The axiom of Ethics: A breakthrough in Ethical Theory.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

The axiom of Ethics: A breakthrough in Ethical Theory.

Post by prof »

Ethics needs transformative innovation in order to be taken more seriously by the people of the world. Innovation does not have to mean the discarding of the old; it may include the traditional, absorbing it into its creative new paradigm. Ethics has traditionally been about conduct. The axiom we shall offer is stated as an imperative. This implies action and conduct. Ethics has traditionally offered principles to live by. The axiom is such a principle, - along with the definition of “ethics” itself - many other principles follow by implication.

The axiom of Ethics is:
Make things morally better!

Let’s define our terms: How do we make things better in general? We add value. What is “value”? Something has value when it has the properties necessary to fulfill its meaning. Value is a function of meaning; the more meaningful something is,, the more valuable it is. For purposes of measurement, a meaning can be considered as a set of descriptors – a subset of which is the definition of the concept of which the valued item or individual is a member. Everything falls under some concept, even a person has a self-concept, (consisting of a Proper Name, a material body along with a set of behaviors – one’s conduct - as well as “a Self”: [ a self-image, an identity, a set of principles one lives by, one’s value structure.])

What does “better” mean? It is a relation between two (or more) things that fall under the same concept. “x is better than y” if, and only if, x is a member of the class-concept C, y is a member of the class-concept C, and x has more of the C-properties than y has. In other words, one individual item is better than another individual item if it more fulfills the meaning of C than the other does; then it is more valuable. To be better is to be more valuable.

When we speak of morally better we are speaking of moral agents, of people. We have brought Individuals into the picture. Recall (from my previous threads and blogs - a list of a few are given below) that by definition “Ethics” is a body of knowledge, a study, a discipline that arises when a living conscious individual, or a group of such living individuals are seen in a certain way, namely, are viewed as Intrinsic values. When we Intrinsically-value someone we are being ethical. So Ethics is a perspective on people. {Let us at least grant that... before – as Peter Singer suggests we do - the concept may be extended, if you wish, to other conscious creatures.} Ethics is concerned with living people, and how we relate to them. It is not a matter of controversy that ethics deals with how we treat each other.

How does one add value?
For that, as you may recall, is 'what ethics is about,' as argued in a chapter – which bears the title "Adding Value-A central principle" - pp. 28-29, in my book, A Unified Theory of Ethics. http://tinyurl.com/crz6xea
The Axiom, once it is accepted as reasonable, directs us to add value or to make things better. This is a creative process. Fortunately there are guidelines as to how one creates value in a situation. It is by being mindful of it, asking oneself questions, and intending to succeed in doing it. Then all the principles of success come into play.

For example, if one believes that cooperation would contribute to making things morally better, then the project becomes: How encourage cooperation, and further it along? Would it help to do so? Once the Axiom of Ethics, and the definition of Ethics, are found to be acceptable by you, the reader, lots of questions that start off with the word “How” arise. And these are questions to which science and technology can make contributions.

Let’s continue this discussion in subsequent posts. I’ve said enough for now to get the project started, haven’t I?

How do you feel about these points? Can you buy into it? If not, why not?. If you do, or if you don’t …make it better.

:idea: See also the initial post in these threads: The Beautiful Simplicity of Ethical Concepts viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9512

Ethics in a Nutshell viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10509

Is there evidence for objective morality? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9503
tbieter

Re: The axiom of Ethics: A breakthrough in Ethical Theory.

Post by tbieter »

The axiom of Ethics is:
Make things morally better!

Let’s define our terms: How do we make things better in general? We add value. What is “value”? Something has value when it has the properties necessary to fulfill its meaning. Value is a function of meaning; the more meaningful something is,, the more valuable it is. For purposes of measurement, a meaning can be considered as a set of descriptors – a subset of which is the definition of the concept of which the valued item or individual is a member. Everything falls under some concept, even a person has a self-concept, (
The axiom prompts me to wonder how it is to be applied relative to the problem of the intentional destruction (abortion) of the human fetus, or "unborn child."

Is a human fetus something (a thing) that "
... has value when it has the properties necessary to fulfill its meaning.

Isn't the human fetus a being
that is human and complete in the womb and in its necessary properties?

What thing is more meaningful than a being that is human (a born human child)?

What can man add to such a born human being to make it more meaningful ("Making things morally better")in accordance with the prof's axiom?
prof

Post by prof »

Greetings, tbieter

Nothing is more meaningful than a child just born. For the child, when grown, could turn out to be the best and brightest leader of all mankind facilitating the planetary consciousness, the arrival of a worldwide civilization, or this child may make a major contribution to the goal, the ultimate purpose, of a quality life for one and all.

Be careful not to obfuscate: do not shift midstream in your argumentation from the concept "fetus" to the concept "child." They are two different and distinct concepts, not to be confused with one another. We have the two different concepts for good reasons.

