Despair...There is no Imperative For Change

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Which...I guess, is depressing...

According to the - National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2010 Emergency Department Summary Tables, table 17 of year 2010...

There were over TWICE as many suicides than homicides in the United States
for this given period of time.

Suicides – 38,364

Homicides – 16,259

What does this tell us and why?

I don't know...

The emotion to take ones own life; to give-up upon this life is stronger than the violent urge to kill others?

Whatever the literal message could be it feels sad. Which, I guess, is not helping.

If there must be a thesis statement for this thread perhaps it would be that depression forces us to look inward?...so we kill the one closest to us?

I don't know what could change. There cannot be an imperative.

Don't we all own a quiet piece of this despair?

Have you ever been depressed?

How depressed?

Your deepest depression...what, do you perceive, lead to that?

Arising_uk

Re: Despair...There is no Imperative For Change

Post by Arising_uk »

Reading Nietzsche snuck an unexpected bout upon me. But then I read him again and he gave me one of the biggest belly-laughs when I got it.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Imperatives in the natural world arise from affections in that we naturally want to perpetuate (at some quantity and positions in time) that which we love (in a vague sense).

Imperatives arise when that which we want to see perpetuated is under threat, at that point we have an imperative for change that drives us to act.

In the case of depression one might not know what one loves and likes because it does not significantly appear in ones life, it is a bit like loosing sight of the carrot in which case the stick no longer works. What one does when that happen, is to focus again on what one likes, one has to, in the depths ones mind, recover the treasure of being able to love, by finding the object of love.

This can be a person, item or an entire environment, something else, or a combination of them all. If this post of yours is one of self-expression Wiltrack, then I must ask if you've remembered to masturbate recently? It helps a lot finding back the carrot :D Else you'll just have to look for your treasure.
madera

Post by madera »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Which...I guess, is depressing...

According to the - National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2010 Emergency Department Summary Tables, table 17 of year 2010...

There were over TWICE as many suicides than homicides in the United States
for this given period of time.

Suicides – 38,364

Homicides – 16,259

What does this tell us and why?

I don't know...

The emotion to take ones own life; to give-up upon this life is stronger than the violent urge to kill others?

Whatever the literal message could be it feels sad. Which, I guess, is not helping.

If there must be a thesis statement for this thread perhaps it would be that depression forces us to look inward?...so we kill the one closest to us?

Don't we all own a quiet piece of this despair?

Have you ever been depressed?

How depressed?

Your deepest depression...what, do you perceive, lead to that?

I responded but, it did not show. I wonder why.