listening to you no matter what you think.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Don't be like that....

are you feeling foolish?

There, there.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

reasonvemotion wrote:Don't be like that....

are you feeling foolish?

There, there.
Why would I? It was your mistake.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Arising:
Why would I? It was your mistake.
Of course, you are right and we are wrong. Isn't that so Arousing_jerkin.gherkin.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I am neither here nor there.

I do think, though, this thread is demonstrating well the pitfalls of pride, although not intentionally...
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

reasonvemotion wrote:Of course, you are right and we are wrong. Isn't that so Arousing_jerkin.gherkin.
Nothing to do with 'we'.

Try reading our interchange again.

I laughed at the irony of your idea that an alpha-male needs the advice of a women to re-assert himself.

You told me that he'd be listening to the quintessential alpha-female, how you think of yourself I presumed, even with the wink.

I said not as he's an alpha-male and the alpha-females role is to rule the women not to tell the male what to do.

For some reason you decided to tell me you were a women.

Now given everything I said before apparently showed that I knew this I replied(admittedly fairly rudely) that he still won't be listening to you.

You then started with a load of nonsense due I suppose to you getting upset about me in another thread.

Clear enough for you emotionandnoreason?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Thanks for the point by point post, as being a woman I don't have a brain.
Your role is to lead the women.
Thank you again, I didn't realise you were referring to the Alpha woman.

Arousing_jerkin.gherkin wrote:

Did I?

I could swear I said "I am a woman"

You are like a rabid dog with a bone.

AMod wrote:
.........being with a women

AMod made the same mistake. Are you one and the same?
prof

Post by prof »

The best way to employ the concept 'pride' is, when hearing of someone's accomplishment from the individual who did the achievement, is to say to that person: "I'm proud of you!"

To feel some pride yourself is not so bad, as long as you don't talk about it. If you did talk about it, you would be bragging.

The one who knows his Ethics, and lives it, treasures the quality of Humility, and strives to be humble. If you are congratulated for some reason, just say "Thank you."
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

prof wrote:The best way to employ the concept 'pride' is, when hearing of someone's accomplishment from the individual who did the achievement, is to say to that person: "I'm proud of you!"

To feel some pride yourself is not so bad, as long as you don't talk about it. If you did talk about it, you would be bragging.

The one who knows his Ethics, and lives it, treasures the quality of Humility, and strives to be humble. If you are congratulated for some reason, just say "Thank you."
It's always good to keep humbleness as well as to be genuinely humble. Too many people, unfortunately, brag so much about their accomplishments that they don't realize they they are propping themselves up against everyone else, and that it also lowers their conscience to that of a hypocrite (as in omitting their dark sides and dark deeds in promoting their accomplishments and harshly denouncing others' dark side). As Jesus said, "If you exalt yourself, you will be humbled; if you humble yourself, you will be exalted".
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

reasonvemotion wrote:Thanks for the point by point post, as being a woman I don't have a brain.
Not something I believe.
Your role is to lead the women.
Thank you again, I didn't realise you were referring to the Alpha woman.
Ah! Then I apologise for my unclarity as I didn't truly believe you weren't referring to yourself. As such consider all my conversation as applying to this alpha-woman you mentioned.
Arousing_jerkin.gherkin wrote:
Did I?

I could swear I said "I am a woman"

You are like a rabid dog with a bone.
True. And :lol: I see your point now. :oops: My apologies again and thank you for the correction no matter how slow I was in getting it I appreciate the effort.
AMod wrote:
.........being with a women

AMod made the same mistake. Are you one and the same?
Took a look and :lol: he certainly appears to have a multiple fantasy. His subconscious must be working overtime and I suspect it's going to be a painful revelation.

And nah! Gave-up being mod a long-time back as I couldn't have conversations like this.
p.s.
Nice example of pride goeth and males I think :) or is that :oops: ?
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

reasonvemotion wrote:Blaggard wrote:
It's not a male characteristic it's a human characteristic to say otherwise would be to say women are somehow unable to experience or less able to or do so in a way that could not be defined it and that would be absurd, ok the way both sexes experience pride may be different but it's a human emotion, bringing sex into it is absurd.
What I meant is pride is usually synonyms with males, meaning it is more closely associated with the male, when mentioning pride, it calls to mind the male species. For example in A Treatise of Human Nature (1739) Hume compares the emotions felt by humans and a selection of animals and in a discussion concerning pride and humility refers to the swan, the turkey, the peacock. What might seem a little odd, given the modern turkey’s reputation for stupidity, is that Hume considers it to be one of the “nobler kind” and furthermore, that it is prideful because of its “beauty” (but only in the male). A woman is inclined to make herself appear submissive to the man, as men are predominantly leaders and have a natural tendency to take charge, show some muscle, whether it be body or mind, puff out their chests, scare away any possible suitors from the woman of their choice and prove their abilities to provide for a family, but things have changed. The rise of new families such as lesbianism, quells the need to depend on a male and a powerful female is a direct threat to manhood. Feminism poses the biggest threat to male survival and the Alpha male needs to re-emerge and assert himself, although sadly I think this rare breed of man is practically extinct.
I see that clarifies it, I agree then.