Yes, I am pro-life; I am also pro-choice. I once at another site, on applied ethics, wrote a thorough essay proposing a compromise position on which abortionists and anti-abortionists could find common ground. Critics told me then that the "pro-lifers" did not want to compromise; they weren't looking for one. The implication was that they were rigid and dogmatic in their views. Both sides want as few abortions as possible but many on one side will not recognize nor acknowledge the morning-after pill as a reasonable measure to avoid the necessity for surgery.

I could reproduce the blog if there is sufficient interest in seeing it. And yes, my ethical theory is powerful enough to produce rational theses on this topic you raise that is a case of Applied Ethics, and do so by deduction as well as induction.
prof

Post by prof »

I'd like some feedback as to what you think about this new Axiom for Ethics.

Is it sufficient, or are more axioms necessary? Is it a breakthrough -- if indeed it can generate an entire system accounting for much, if not most, of the ethical data? The claim is made here that it can do it. A lot of principles have already been deduced, as you can tell from looking over the writings of M. C.. Katz, and by researching current and back editions of The Journal of Formal and Applied Axiology.

Ethical data include instances of volunteerism to alleviate suffering, altruistic acts, celebrities making efforts to serve as moral role models, teaching and uplifting the less-advantaged children and youth.

Further data: acts of heroism; acts of whistle-blowing; cases where corruption or temptation to do something immoral were resisted; times when long-term consideration triumphed over short-term; situations where some beautiful cooperation took place; joy was actually experienced in the workplace; instances when responsibility was assumed; or individuals held themselves accountable for errors they committed; businesses dedicated themselves to being 'social enterprises' or workers-cooperatives engaged in gain-sharing, etc.
prof

Post by prof »

Ethics, the body of useful knowledge, informs us that those with normal (non-damaged) brains are prewired to be ethical in this sense: we have a moral intuition (largely operating in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex) and a more calculating thought process (situated mostly in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.) And we have mirror neurons which pick up the vibes of others as shown by the varying degrees of empathy which individuals have. Some have a greater capacity for empathy - for Intrinsic valuation - than others do.

Our intuitions can be trusted when they are confirmed by the calculations of the cerebral cortex, and our calculations can be relied upon when confirmed by our "gut instincts," ...our intuition. The two do not have to conflict, and they usually don't in life - except when we make up hypothetical dilemmas that force them to do so - such as Phillipa Foot's Trolley Dilemma (which, when she first propounded it, she hoped it would support Virtue Theory by ridiculing Consequentialism.) As I argue in my booklet, BASIC ETHICS - http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BASIC%20ETHICS.pdf - we need them both ..and Deontology as well. {In fact, all these perspectives are absorbed into the system, the Unified Theory of Ethics [the UTE] ...or simply, Ethics, for short.

The Principle of Inclusivity is spelled out in that theory, in the UTE. The principle directs us to extend our 'ethical radius', our ethical compass, as far as we can. It unites us with them (those of us in our in-group with those who are outside of it.) BASIC ETHICS argues that for all practical purposes "there are no strangers." In this global village we are all neighbors.

Ethical people get beyond tribalism.

What do you say to all this?? I want to hear your opinions.
prof

Post by prof »

"If people knew better, they'd do better." --- Maya Angelou

Socrates believed this too.

Do you agree?
If not, why not?
prof

Post by prof »

:idea: Has anyone here, besides Immanuel Can, read Katz - BASIC ETHICS yet??

BASIC ETHICS: A systematic approach

Here is a link to it:
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BASIC%20ETHICS.pdf

Is it too long to give it a good perusal, a once-over? You could set aside an hour to soak up the philosophy you find there. Is it worth it? Will you have a better grasp of Ethics as a result?

Possibly, yes.

But only if you read it carefully. The first part takes some study and reflection. Later on, it becomes easy reading as it goes into applications of ethics. It shows to what a wide array of ethical and moral topics the system applies.
:)

What were your impressions of it? Please share them with us.
prof

Post by prof »

We know there are problems in the U.S.A. and throughout the world. That is not exactly news. Let's not waste energy whining about it.

Obviously, the first three posts here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12194 of the thread telling us why ethics is necessary were not enough to convince a sufficient number of the American public that ethics is necessary, and to reach a tipping point which enables the rest of the world to see it too..... : So

Let's be solution-minded.

:idea:Is this the answer - is this what it takes? - for teaching others the fundamentals of Ethics? : You will make money and have a better sex life if you learn Ethics and live it ...put it into practice.

:wink:

Once we learn our Ethics, and live it, we set a shining example.
And that will speak louder than words. :D

What are your views on this issue? How would you proceed to teach ethics?

And do you like the definition of "Ethics" and the proposed "Axiom of Ethics"?
prof

Post by prof »

As you may recall, the Axiom reads: Make things morally better !

The question came up: Make things better for what?

I respond: Better for the health and well-being of individual people and their social groups. Both 'health' and 'well-being' are flexible concepts which, as we learn more, are expanded in meaning. You know if you have 'well-being.' It means you have a quality life: you are content, relatively secure, comfortable financially. If you know your Ethics, you want this for others too. You want to make a difference; you don't want to have lived in vain. So let's make things better for people.

Let's work on eliminating the misery. This takes priority over having one more billionaire in our city or country. Let's lift up people, from the bottom up. "Trickle down" does not work: as the evidence reveals .So it is incumbent upon us to empower folks so that they have a say in policies that affect their lives. Let's work to arrange for direct democracy.

{Note that I am in full agreement with Sam Harris in what he emphasizes in his book, THE MORAL LANDSCAPE. The system presented in BASIC ETHICS absorbs into itself the Consequentialism of Dr. Harris. It does this as well for Virtue Theory and for Deontology. It synthesizes them all into the new paradigm for ethics. There is no conflict. They are not competitors. We need them all. Dr. Harris is wrong to focus on just one of these schools of thought.}

Your views?
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

I think if I were going to teach ethics, I would ask students to ctreate their own morals: What maxims are you prepared to live by and that you would want others to live by as well?

By going through this process the students would actually get to own the maxims that they come up with. They would not come from some detached authority that had little understanding of the common situation.

Also as a philosopher, I would gain some understanding of what people actually want and what morals they want to live by.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

prof wrote:As you may recall, the Axiom reads: Make things morally better !

I respond: Better for the health and well-being of individual people and their social groups. Both 'health' and 'well-being' are flexible concepts which, as we learn more, are expanded in meaning. You know if you have 'well-being.' It means you have a quality life: you are content, relatively secure, comfortable financially. If you know your Ethics, you want this for others too. You want to make a difference; you don't want to have lived in vain. So let's make things better for people.

Let's work on eliminating the misery. This takes priority over having one more billionaire in our city or country. Let's lift up people, from the bottom up. "Trickle down" does not work: as the evidence reveals .So it is incumbent upon us to empower folks so that they have a say in policies that affect their lives. Let's work to arrange for direct democracy.

{Note that I am in full agreement with Sam Harris in what he emphasizes in his book, THE MORAL LANDSCAPE. The system presented in BASIC ETHICS absorbs into itself the Consequentialism of Dr. Harris. It does this as well for Virtue Theory and for Deontology. It synthesizes them all into the new paradigm for ethics. There is no conflict. They are not competitors. We need them all. Dr. Harris is wrong to focus on just one of these schools of thought.}
What is the role of reverence in this "new paradigm of ethics"?

Your views?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

A_Seagull wrote:I think if I were going to teach ethics, I would ask students to ctreate their own morals: What maxims are you prepared to live by and that you would want others to live by as well?

By going through this process the students would actually get to own the maxims that they come up with. They would not come from some detached authority that had little understanding of the common situation.

Also as a philosopher, I would gain some understanding of what people actually want and what morals they want to live by.
That would be disasterous, to let the narcissist, the psychopath, the retard and all of the funky bunch to make up their own ethics.

Not very clever!
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

HexHammer wrote:
A_Seagull wrote:I think if I were going to teach ethics, I would ask students to ctreate their own morals: What maxims are you prepared to live by and that you would want others to live by as well?

That would be disasterous, to let the narcissist, the psychopath, the retard and all of the funky bunch to make up their own ethics.

Not very clever!
Would you prefer that they listen to some ivory-towered academic pontificate about morality for their entertainment so that they can laugh at them and ignore them?

It is precisely those people you list that need to be guided by morality, and if they don't own them then they are going to ignore them.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

A_Seagull wrote:Would you prefer that they listen to some ivory-towered academic pontificate about morality for their entertainment so that they can laugh at them and ignore them?

It is precisely those people you list that need to be guided by morality, and if they don't own them then they are going to ignore them.
Fortunaly I had good parents who brought me up right, dunno the exact cure.

But none the less don't let the funky bunch make up their own shit!
prof

Post by prof »

tbieter wrote:
prof wrote:As you may recall, the Axiom reads: Make things morally better !

... We need them all. [It's] wrong to focus on just one of these schools of thought [to the exclusion of the others.]
What is the role of reverence in this "new paradigm of ethics"?

Your views?
Reverence is very similar to potentiated Intrinsic valuation. In my writings I often speak of Intrinsic value. In fact, the very definition of 'Ethics', as you may recall, is based on this concept. Ethics arises when we see individuals as Intrinsically valuable. Lots of deductions follow from this as to how we are to treat one another. To learn about other applications of Intrinsic valuation, see BASIC ETHICS: A systematic approach. Of course, that essay is (ethical) theory, and I-valuing is a quantum leap above mere theory on the values spectrum. If we were to get into spirituality - which is usually associated with reverence - that would take us far afield. Here is not the place for it. At this specific Forum let us focus on the Ethical perspective.

So study BASIC ETHICS, and then we'll discuss it. http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BASIC%20ETHICS.pdf You may want to skip over the first 20 pages, where it gets philosophically technical. There are plenty of ideas to enjoy in the rest of it.